Tank spreading in Europe / Germany - Page 3 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 106 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2010, 12:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbiker View Post
I think it's ironic that at in the midwestern US where I live and much of the corn is grown, I can still buy ethonal free gas. Most stations here carry three grades, with one grade being E10. E10 also has 10 cents less per gallon tax than the other two straight gas grades to encourage people to buy it.
not sure where you are but there's no EtOH free gas sold in my area...

2002 998 SBK _ 2004 SS1000 _ 2007 GT1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 106 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2010, 2:27 am

Also had my tank replaced 1 month ago, no questions asked just send in my pictures and maintenance history and voila, new tank. Dealer was as surprised as i was

Also wondering whether i should coat the tank, since if it happens in the future i am not sure whether they will give me a replacement or even have any.

Edit: From Holland btw

Ducati sportclassic Biposto 2007, termi's, dp ecu and airfilter, hyperpro forks and a new tank
post #23 of 106 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2010, 4:33 am

Knock on wood… my tank is still in perfect shape…

2007 SC Biposto

post #24 of 106 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2010, 9:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolagent View Post
Knock on wood… my tank is still in perfect shape…
AHAH!.......Your tank is made of wood.......maybe that is why it is still in perfect shape. Exceeding cunning, these Bavarians!

Bolder

They told me to act my age: so I'm riding like there's no tomorrow!

2008 Ducati Sport 1000 Biposto
2005 Kawasaki ZZR1200
1957 Velocette Venom
1983 Suzuki GS750ES (passed to next generation)
post #25 of 106 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2010, 10:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolder Biker View Post
AHAH!.......Your tank is made of wood.......maybe that is why it is still in perfect shape. Exceeding cunning, these Bavarians!

Bolder
Its because they fill it up with beer, and thank god there is no ethanol in that

Ducati sportclassic Biposto 2007, termi's, dp ecu and airfilter, hyperpro forks and a new tank
post #26 of 106 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2010, 10:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jv-h View Post
Its because they fill it up with beer, and thank god there is no ethanol in that
But beer makes lot of bodies swell… especially around the waistline

2007 SC Biposto
post #27 of 106 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2010, 10:07 am

Bingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbiker View Post
I think it's ironic that at in the midwestern US where I live and much of the corn is grown, I can still buy ethonal free gas. Most stations here carry three grades, with one grade being E10. E10 also has 10 cents less per gallon tax than the other two straight gas grades to encourage people to buy it.
That's what I would like to see. Give us a choice to pay more for our E-zero for ducs, porsches, etc. Let the earth huggers who believe corn should be fuel save money and be smug. I don't give a sh-- if they think it saves the earth, cools the planet, warms the planet, relieves bunions, great!

It's funny when you research the real environmental cost of a Prius you find out a well performing gas or diesel car is better. But as with Ethanol, don't confuse us with facts.

2009 MTS 1100S, 2015 Vespa GTS
post #28 of 106 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2010, 10:10 am

plastic fuel tanks can be made ethanol-tolerant

I have a 2002 Triumph Speed Triple with 19K miles and a rotomolded plastic fuel tank. No deformation problems. It is fueled from the same sources as my Paul Smart 1000, which has bulging-tank syndrome.

This tells me it is possible to formulate an ethanol-tolerant polymer and make durable fuel tanks with it. But Ducati/Acerbis didn't do it.

Minister

2007 S4RS, 1994 900SS, 1988 Honda NT650, 1973 Laverda SF1, Many Euro Dirt bikes, 1964 Triumph Trophy 650, 1954 Matchless 350 G3LS
post #29 of 106 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2010, 10:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunbay View Post
I have a 2002 Triumph Speed Triple with 19K miles and a rotomolded plastic fuel tank. No deformation problems. It is fueled from the same sources as my Paul Smart 1000, which has bulging-tank syndrome.

This tells me it is possible to formulate an ethanol-tolerant polymer and make durable fuel tanks with it. But Ducati/Acerbis didn't do it.
Apparently, Triumph plastic tanks are prone to the same type of issue with ethanol:

My plastic tank failed (cracked) - '04 RS - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums

It is definitely not a Ducati-specific problem (or a motorcycle-specific problem, for that matter).

2011 Monster 796
2007 Sport 1000 SE (SOLD)
post #30 of 106 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2010, 2:17 pm

KTM has problems… Aprilia has problems… but Acerbis is the manufacturing partner for those companies as well as for Ducati…

I have heard of badly swollen tanks from guys riding through Brazil on their LC4s

2007 SC Biposto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode