Tank spreading in Europe / Germany - Page 11 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 106 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2011, 11:42 am

I read a report by a technical guy, who said that the problem is not caused by ethanol itself, but the water created by phase seperation. Apparently, water is absorbed by nylon, which softens it. Nylon also gives up it's water freely, so if a swollen tank is allowed to dry out, it will return to it's original shape.

So, how do we prevent phase separation taking place?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 106 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2011, 1:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duccout View Post
So if a swollen tank is allowed to dry out, it will return to it's original shape.
Maybe . . . but don't hold your breath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duccout View Post
So, how do we prevent phase separation taking place?
I tried an additive that the boating industry recommends to prevent phase separation. It didn't do much. The tank still expanded. The only thing that worked for me was to have the tank coated.

Ducati Paul Smart LE
BMW R1200GS
Triumph Bonneville
post #103 of 106 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2012, 3:33 pm Thread Starter

May I resurrect this old thread? Sure ...

Concerning the differences between version A and B of the tanks, I did some measurements at the time when I was dealing with this issue, which I didn't report back then.
Today I ran out of gas with the low-fuel digital odometer showing 56 km.
Before swapping the tank version A with the version B + Caswell, I had consistently determined that while driving fuel-efficient, I was able to run on reserve for at least 70+ km. Once I even ran as much as 85 km before finally finding a petrol station
Anyhow ... this brings me to the measurements I did last year ...

The GT tank should hold 15 l out of factory (specs). My old tank, version A, could be filled up from fully empty, with the bike in vertical position, with 14.5 l. After Caswell-ing my second tank, version B, I did the same measurement and came up with 13.25 l. When I coated the tank, I measured the volume of Caswell I poured into the tank, then subtracted the amount that dropped out of the tank after having sloshed it around, so I know that I distributed into the tank 0.25 l of Caswell. This means that the original new-from-factory version B tank holds 13.5 l fuel ... 1 l less than version A. That correlates well with the difference in weight between the two versions. I measured roughly 1.1 kg in weight difference (version B - version A). With the density of PA being around 1.15 g/cm³ the weight difference should reduce the internal volume by around 1 l; as the external shape is the same between the two versions.

So this undermines the theory that version B was a short-term answer (which might very well turn into a long-term "fix") for tank-spreading issues in Europe. More material means thicker walls, thus more rigidity against deformation.

I think that the bottom part of the tank receives much more additional material, thus reducing inner volume of the lower part of the tank more than the upper part. This might be on purpose ... the lower parts of the tank are obviously in contact with fuel nearly always, as opposed to the upper part of the tank, which is only in contact with fuel when you have just filled up. This also explains, why the "loss" of internal volume between my first tank and my second tank substantially reduces the distance I can now drive once the low-fuel light goes on.

/Simone

2006 gray GT1000

post #104 of 106 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2012, 2:36 am

Hi Simone,

I just bought my SC1000 06 3 weeks ago. I am worried that Ducati will not replace my tank, because the bike its already 6 years old. Although I bought it with no KM. Should I coat the original tank or wait for it to spread? As I heard that I will get no replacement it is coated. I am a little confused here...
post #105 of 106 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2012, 7:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by htamoto68 View Post
Hi Simone,

I just bought my SC1000 06 3 weeks ago. I am worried that Ducati will not replace my tank, because the bike its already 6 years old. Although I bought it with no KM. Should I coat the original tank or wait for it to spread? As I heard that I will get no replacement it is coated. I am a little confused here...
They will. Read here:
Tank Replacement post-Class Action Lawsuit

CU3RVO

2006 Monoposto, Yellow...

When asking a Ducati owner if he had any problems with his bike, his response was:
"The only problem I've had is attractive women divesting themselves of their clothing and rubbing their naughty bits on my leg while they lick the gas tank. Makes it hard to pull away from a red light,...... sometimes."

post #106 of 106 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2012, 7:59 am

Actually, I have pretty much the same question; I'm in Asia and the 3rd owner of a GT1000 (2009 model) with over 25,000 miles. "If" the tank spreads (I believe ethanol isn't an issue here), can I get a new one? I was under the impression the lawsuit was only for the US.
-David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode