Tank spreading permanent fix? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2010, 8:47 am Thread Starter

Tank spreading permanent fix?

So....is there a permanent fix for this? I'd love to get an SC, but if i'm gonna have a love-hate relationship with it, I'm gonna have a hard time.

I never had that with my previous Duc and I am Ducatista for life....but I don't wanna spoil the memories....ya know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2010, 9:04 am

There's lotsa chatter about this issue here, but here's the Reader's Digest version of the "permanent fix".

Since many people have had their plastic tanks replaced at least once, Ducati will supposedly have a metal one available in the next few months. Since the issue is considered one that's covered by Ducati's 5 year emissions system warranty, you won't have to worry about getting a spreading tank warrantied if the regular 2 year warranty is up.

It seems that most dealers won't replace one they believe can be fixed by shimming, so how easy it is to warranty one is largely dependent on the dealer.

Based on the most popular theory that ethanol gas is the culprit, some here have lined their tanks to prevent spreading, and there's plenty of info here on the details of that. Other's have recently been using additives designed to prevent the ethanol from working its alleged evil.

Also, it's important to remember that not everyone has had a spreading tank, although I think those that have outnumber those of us who haven't by 2 to 1 or more.

'07 GT1000 - rosso - sold 2013
-CRG bar end mirrors
-Fat Duc O2 Manipulator
-National Cycle F-16 Sportshield
-14T front sprocket
-2nd tank (not the "bling" I'm most proud of)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2010, 10:08 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesare57 View Post
There's lotsa chatter about this issue here, but here's the Reader's Digest version of the "permanent fix".

Since many people have had their plastic tanks replaced at least once, Ducati will supposedly have a metal one available in the next few months. Since the issue is considered one that's covered by Ducati's 5 year emissions system warranty, you won't have to worry about getting a spreading tank warrantied if the regular 2 year warranty is up.

It seems that most dealers won't replace one they believe can be fixed by shimming, so how easy it is to warranty one is largely dependent on the dealer.

Based on the most popular theory that ethanol gas is the culprit, some here have lined their tanks to prevent spreading, and there's plenty of info here on the details of that. Other's have recently been using additives designed to prevent the ethanol from working its alleged evil.

Also, it's important to remember that not everyone has had a spreading tank, although I think those that have outnumber those of us who haven't by 2 to 1 or more.
Thanks for the quick reply!! I love this board.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2010, 10:30 am

Where is this info about a metal tank coming from? I haven't seen that.

'07 Sport 1000 Biposto, Red

WMRAcing - "With the numbers posted, they'll just go back to their espresso and cigarettes and work on another new line of jackets"
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2010, 11:12 am

Yeah where are you getting this information? That would be great if this is true. I also worry about my tank if I have to get mine replaced from ducati I will look into getting the tank coated. I heard that will fix the problem. But hat is also around $300 to do that.

Quote:

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2010, 11:19 am
Lifetime Premium

Do we really another thread on this subject? There are already two sticky threads.

Ventura County Ducati Owners Club (VCDOC)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2010, 11:34 am
Master of Bumnitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketbrothers540 View Post
I also worry about my tank if I have to get mine replaced from ducati I will look into getting the tank coated. I heard that will fix the problem.
My concern with this is long term flaking.

The classic tank coating is Kreem, although newer epoxy-based products are available. To my knowledge these are designed to be used on metal tanks, and even then only after an etching compound has been used to create a surface that the coating can bind with. Without that the coating can flake off leaving you with a worse problem than you started with.

Are plastic tanks "etchable?" Will the coatings adhere long-term to a slick plastic surface?

???

-don

DUCeditor
Ducatis Unlimited Connection
http://duc-bz.github.com/

http://donstnt.blogspot.com/

"Old rockers never die"
(They just keep asking everyone to repeat themselves because THEY'RE BLOODY DEAF)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2010, 12:02 pm
Official Sponsor

So far we have done 50 plus tanks and none have spread or failed.
If done properly our coating will do what it's supposed to do. It was designed for multiple types of tanks.
If the coating fails we'll redo it for free.

Kreem is really not for our tanks and I would not recommend it.
There are other types of coatings that we use and they too will hold up but the method we are using so far is the best

I would think DNA will eventually look into this method to correct the tank problem.

Ducati dealers that offer this service are now charging $250
email or call us if you want your tank sealed.

jc@jcpakbikes.com
626 794 6439

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUCeditor View Post
My concern with this is long term flaking.

The classic tank coating is Kreem, although newer epoxy-based products are available. To my knowledge these are designed to be used on metal tanks, and even then only after an etching compound has been used to create a surface that the coating can bind with. Without that the coating can flake off leaving you with a worse problem than you started with.

Are plastic tanks "etchable?" Will the coatings adhere long-term to a slick plastic surface?

???

-don

jc@jcpakbikes.com
sportclassicspecialties.com
JCPAKBIKES.COM
FACEBOOK JC/PAK BIKES
FACEBOOK GT1000
FACEBOOK PS1000LE

FLEDA TRON LEGACY
ALPINA WHEELS USA
AELLA-CASUNO / NCR / DISCACCIATI / CARBON DRY / BITUBO / MUPO
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2010, 12:23 pm
Lifetime Premium

$250 to fix my defective tank. Does not make cents...

Ventura County Ducati Owners Club (VCDOC)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2010, 12:32 pm

Sorry for the repost My phone did something weird. My bad.

Yeah where are you getting this information? That would be great if this is true. I also worry about my tank if I have to get mine replaced from ducati I will look into getting the tank coated. I heard that will fix the problem. But hat is also around $300 to do that.

Quote:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode