Sonofab----!!!! - Page 6 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 53 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 10:47 am

I guess I still don't get what's so hard about this? My '06 Sport 1000 (bought new in 1/09) has had no tank spread problem yet, probably because I've been extremely careful NEVER to put a DROP of ethanol crap-gas into the tank! We should all know by now that this is the problem, and that this garbage will melt almost anything given enough time and exposure. I refuse to use it in any of my bikes and go well out of my way to fill up only at stations that can assure me their premium is alcohol-free. Problem avoided.

Also, I'm not sure the Sport Classics (except possibly the GT?) were ever really meant to be daily transportation. These are bikes for the "special" rides we take, not meant to sit all day in the sun and weather. My guess is that a little more TLC, and strict avoidance of ethanol, would prevent 99% of the fuel tank problems discussed endlessly in this forum.

2006 Sport 1000 RED
2006 ST3s
1982 Kawasaki GPz550 stock/mint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 53 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 12:16 pm Thread Starter

That's fantastic.

But here in my part of Virginia, a mix of up to 10% ethanol in the fuel is UNAVOIDABLE. I won't be driving (or riding), several hundred miles, just to get fuel without ethanol. It's not practical, reasonable, or conceivable.

FYI, here's a list of 10 stations in the commonwealth of Virginia, without ethanol blended fuel.

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=VA

And I flat-out REFUSE to not ride my motorbike for any reason I can find. I didn't spend my hard-earned money on something to hold down the floor of a temperature controlled garage, just so I can stare at it, and maybe take it out for a spin around the block two or three times a year. If you're one of those types of riders, that's great. To each his own. But I'm DAMN proud of the 8,000 miles I've put on my bike in the past 7 months (2 of which it sat, due to snow/freezing).

I also refuse to believe this is 100% to blame on ethanol blended fuel. My Sport sat for a month with a full tank of gas, under the cover, outside in the cold, and never spread one milimeter. Suddenly, now that it's warm, and the tank has sat in the sun, sometimes with an empty tank, I'm noticing spreading. If ethanol blended fuel was to blame, 100% mind you, then I should have seen a slow, noticeable change in the tank from the purchase date, with no other contributing factors present.

If my bike wasn't meant to be ridden, (and ridden BALLS-OUT), I don't believe Ducati would have built it.

=====
Have camera... will ride.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Blak-...ref=ts&fref=ts
2009 Ducati Sport 1000
2003 BMW F650GS Dakar
post #53 of 53 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 12:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltTheHorizon View Post
That's fantastic.

But here in my part of Virginia, a mix of up to 10% ethanol in the fuel is UNAVOIDABLE. I won't be driving (or riding), several hundred miles, just to get fuel without ethanol. It's not practical, reasonable, or conceivable.

FYI, here's a list of 10 stations in the commonwealth of Virginia, without ethanol blended fuel.

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=VA

And I flat-out REFUSE to not ride my motorbike for any reason I can find. I didn't spend my hard-earned money on something to hold down the floor of a temperature controlled garage, just so I can stare at it, and maybe take it out for a spin around the block two or three times a year. If you're one of those types of riders, that's great. To each his own. But I'm DAMN proud of the 8,000 miles I've put on my bike in the past 7 months (2 of which it sat, due to snow/freezing).

I also refuse to believe this is 100% to blame on ethanol blended fuel. My Sport sat for a month with a full tank of gas, under the cover, outside in the cold, and never spread one milimeter. Suddenly, now that it's warm, and the tank has sat in the sun, sometimes with an empty tank, I'm noticing spreading. If ethanol blended fuel was to blame, 100% mind you, then I should have seen a slow, noticeable change in the tank from the purchase date, with no other contributing factors present.

If my bike wasn't meant to be ridden, (and ridden BALLS-OUT), I don't believe Ducati would have built it.
Dig it!!!!!

"Does this bother you? Well, don't let it..."
'07 GT1000--Cream and Black!!!!!!

www.charleshopkins.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode