Sonofab----!!!! - Page 4 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 53 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2010, 12:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltTheHorizon View Post
That's the thing... my bike sat for probably a month and a half with a full tank in the parking lot of my apartment over the winter. No spread at all.

Because of the spready issues people report, I've always been looking for it. I can guage it almost every day, when I back into my parking spot, as I have to turn the bars full left and full right, to park the bike. A few days ago was the first time I'd noticed it. The only things that "changed", was the fact that the temps were in the 90's, and the bike was parked in the hot sun with an empty tank.

Yesterday, the tank was still loose, but not nearly as "spread". Temps today are in the 50's, and I have a full tank. I'll take a photo when I get home, as I drove the truck today. It's raining.
Here's a thread from another member that had the same issue about this time last year. Everything seemed fine then one day his bike was out in the sun all day and Shazaam! - spread tank-

'09 Tank Spreading! @#$!@

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeolian View Post
I just started using STA-BIL Marine Fuel Stabilizer in my fuel ($9 bucks at your local Pep Boys) to curb the tank spreading. It has been two days in the tank and so far, it is working. The tank has stopped spreading and is going back to its original shape, little by little. The front rubber snubs are starting to seat into the mounting cups.

I'll be riding out in the sun over the weekend and I'll report back on how the SoCal sun and heat affects the tank and fuel stabilizer. Hopefully positive results.

aeolian - that sounds real promising. About how many tankfuls is the bottle good for?

'07 GT1000 - rosso - sold 2013
-CRG bar end mirrors
-Fat Duc O2 Manipulator
-National Cycle F-16 Sportshield
-14T front sprocket
-2nd tank (not the "bling" I'm most proud of)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 53 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2010, 3:02 pm
booyakasha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesare57 View Post
Here's a thread from another member that had the same issue about this time last year. Everything seemed fine then one day his bike was out in the sun all day and Shazaam! - spread tank-

'09 Tank Spreading! @#$!@

aeolian - that sounds real promising. About how many tankfuls is the bottle good for?

The 8oz bottle that I linked above treats 80 gallons of fuel.

There is also a 32oz bottle that treats 320 gallons.

The label says that when you are using Sta-Bil as a continuous, routine fuel additive (vs winter treatment/storage), it recommends using 1oz per 10 gallons of fuel. So for our gas tanks, it's slightly more than 1/4oz. That bottle is going to last a long time.

Once the bottle is opened, it says the Sta-Bil will last up to two years before it's stabilizing qualities wear off.

So those little bottles can treat a lot of fuel for a long time.

I now have no worries parking the bike with a full tank. I add Sta-Bil when I get home after a fill-up.

I have also noticed no loss in performance.

Last edited by aeolian; Apr 9th, 2010 at 3:08 pm.
post #33 of 53 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2010, 3:18 pm

Sweet! I'm gonna start doing this so that no issues arise...can't hurt right?

post #34 of 53 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2010, 4:00 pm Thread Starter

Well... not to start any kind of argument, but I haven't used any kind of stabalizer or treatment, and the tank has gone back quite a bit. Here's a pic:

What's changed? Full tank of gas, and cooler temps.

Anyway, I'll look into the fuel additive. Anyone know if there's any negative effects of this stuff? Worse mileage? Bad on engine? Void warranty?

Also, I stopped at my dealer this afternoon to talk to them about it. He told me to keep an eye on it, and see if it gets dangerously loose or spread. He said they would make sure they had a tank on hand, so when I do have to replace it, it won't take long. THAT is why I like that dealer.

What sucks is, I just ordered my DESMO stickers from JCPak. I guess I could always order another pair, if I need them.

=====
Have camera... will ride.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Blak-...ref=ts&fref=ts
2009 Ducati Sport 1000
2003 BMW F650GS Dakar
post #35 of 53 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2010, 4:33 pm
booyakasha!

One more thing I'd like to point out is that our bikes have other plastic parts in in the fuel system. For me, that's one more reason to use the additive to combat ethanol's effect on the plastics. The tank spreading is obvious because of the size of the tank. I wonder what it does to the little, unnoticed plastic parts.
post #36 of 53 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2010, 4:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeolian View Post
The 8oz bottle that I linked above treats 80 gallons of fuel.

There is also a 32oz bottle that treats 320 gallons.

The label says that when you are using Sta-Bil as a continuous, routine fuel additive (vs winter treatment/storage), it recommends using 1oz per 10 gallons of fuel. So for our gas tanks, it's slightly more than 1/4oz. That bottle is going to last a long time.

Once the bottle is opened, it says the Sta-Bil will last up to two years before it's stabilizing qualities wear off.

So those little bottles can treat a lot of fuel for a long time.

I now have no worries parking the bike with a full tank. I add Sta-Bil when I get home after a fill-up.

I have also noticed no loss in performance.
I'm sorry, but why do you think this product will have any positive affect on our bikes? I looked at their claims, and, like the other product discussed here (in another string), all it seems to do is reduce the negative effects of water in alcohol/gasoline fuels. I see nothing that even claims to affect the impact of alcohol on rubber or plastics.

I have used the regular Sta-Bil in my lawnmower, snowblower, and motorcycles, and it's a great product for reducing varnish build-up when these machines have to sit during their off-season, so I'm certainly not "dissing" either the product or the manufacturer, but I see nothing that even suggests it would do a thing for our needs.
post #37 of 53 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2010, 7:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorSoftie View Post
I'm sorry, but why do you think this product will have any positive affect on our bikes? I looked at their claims, and, like the other product discussed here (in another string), all it seems to do is reduce the negative effects of water in alcohol/gasoline fuels. I see nothing that even claims to affect the impact of alcohol on rubber or plastics.

I have used the regular Sta-Bil in my lawnmower, snowblower, and motorcycles, and it's a great product for reducing varnish build-up when these machines have to sit during their off-season, so I'm certainly not "dissing" either the product or the manufacturer, but I see nothing that even suggests it would do a thing for our needs.
I understand where you are coming from. I don't trust a lot of the additives that are sold for cars/motorcycles. However, the Sta-Bil that you use in your lawn mower is not the same as the Sta-Bil Marine Fuel Stabilizer. The Sta-Bil Marine Fuel Stabilizer (and the "Star brite Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment Gas Additive" that I use) has an enzyme that is supposed to keep the ethanol and gasoline in suspension. I've been using the "Star brite Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment Gas Additive" for a month and so far I haven't had any more tank problems.

If I start having problems again I'll let you know.

Ducati Paul Smart LE
BMW R1200GS
Triumph Bonneville

Last edited by geospencer; Apr 9th, 2010 at 7:33 pm.
post #38 of 53 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2010, 8:33 pm

Well, I ran two tanks full treated with 3/4 oz of marine Sta-Bil on Saturday during a group ride in the N. GA mountains, and although my tank was not loose by most standards, I swear that it is tighter. It had been shimmed by the previous owner, but still had a tiny wiggle, lets say a quarter of inch each way. Now it is firmly tight on the mounts. No wiggle at all. Hmmm.

2007 GT1000
post #39 of 53 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2010, 6:41 am Thread Starter

Another thing I've noticed.

I seem to have a LOT of vapor in my tank. When I pop the cap to fill up, it usually gives a healthy "whoosh" when I open it. Seems excessive. I expect a little... but not this much. I also notice that the vapor seems to "leak out" when I'm cleaning around the filler cap, and move it slightly to once side or the other.

I've checked the vent hose, and it doesn't seem obstructed in any way. I also don't see anything out of the ordinary under the cap (dirt, grime, clogged hole, etc.). Not sure if this could have anything to do with the spreading issue (expanding gas when heated), but again, I'm just making an observation, and still refusing to jump on the ethanol band-wagon.

=====
Have camera... will ride.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Blak-...ref=ts&fref=ts
2009 Ducati Sport 1000
2003 BMW F650GS Dakar
post #40 of 53 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2010, 10:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltTheHorizon View Post
Another thing I've noticed.

I seem to have a LOT of vapor in my tank. When I pop the cap to fill up, it usually gives a healthy "whoosh" when I open it. Seems excessive. I expect a little... but not this much. I also notice that the vapor seems to "leak out" when I'm cleaning around the filler cap, and move it slightly to once side or the other.

I've checked the vent hose, and it doesn't seem obstructed in any way. I also don't see anything out of the ordinary under the cap (dirt, grime, clogged hole, etc.). Not sure if this could have anything to do with the spreading issue (expanding gas when heated), but again, I'm just making an observation, and still refusing to jump on the ethanol band-wagon.
I too often have a lot of "vapor" in my "tank" which gives off a healthy "whoosh" when I er, open it.

My GT on the other hand, doesn't really do this much, even in hot weather. If yours wooshes in cool as well as warm weather and everything checks out ventilation-wise, the only thing I can think of as a cause would be frequent riding on bumpy pavement. Certainly seems plausible there's a connection between the vapor build up and the expansion. Witness what a three burrito lunch can do to the human "tank", and we all know when a southern belle says she has "the vapors", she's really just complaining of gas

'07 GT1000 - rosso - sold 2013
-CRG bar end mirrors
-Fat Duc O2 Manipulator
-National Cycle F-16 Sportshield
-14T front sprocket
-2nd tank (not the "bling" I'm most proud of)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode