Sonofab----!!!! - Page 3 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 53 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2010, 7:16 pm Thread Starter

FWIW, I'm at about 7,000 miles, and ran several tanks of E10 through the tank. Nothing but. No issues.

The reason, I feel, why I've suddenly seen "spread", is that my tank was near empty, it was parked in the sun, and I rode about 40 miles home on a 93 day.

I don't see how adding a 10% mixture of alcohol to gasoline, would affect the plastic any more than regular gasoline.

But, that's just my opinion. I'm not a chemist.

=====
Have camera... will ride.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Blak-...ref=ts&fref=ts
2009 Ducati Sport 1000
2003 BMW F650GS Dakar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 53 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2010, 7:36 pm

In the shop I am starting to see a lot of cars and trucks with rotted fuel lines, rubber parts, etc. from the ethanol in todays gas.

Its horrible shit, and I wish it was banned.
post #23 of 53 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2010, 11:06 pm

You would think that Ducati would fix this issue so that it didn't keep happening.....WTF?!

post #24 of 53 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2010, 3:29 am

my 09 has some spreading but I can tell it is... the top tree hits the tank.... not to bad and I'm waiting to here back from the dealer.....I joined "the club" about 6 months ago.

09 Ducati GT 1000
95 Ducati SS 900 CR
87 Yamaha SRX 250
81 Yamaha SR 500
80 Honda XL500s
71 Honda CB 750
75 Kawasaki 900

post #25 of 53 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2010, 7:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltTheHorizon View Post
I don't see how adding a 10% mixture of alcohol to gasoline, would affect the plastic any more than regular gasoline.
Ethanol (or alcohol) and gasoline are both solvents but ethanol is a much stronger solvent than gasoline. The automobile, motorcycle, aviation and marine industries have for years designed plastic/fiberglass tanks that will hold gasoline. Designing tanks that will hold ethanol is an entirely different matter and they just aren't there yet.

Ducati Paul Smart LE
BMW R1200GS
Triumph Bonneville
post #26 of 53 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2010, 7:48 am

Quote:
Ethanol dissolves plastic, and has been known to cause issues with fuel pumps, fuel lines, as well as plastic fuel tanks. Since the U.S. began mandating ethanol content in gasoline, there have been a great many reports of problems in vehicles related to the presence of ethanol.

2011 Monster 796
2007 Sport 1000 SE (SOLD)
post #27 of 53 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2010, 9:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by egrafx2006 View Post
So, if you walk out to bike right now, reach under the right front side of the tank, and pull, there is no movement at all? Every GT I've seen has a loose tank, and some are very warped on top of that.
I can pull it up maybe a 1/4", and side to side there's just a tiny bit of movement that appears to be from the tank itself flexing from the pulling rather than the rubber grommets sliding in the mounts. This is how it's been since I've had the bike, which has been a bit over a year now. It doesn't appear the previous owner ever shimmed the tank.

I do notice there's a bit more of the right grommet showing than the left, but am not sure if that's always been the case or not. But with 6 months of eth-gas usage and the weather heating up, I'm checking it more frequently.

'07 GT1000 - rosso - sold 2013
-CRG bar end mirrors
-Fat Duc O2 Manipulator
-National Cycle F-16 Sportshield
-14T front sprocket
-2nd tank (not the "bling" I'm most proud of)
post #28 of 53 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2010, 10:01 am

Quote:
FWIW, I'm at about 7,000 miles, and ran several tanks of E10 through the tank. Nothing but. No issues.

The reason, I feel, why I've suddenly seen "spread", is that my tank was near empty, it was parked in the sun, and I rode about 40 miles home on a 93 day.

But, that's just my opinion. I'm not a chemist.
This just shows how difficult it is to definitely pinpoint the cause. You think yours happened suddenly from parking in the sun with a near empty tank, and to me your pics support the suddeness because it's hard to see how you could've failed to notice so much spreading if it'd been gradual.

But another member who's been one of the lucky ones and hasn't had a spreader thinks it's from letting the bike sit too much with a full tank!

The only constants seem to be that the problem is confined to North America (maybe just the US?), and that everyone who's had the problem uses ethanol gas.

'07 GT1000 - rosso - sold 2013
-CRG bar end mirrors
-Fat Duc O2 Manipulator
-National Cycle F-16 Sportshield
-14T front sprocket
-2nd tank (not the "bling" I'm most proud of)
post #29 of 53 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2010, 11:34 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesare57 View Post
This just shows how difficult it is to definitely pinpoint the cause. You think yours happened suddenly from parking in the sun with a near empty tank, and to me your pics support the suddeness because it's hard to see how you could've failed to notice so much spreading if it'd been gradual.

But another member who's been one of the lucky ones and hasn't had a spreader thinks it's from letting the bike sit too much with a full tank!

The only constants seem to be that the problem is confined to North America (maybe just the US?), and that everyone who's had the problem uses ethanol gas.
That's the thing... my bike sat for probably a month and a half with a full tank in the parking lot of my apartment over the winter. No spread at all.

Because of the spready issues people report, I've always been looking for it. I can guage it almost every day, when I back into my parking spot, as I have to turn the bars full left and full right, to park the bike. A few days ago was the first time I'd noticed it. The only things that "changed", was the fact that the temps were in the 90's, and the bike was parked in the hot sun with an empty tank.

Yesterday, the tank was still loose, but not nearly as "spread". Temps today are in the 50's, and I have a full tank. I'll take a photo when I get home, as I drove the truck today. It's raining.

=====
Have camera... will ride.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Blak-...ref=ts&fref=ts
2009 Ducati Sport 1000
2003 BMW F650GS Dakar
post #30 of 53 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2010, 11:48 am
booyakasha!

STA-BIL 22239 Marine Fuel Stabilizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by geospencer View Post

Stabil also makes a marine fuel treatment. It is different from the regular Stabil that we sometimes use when we store our cars/motorcycles for the winter. I have been told that you need that you need one of the marine treatments to deal with ethanol.
I just started using STA-BIL Marine Fuel Stabilizer in my fuel ($9 bucks at your local Pep Boys) to curb the tank spreading. It has been two days in the tank and so far, it is working. The tank has stopped spreading and is going back to its original shape, little by little. The front rubber snubs are starting to seat into the mounting cups.

I'll be riding out in the sun over the weekend and I'll report back on how the SoCal sun and heat affects the tank and fuel stabilizer. Hopefully positive results.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode