Sonofab----!!!! - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2010, 9:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkiraClownGang View Post
Please excuse my noobness but I just purchased a 2006 Sport 1000, what should I be looking out for with my tank???
Take a look at the very first "sticky" thread at the top of the board entitled: Tank Problems - Yes or No
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2010, 9:57 pm
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus mike View Post
i just got an 09, should I expect this to happen to mine?
Yes.

Ventura County Ducati Owners Club (VCDOC)
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2010, 7:39 am

I am on my second tank. Since the day it was installed I have been adding Starbrite Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment to my gasoline. Starbrite Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment is recommended by some folks in the boating industry to keep ethanol from ruining fiberglass/plastic fuel tanks. Starbrite Enzyme Fuel Treatment is supposed to keep the ethanol in solution with gasoline. So far it is working.

The dealership that services my Ducati has started carrying Starbrite Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment. Someone other than me told them to stock it. (The Ducati rep? I don't know.)

Stabil also makes a marine fuel treatment. It is different from the regular Stabil that we sometimes use when we store our cars/motorcycles for the winter. I have been told that you need that you need one of the marine treatments to deal with ethanol.

Ducati Paul Smart LE
BMW R1200GS
Triumph Bonneville

post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2010, 9:14 am

4-5 tanks fulls of E10 is all it took for mine, bike was stored dry for 3 years and tank was perfect, I buy, fill and ride and tank is toast...
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2010, 1:20 pm

So is this just going to be an ongoing issue for as long as we own our bikes? Every few thousand miles or years we are going to have to replace the damn tank?! This is BS!

I've been eyeing down my tank like crazy now and all is well...so far....

Last edited by AkiraClownGang; Apr 8th, 2010 at 2:49 pm.
post #16 of 53 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2010, 2:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus mike View Post
i just got an 09, should I expect this to happen to mine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by egrafx2006 View Post
Yes.
I'd say more like "probably". There's a sizeable minority of us who've never had the problem for whatever reason. My '07 GT has 9600 miles on it and the tank's fine for now (knocking on my head 'cause my desk is plastic).

'07 GT1000 - rosso - sold 2013
-CRG bar end mirrors
-Fat Duc O2 Manipulator
-National Cycle F-16 Sportshield
-14T front sprocket
-2nd tank (not the "bling" I'm most proud of)
post #17 of 53 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2010, 4:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesare57 View Post
I'd say more like "probably". There's a sizeable minority of us who've never had the problem for whatever reason. My '07 GT has 9600 miles on it and the tank's fine for now.
I bought my guitar in 2006 and I was in that "fine for now" group until last November. I don't think it takes more than one or two tanks of 10% ethanol fuel to screw up a tank.

I sincerely hope that your luck holds out. A warped tank is no fun. After the first warped tank you just wait on the next one. It takes a lot of fun out of riding.

Ducati Paul Smart LE
BMW R1200GS
Triumph Bonneville
post #18 of 53 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2010, 4:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by geospencer View Post
I bought my guitar in 2006 and I was in that "fine for now" group until last November. I don't think it takes more than one or two tanks of 10% ethanol fuel to screw up a tank.

I sincerely hope that your luck holds out. A warped tank is no fun. After the first warped tank you just wait on the next one. It takes a lot of fun out of riding.
geo - do you really gas up your guitar, or like me, sometimes bounce back between the guitar and SC forum and get confused? Re the ethanol, it's been about 6 months and 2K+ miles since it was mandated in my area, and so far so good. We'll see what the summer's heat adds to the equation though.

'07 GT1000 - rosso - sold 2013
-CRG bar end mirrors
-Fat Duc O2 Manipulator
-National Cycle F-16 Sportshield
-14T front sprocket
-2nd tank (not the "bling" I'm most proud of)
post #19 of 53 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2010, 5:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by geospencer View Post
It does look like someone was writing about one thing while thinking about another.
post #20 of 53 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2010, 6:40 pm
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesare57 View Post
I'd say more like "probably". There's a sizeable minority of us who've never had the problem for whatever reason. My '07 GT has 9600 miles on it and the tank's fine for now (knocking on my head 'cause my desk is plastic).
So, if you walk out to bike right now, reach under the right front side of the tank, and pull, there is no movement at all? Every GT I've seen has a loose tank, and some are very warped on top of that.

Ventura County Ducati Owners Club (VCDOC)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode