Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

The House of the Mouse

3K views 32 replies 21 participants last post by  dirkwrong 
#1 ·
No, it's not in Florida, but in my GT's airbox!

Sommessa Donna has been so completely reliable that she hadn't seen the inside of a shop since I had the fuel hose connection fixed just after I got her. She's been running great but still, it was 'tune up time."

But when BCM emailed me the invoice to be paid prior to her delivery/return later today one item was unexpected:

"Mouse nest in airbox. Needed to replace air filter."

Gee, I sure hope the mousies enjoyed the ride as much as I do!

Anyone have a suggestion for preventing this from occurring again? The bike is stored in a shed.

-don

#12 ·
I have a mouse/bike story, last year around this time, cold, went to start my Harley and it backfired hard while starting. When backing it up I almost stepped on something and I look down and there is a freshly dead mouse, must have climbed into exhaust to warm up night before and got shot out into garage door and bounced back up to the footrest!

#15 · (Edited)
Some places in the US, you can legally have them as pets. Although they are very strong and can be quite aggressive. I saw my guy jump 14 feet from a crouch like it was nothing. At 28 lbs. he was kind of small. These guys can get > 60 lbs.

Here's a vid from YouTube of a 10 month old 16 lb bobcat. Pretty aggressive, but this is just playing for them.

OK, I'll stop now. :)

#16 ·
I was carrying replacement bulbs for the stock blinkers under my seat, back when I had the original lights on... and there was something in the bulb packaging that attracted ants... not kidding. One day I got to my bike and there were a million ants on it. they were concentrating on the bulbs under the seat... I had to hose the thing down for hours trying to get them of... they got on it from the tires and the kickstand... it was wild.

#17 ·
Big kitties for the win :D

On a serious note, it's probably an isolated family you've got there... try laying a few traps around. They need to come out to feed once in a while ;)

#18 ·
The bike was delivered late yesterday afternoon. I haven't had a chance to ride it yet but on startup it sounded fantastic. What's the difference? The air intake on the GT now sounds like the open airbox with a K&N in my `93 900SS.

I contacted BCM and inquired whether they changed anything in the airbox. "No" they replied. "It must simply be that the mouse nest was muffling the sound."

Well if so - and frankly I find this explanation a bit hard to accept - than that mouse nest had been there since delivery in 2006. "Was it an Italian mouse" I inquired?

No response yet from BCM. :p

The reason I find the mouse nest 'muffling' explanation difficult to accept is that I've heard other GT1000s and they sounded no different than mine.

Anyone have any thoughts? I can't simply lift the tank and look into the airbox as on my SS. I love the sound but am a bit concerned.

-don

#20 ·
The bike was delivered late yesterday afternoon. I haven't had a chance to ride it yet but on startup it sounded fantastic. What's the difference? The air intake on the GT now sounds like the open airbox with a K&N in my `93 900SS.
Don, I know that there have been quite a few here that have upgraded to a K&N or BMC filter and I've heard a few comment on how much better it sounds. I picked up a BMC filter but have yet to install it as there is still some life in my stocker and I can't stand to ditch something that isn't broke. You might want to check to see if it is an upgraded air filter, I think that would make the difference.

#19 ·
Airbox lid not on fully.

Not sure how Duc airbox lid is. But the Beemers would sound open-n-loud if the lid was not seated perfect. Might be slightly "off" letting air in, noise out.

#23 ·
don try this.we got a log cabin upstate that the mice love as much as we do,but they dont clean up after them selfs.solution is the never ending mouse trap,I took a 5 gal bucket drilled 2 holes across the top then drilled holes thru a coffe can then ran a rod thru the can and thru the holes in the bucket creating a spinning can then put peanut butter on the edges of the can,the mice crawl along the rod to get on the can and when they go to the bait the can spins droping them into the bucket which is half full of water and bleach {for smell purposes} ,you can leave the bucket next to wall or bench so they can get to it easy or leave a little stick along side the pail.works great,I get about a dozen mice every week in that contrapcion.

#30 ·
I remember back in the 70's, I kick started my Honda dirt bike and a mouse shot out of the muffler into the tool box, dead and twitching and a little smoky. I then heard this girl screaming which turned out to be my older brother....

I could not stop laughing that day.... :D

#32 ·
Contribution to the “Mouse Thread” – My parents had driven up to visit me while I was at University in Canada. Mom had gone to the basement for the thermos and filled it with coffee for the trip. On the way they each had a cup but Mom thought it didn’t taste right. Dad drank it anyway. At their motel I emptied the thermos into the toilet.. out came the last of the coffee…and the dead mouse that had been in there too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.