Tank Spreading, Possible Solution. - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2009, 5:09 pm Thread Starter

Tank Spreading, Possible Solution.

Although my 2009 GT1000 tank is not yet spread too much to the point that I have to make a warranty claim, I have read about many having the issues and have come to the conclusion that this is going to happen to me too. It's just a matter of when??? I'm more than disturbed that there are so many with the issue.

I contacted my dealership where I bought my bike and this is what he said.

"Ducati is preparing a "kit" to deal with the spreading issues. I'm not sure if the kit comes with new tank or not but they are working on something. It should take a few more weeks before it happens. Call me back in a few weeks and I should be able to tell you more about it"

I hope he is not being deceitful because this might be good for all. I am just relaying this message and do not want to fill anyone's heart with empty promises so if this does not turn out truthful, I sincerely apologize.

I will follow up with him and report back as soon as I hear something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2009, 5:35 pm

Looking forward to your report.

In the mean time, you might store the bike with the tank nearly empty instead of full. Less weight, less distortion. That's my half-baked theory, anyway, arrived at as I'm always too lazy to gas up after a ride and my riding group always meets at a gas station anyway. The tank on the GT has zero wiggle.

2007 Red Ducati GT1000
2003 Lucifer Orange Triumph Bonneville T-100

Photo: The GT at Utah's Bonneville Salt Flats
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2009, 6:37 pm
unM0derator

We've been getting the same run-around for almost a year now (solution will be available, any day now), and nothing has materialized.

I'll be glad when it does, but I'm not holding my breath.

Current pastimes: 2004 ST4s / 2010 SF 1098 S

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2009, 7:01 pm

If the kit is just a set of shims to make a spread tank fit, that's bad news because it doesn't fix the root cause and leaves you with a wrinkled, bubbling tank that fits until it spreads some more.

If Ducati starts giving out a bogus kit instead of new tanks, that's even worse.

(Just getting my second new tank)

2006 Sport Classic 1000 monoposto
Shark 2-1, DP ecu, air box, and BMC filter
PCIII with FBF map
Ohlins shock and S4 Showa forks, Storz damper.
Carrozzeria wheels.

2008 HD Sportster 1200
stage 1
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2009, 8:32 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonknight View Post
If the kit is just a set of shims to make a spread tank fit, that's bad news because it doesn't fix the root cause and leaves you with a wrinkled, bubbling tank that fits until it spreads some more.

If Ducati starts giving out a bogus kit instead of new tanks, that's even worse.

I agree, but I would hope a reputable name like Ducati would come up with something a little more permanent than what I've seen on ebay for shims.....not that I don't think that whomever came up with the idea was wrong for doing it, very clever, it will take care of the safety factor not allowing the tank to take you out in an unfortunate accident.......but it absolutely does not take care of the cosmetic part. Not to mention satisfaction of owning one.

I bought my bike from a dealer about 3.5 hours from here. Never been there (bought off the phone and delivery to my front door was part of the sale) so I don't see many Ducati's. There are only only 3 people that I know of who own a ducati in this city....08 monster, 09 monster, and me 09 GT1000. And we are buddies. I hope someone on the forum can get a look at a 2010 GT1000 soon and verify if something is different than 09 and before. I hope so. That'll please many people that there is a fix I bet.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2009, 8:45 pm

Sorry to dash your hopes. On my 2nd tank, spreading again. No fix to a tank as currently formulated and subject to spread is going to magically fix speading. The fix is a new tank with a different chemical make up that does not have that reaction in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo77ca View Post
I agree, but I would hope a reputable name like Ducati would come up with something a little more permanent than what I've seen on ebay for shims.....not that I don't think that whomever came up with the idea was wrong for doing it, very clever, it will take care of the safety factor not allowing the tank to take you out in an unfortunate accident.......but it absolutely does not take care of the cosmetic part. Not to mention satisfaction of owning one.

I bought my bike from a dealer about 3.5 hours from here. Never been there (bought off the phone and delivery to my front door was part of the sale) so I don't see many Ducati's. There are only only 3 people that I know of who own a ducati in this city....08 monster, 09 monster, and me 09 GT1000. And we are buddies. I hope someone on the forum can get a look at a 2010 GT1000 soon and verify if something is different than 09 and before. I hope so. That'll please many people that there is a fix I bet.

2006 999r Xerox. 57 mm full termi.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2009, 9:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMCTRUBY View Post
The fix is a new tank with a different chemical make up that does not have that reaction in the first place.
Exactly!

2006 Sport Classic 1000 monoposto
Shark 2-1, DP ecu, air box, and BMC filter
PCIII with FBF map
Ohlins shock and S4 Showa forks, Storz damper.
Carrozzeria wheels.

2008 HD Sportster 1200
stage 1
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2009, 11:33 pm
Lifetime Premium

My guess is Ducati will eventually discontinue the SC line all together in the next year or two and figures they can supply us aging SC owners with defective replacement tanks until we all die off and then the problem will just go away. That will be cheaper than engineerinf a new compound that doesn't warp from ethanol. It's just a business decision, nothing personal.

Ventura County Ducati Owners Club (VCDOC)
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 2009, 7:49 am

In Canada, at least for now, Shell V-Power contains no ethanol. I have only been using Shell V-Power and haven't noticed any deformation or spreading (so far).

2011 Monster 796
2007 Sport 1000 SE (SOLD)
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 2009, 10:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonknight View Post

My guess is the "kit" looks something like this -
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screws.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	58218  

'07 GT1000 - rosso - sold 2013
-CRG bar end mirrors
-Fat Duc O2 Manipulator
-National Cycle F-16 Sportshield
-14T front sprocket
-2nd tank (not the "bling" I'm most proud of)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode