Is my tank spreading? And should I still go ahead with new paint if so? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2009, 5:40 pm Thread Starter
Tag

Is my tank spreading? And should I still go ahead with new paint if so?

Hey all, I've been waiting for a couple weeks now for the Ducati decals to arrive at my dealers so I can get the tank/cowl repainted after my lowside a few weeks back. However today I was looking under the tank and noticed the rubber mounts are not quite snug in the metal holders. They rubber mounts probably sit about 40% on the holder, 60% off on both sides. Is this the usual position or is it a sign of the spreading to come?

Obviously I'm reluctant to drop the $$$ on a new paint job if the tank is just going to need replaced soon. From what I've read it seems that Ducati North America is being decent about replacing the spreading tanks, but I feel it might seem too opportunistic to bring in my scratched up tank looking to get it replaced...or would they just try to shim it first, and how long is that solution good for?

Not trying to cheat the system or anything, just figuring out the best way to go about this. Any input appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2009, 6:06 pm

Tag - you might just want to go with option B, i.e. shim the mounts so that the tank fits. I had this done under warranty at my local dealership, rather than get a replacement tank for a couple of reasons - (1) there are no guarantees that the replacement tank won't just do the same thing and (2) I have heard of other tanks developing flaws in the paint. Given that my paintwork is perfect, shimming seemed the way to go. I constantly check my tank for further spreading and it has been nice and tight.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2009, 6:11 pm

I'm also in the "shim it!" boat. Inspect the tank for any other abnormalities, and if it seems OK other than the spreading and scratches, then go for it. Don't break the bank on a high zoot paint job just in case it gives you trouble down the road. There's also a good chance you bent the brackets in a little in the crash, they're pretty flimsy, and some here have simply bent them out instead of adding spaces to make the tank more snug.

I've shimmed my tank twice now in 3 years. It's snug. But does have other warpage. I don't really mind because with the miles I put on it my knees will have worn through the paint in time anyway....lol

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2009, 6:55 pm Thread Starter
Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1W1 View Post
Tag - you might just want to go with option B, i.e. shim the mounts so that the tank fits. I had this done under warranty at my local dealership, rather than get a replacement tank for a couple of reasons - (1) there are no guarantees that the replacement tank won't just do the same thing and (2) I have heard of other tanks developing flaws in the paint. Given that my paintwork is perfect, shimming seemed the way to go. I constantly check my tank for further spreading and it has been nice and tight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dietrichpfeifer View Post
I'm also in the "shim it!" boat. Inspect the tank for any other abnormalities, and if it seems OK other than the spreading and scratches, then go for it. Don't break the bank on a high zoot paint job just in case it gives you trouble down the road. There's also a good chance you bent the brackets in a little in the crash, they're pretty flimsy, and some here have simply bent them out instead of adding spaces to make the tank more snug.

I've shimmed my tank twice now in 3 years. It's snug. But does have other warpage. I don't really mind because with the miles I put on it my knees will have worn through the paint in time anyway....lol
Cool, thanks for the feedback guys. Yeah I noticed one of the brackets was bent in slightly (no doubt from the spill) so I bent it out and still had the 40/60 ratio. If you guys have been running shims for years I think I'll go ahead with painting, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to get it painted and the whole thing balloons out to twice it's size in a month or something...

And I will specify a "low-zoot" paint job for sure. (Man am I'm looking forward to putting enough miles to wear through the paint!!!)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2009, 8:10 pm

If I were you.... I would just cross your fingers. I'm about to be on my 3rd tank in the 6 months since I've driven it off the showroom floor. Here is a link to my initial tank spread problem : '09 Tank Spreading! @#$!@

I'm @ 1,025 miles and the new tank is already about an inch off the brackets.. I'm waiting to see what Ducati NA's response is. I am not going to replace this tank every 500 miles..
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2009, 8:51 pm

I hear that Ducati is coming out with a line of designer shims with little logos on them.

2015 Ducati Monster 821
2008 Kawasaki ZX14
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2009, 10:01 pm

I 100% disagree with the shimming idea. The tanks are shimmed (or supposed to be) at the factory when the tank is first fitted. If it's noticable, it will get bigger. Take it back to the dealer and get a replacement. I will give you 2 good reasons why.

1. It will eventually spread far enough to hit your bars and become removable without tools...trust me, I've seen it on my own bike.
2. It will get you on Ducati's radar and you will get a new warranty on the tank.

Check out my post from my first replacement (now on tank #3)...it details what happened with the shims, the anger, and finally the replacement. I took delivery of my precious in 12/05 and I was definitely one of the first on the forum to report this problem.

Check the original post here.

Don't take it lightly, imagine what's going to happen if you keep shimming and it eventually splits.....

Remember, the right solution usually isn't the quick one.

"OK, boys. Have fun. Keep the rubber side down!" -Grandma
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode