Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Throwing In The Towel

2K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  1duckyboy 
#1 · (Edited)
Sad but true, I am giving up on my GT1000 "Isabella" after 2.5 years! She has spent more time in the shop than with me.
She lost that loving feeling. :sleep: Maybe she never really liked me in the first place. No, we just grew apart, that's it, we just grew apart! Seems she's no longer Italian Sexy And BELLA (Beautiful) in my eyes...we've had some good times, but now it's over, time for a divorce...never thought this would happen to me. No worries, there's other fish in the sea. Looks like I will be trading her in for a younger model: Maybe a Monster 1100s! :D

Anyone else finding themselves in a similar predicament or mid-life crisis?

#2 ·
The "Other Woman" ....
Time for a change... Was it a lemon or the dealer just couldn"t get the fixes right???
Move on and learn from the experience or the ordeal...
Don't live a lie and live with something you don"t like....
Great now you get to go shopping for the perfect bike, armed with more Knowledge
Look at the positive

#4 ·
I can't let my Classic go, I just keep buying a friend for her to stay with in the garage. Just rotating them through. Got a ktm950sm sold it, got a 999S selling it, next up Hyper S!

If I had a repair shop bike though, it would be gone. That M1100S is :D

#5 ·
After such a bad experience I'm surprised you're still going after a Ducati. Same company, different dealer maybe?

#6 ·
Exactly my thoughts. Definitely consider a different dealer if staying with Ducati! Sure, some parts take longer to get if the GT had unusual problems, etc., but a creative, supportive dealer can go a long way. NO WAY owning a brand new bike for over 2 years should mean more time in their garage than yours.

#7 ·
Sorry to hear of your lousy experience wit the SC line, duckidwise.
The new Italian bikes (both Duke and Guzzi) that I bought in the 70s 80s and 90s all required a 'sorting out' period, once past that time they were relatively trouble free. I half expected the same process with the two bikes I now ride, but so far, absolutely nothing mechanical at all, and one small issue with a seat cowl resolved under warranty. Luck of the draw, I guess...
Good luck with your quest for a more satisfying ride ;)

#9 ·
Bought mine in may had 11 weeks.

Had about $1800 out of my pocket in the bike termi kit etc. But the last deal put the bike in the shop for a total of 5 weeks out of the 11 of owner ship. When they called and said it was done.......................at that point I developed a bad taste for the bike. I walked into the dealer right past the bike sat on all the bikes took a left over new 08 multi for a ride then loaded it up in the back of the truck. I just traded GT at the dealer. So for so good with the multi. No way a guy should not be able to ride the summer months with out a bike. I had got bike from dealer on a friday, left ST.Louis for pikes peak 3/4 way down the peak the trans went out......................F99K this I told my self. The next owner will probably ride it for ever and say its the best bike he has ever owned.

#10 · (Edited)
Actually guys, my dealer was superb in handling everything - Service has been great! Ducati North America stood behind their product as well. They went above my expectations & also sent me a new tank even after the 2 year warranty recently expired. Because of the way I have been treated I am willing to buy another Duc! Everything has been fixed, but I still worry about what's gonna go next now that the warranty has expired.

#18 ·
... Because of the way I have been treated I am willing to buy another Duc! Everything has been fixed, but I still worry about what's gonna go next now that the warranty has expired.
My Paul Smart is warrantied until May 2016. It gives me great peace of mind knowing that I'm covered for a long time and I can rack up as many miles as I want. The extended warranty cost somewhere between $1400 and $2000. I don't remember off the top of my head because I purchased a three-year service contract about the same time so that I don't have any more out of pocket expenses for routine maintenance either. One of the policies was $1400 and the other was $19xx. Sweet peace of mind for someone that rides as many miles as me.

#13 ·
If a stock bike can't run with a stock ECU, something is wrong. Changing to DP stuff may fix the symptoms but something may still be wrong with the bike. IMO.

#14 ·
On a happier note: I will be test riding a couple Monsters next weekend (the 696 & 11

!

The 696 is a rip-snorter bike for short distances and excellent value for money.

I kept my GT and traded the 696 on another brand because the GT owes me too much after all the mods!
I sure miss that 696...it was a sweet little bike.

The 1100 has more grunt to be sure...and the S has better suspension....value for money the 696 wins hands down.

Have fun choosing......it's great fun buying new toys. :D

#15 ·
Man you sure got a laid back attitude ,
From what I've read , just take the hit , and buy the DPECU right from the get go,
No mechanical base for my assumption, just seems to fix so many troubles.
Sitting in the shop in Alberta for any length of time during riding season just ain't right
Do you ride during one of the Chinooks ? Thats when my family out there calls me ond says its 70 degrees here in the mid of winter.I tell them to call back in 2 days and give me another weather report .
Good luck with the new ride..

#16 ·
sounds like you got a bum bike. sorry to hear.

my sport has been in the shop quite often in the past year... especially since I low-sided last october.... but it seems I have been through all the major issues of the model: fuel line recall, tank-spreading, bad clutch assembly (had to be replaced at 6K miles), worn lay-shaft seal (oil leaking all over...), and last but not least: soft valve guides... the bike is currently at the shop to get the guides replaced... will probably be there for 3 weeks...

but in two years I still managed to put 17K miles on it, and I would still NEVER consider selling it. I love it too much, I've invested too much (about $25K total), and aside from the exact same bike, there isn't one out there that could replace it. A second bike? sure. But I love my sport.

LA-Duc has had his shares of problems too, and he even went to go look at a new CBR1000 one day when the dealer was yanking his chain... but the bottom line is that this is THE bike.

Sorry you don't feel that way about yours, and I get it. you should get a sport biposto... they still have a few for sale this year...

good luck!

#19 ·
I too have an extended warranty for an extra five years. Looking at my bike now the forks, brakes, wheels, intake box, open clutch, turn indicators, rearsets and other bits are not stock. Guess the engine/tranny are still warranteed if the airbox mod isn't a sticking point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.