Getting pulled up by the cops - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Sport Classic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 2:17 am   #1 (permalink)

Getting pulled up by the cops

Yesterday while riding with a mate, we were followed by a cop, and my mate got pulled over.
I kept on going as I didn't want my bike inspected for numerous reasons.
The officer also commented on what sort of mate I was for not hanging around.

My mate is OK with that, but he keeps ribbing me for pissing off.

What is the proper etiquete here? If it was me being pulled over, I would not expect anyone to stop with me.

John
IN2VWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 8th, 2009, 3:03 am   #2 (permalink)

You did the right thing, IMHO. A few years ago, on the way back to Queensland from Bathurst, I got pulled over by a very gung ho New South Wales police officer. My brother was riding with me, and just kept going. I got a large fine for allegedly crossing an unbroken white line when overtaking a slow moving cattle truck, no use us both contributing to the state's coffers. No hard feelings from me over this one.
We both were riding Guzzi LeMans at the time, but the cop didn't seem interested in inspecting the bike closely.

Last edited by Pjay; Jun 8th, 2009 at 4:50 pm. Reason: brain fade...
Pjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 3:15 am   #3 (permalink)

I'd keep going myself and wait up the road a piece in a nice shady spot. would not want to be too close just incase they decided to include me in the "fun".
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 4:38 am   #4 (permalink)

I reckon you keep going....your mate took one for the pack

Perhaps our overseas brothers need to appreciate the HUGE differences within our country. The attitude of some police is just over the top.......others can be friendly and polite and still do the same job. This varies from state to state....IN2VWS is in Victoria...they have the reputation of being "tough"...zero tolerance......2 kays over and your speeding and will be booked.

I am in Queensland....and perhaps very lucky I have been "let off" 4 times in the last 2 years....the most recent on the 696 doing 146 in 100 zone.

The 3 previous times have all been for more than 15 kph over the limit.

Mind you I have been booked for noisy pipes....1 demerit point and $75....phark why bother.

My view is : If a brother is pulled over....you keep going....if your both in jail your no use to each other.

I left our pack at the coffee stop last weekend....and I know the girls were still farting around ....and I was on my girls 696 she my GT...I just love that bike in the twisties. I was warned about a radar....and previously I had been going quite quickly and passed a few slower riders....this radar was set up in a place....down hill....80kph zone...well hidden. I had enough time to do a U turn and warn my mates. I reckon that's what mates do.

IN2VWS.....I reckon you're mate needs a "POOR ME" card.

You did the right thing........if you were both speeding and he got pinged....and if he is low on funds....I would feel obliged to help him with the fine. If the fine is no big deal for him financially....then it's swings and roundabouts...you might take the fall for him one day.

Cheers...see you at PI in October ?

Roger
roggt1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 4:59 am   #5 (permalink)

My mate got done for riding an unregistered bike, which he will be contesting the $560 fine.
He has a custom plate on his bike. He went to Vicroads a few years ago to get it assigned to his bike, and paid the fees to do so. But somewhere in Vicroads PC, it never happened and according to the law, his bike is unregistered. He just has to find his paper work from Vicroads to prove it wasn't his fault, and he should be OK.

The copper did go easy on him though. His tyres are bald, no rego label fitted to the bike and he didn't have his license with him.

Yep, I'll be at the Island. Looking forward to it. CYA there.
IN2VWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 5:12 am   #6 (permalink)

Cool....and nice to know that there are decent cops in VIC....

See ya tackside !
roggt1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 5:37 am   #7 (permalink)

It's a hard one but it all depends on what has been done to your own machine and how much heat you want to draw yourself. Like you with my mods i think I probably would have done the same and waited somewhere nearby for him to catch up.

Lets hope plod is as friendly come the trek East in October
2009 Holden SS

Gone but not forgotten;

1994 SS900
1982 Darmah 900
1980 MHR900
1979 SS900 (Black/Gold)
1982 Pantah SL600 (Hailwood)
jcsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 5:56 am   #8 (permalink)
Bly
Helmet Haired Hoon

Yeh I'd wait up the road a bit too.
No need to have my pipes, plate and rego sticker looked at really.

A mate on a BMW Rockster got booked last week in NSW. 154 in a 100k zone.
The filth took his licence on the spot, and he walks for 6 months.
Then when the computer works out the points he goes over the 12 points so loses it for another 3 months.
He's remarkably philosophical about it all. You know, all the times he broke the road rules and never got caught.
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 5:57 am   #9 (permalink)

my brother and I were fanging along the Old Pacific highway a few years ago. A cop coming the other way flicked his lights as we flew past and pulled a u turn. We slowed to the speed limit but spread out a bit - I was hanging back far enough to see my brother - that way the cop wasn't gonna pull I both over. When the cop came behind me I pulled over but he kept chasing my brother. As soon as they both went around the next corner, I headed back the other way.
My brother copped the speeding ticket. The cop went for the lead bike because that's what the radar gun measured when he saw us. My brother was cool about it, in fact he was happy I got away.
The cop will always ticket the front bike UNLESS your'e riding too close together or are stupid enough to admit you were riding together.
In my example I had to do a runner because we were brothers and if pulled up together it would be pretty clear we were riding together. So we shared the cost of the ticket and my brother copped all of the demerits.

This "strategy" goes back to something that happened to us back in 1985 on the coast road in California. Rode into a radar trap and only the lead bike got the ticket - in this case the same brother! Poor bastard, and he's not a quicker rider than me just feels the need to be in front.

So you did the right thing but not stopping. Why invite trouble? Mates, and brothers, understand.
DADDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 9:31 am   #10 (permalink)

It has not happened to me...yet (knock on wood). But we agree on one thing...the one that does not get pulled over is to ride away and wait up about a mile up the road.... or the nearest store/gas station.

2006 Monoposto, Yellow...

When asking a Ducati owner if he had any problems with his bike, his response was:
"The only problem I've had is attractive women divesting themselves of their clothing and rubbing their naughty bits on my leg while they lick the gas tank. Makes it hard to pull away from a red light,...... sometimes."

CU3RVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement