handling improvement question - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2017, 4:57 pm Thread Starter

handling improvement question

Hi All,

My 07 Sport Classic can get a lil squirrelly on the road from time to time. Was wondering if a steering dampener or a change of wheels/tires would help more. Any and all input would be appreciated. Thanks.

jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2017, 7:01 pm

A steering damper is just a bandaid to cover the problem.
You need to start with basics and find your problem. Set the sag, adjust the dampers.
Wouldn't hurt to change the oil in your forks and shock.
Spezjag and shil like this.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2017, 7:08 pm

Lots of tips on this if you do a search. Pirrelli phantoms that came on a lot of these, felt squirrelly. Lighter, tubeless rims and tires do make a big difference. Stock suspension was not great either.
sunstar557 likes this.

'77 RD-400
'03 FLSTF
'06 Sport 1000 Yellow
'04 XL1200R
'07 999s

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2017, 3:04 pm
DGJ

Lighter wheels, better suspension, better tires, steering damper. that's the basic.

the stock wheels are extremely heavy, so if you replace them with lighter wheels like forged marchesinis etc... you will save about 20lbs in wheel weight alone.

stiffer front and rear suspension will also help tremendously. they make tube inserts if you don't want to swap out forks, but you can probably find adjustable SHOA forks from a Monster etc... they are direct bolt on.

Ohlins on the rear is also very helpful.

it's not cheap, but then your bike will handle like a proper sports bike.
sunstar557 likes this.

'07 Sport Classic Sport1000 Biposto, Black
'05 999s, Black
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2017, 8:42 am

Of all the "stuff" I've done to my '06 S1K nothing came close to the quantum leap in handling improvement that I experienced when I swapping out the stock spoke wheels for alloy's. It felt like an entirely new bike and I wasn't even terribly unhappy with the stock set up since I had never ridden a bike newer than my 1974 Norton Commando. Going from that dinosaur (in it's defense, it's a pretty good handling dinosaur) to the S1K was a revelation in braking, engine performance and handling. I changed the wheels only because I wanted the ability to plug a flat on the back roads in North Carolina where I was heading and where help (no cell service) might not be available. I was shocked at the vast improvement in the bikes handling which I already thought was pretty good. I have since installed Andreani cartridges and although they did make an improvement, it wasn't nearly as dramatic as the wheel swap. I can't imagine how awesome it would make a heavy steel wheeled GT feel to go to Carbon wheels that weigh nothing. Bottom line is there is no single mod you can do that will make your bikes handling feel dramatically better than going to lighter wheels. In my experience, that should be your first priority.

Enjoy your new ride.
Spezjag, DGJ, erikesp and 1 others like this.

1946 Globe Swift GC-1B w/ Lycoming IO-360
1970 BSA B44 Victor Special
1973 Ducati Bevel Drive 750 Cafe Racer Special
1974 Norton Commando 850
2006 Sport 1000 Monoposto
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2017, 9:26 am

Something isn't right. Figure out what it is before you blow a bunch of money on farkles. Loose spokes ? Tires ? Steering head brgs loose ? Swingarm brgs ? Wheel brgs ?
SP3 likes this.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2017, 3:53 pm
DGJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraDuc View Post
Of all the "stuff" I've done to my '06 S1K nothing came close to the quantum leap in handling improvement that I experienced when I swapping out the stock spoke wheels for alloy's. It felt like an entirely new bike and I wasn't even terribly unhappy with the stock set up since I had never ridden a bike newer than my 1974 Norton Commando. Going from that dinosaur (in it's defense, it's a pretty good handling dinosaur) to the S1K was a revelation in braking, engine performance and handling. I changed the wheels only because I wanted the ability to plug a flat on the back roads in North Carolina where I was heading and where help (no cell service) might not be available. I was shocked at the vast improvement in the bikes handling which I already thought was pretty good. I have since installed Andreani cartridges and although they did make an improvement, it wasn't nearly as dramatic as the wheel swap. I can't imagine how awesome it would make a heavy steel wheeled GT feel to go to Carbon wheels that weigh nothing. Bottom line is there is no single mod you can do that will make your bikes handling feel dramatically better than going to lighter wheels. In my experience, that should be your first priority.

Enjoy your new ride.
Something to be said also if you go "too" light on the wheels with no other improvements elsewhere. Guarantee if you put carbon BST wheels but leave the stock forks/shocks and don't put a damper that the front end will feel too light and you don't want that.

'07 Sport Classic Sport1000 Biposto, Black
'05 999s, Black
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2017, 6:23 pm
Ducati.MS sponsor

I added BST wheels to my first Sport1000 when it had stock suspension and a steering damper. The light wheels got rid of the head shake and allowed me to remove the steering damper. I eventually added Ohlins front forks and an Ohlins rear shock but the wheels made the biggest difference overall.

-M

www.motowheels.com

05 999R
01 996R
98 900SS FE
96 M944 (sold)
07 1098
06 SC1000
10 Streetfighter
10 M696
02 MV Agusta F4
02 ST4S
12 1199S
06 Paul Smart
15 Scrambler FT
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 2017, 11:21 am Thread Starter

UPDATE:

JC from JCPAKBIKES.COM gave me a call when I inquired about wheels to see if that would help the issues with the bike. He was very helpful in suggesting fixes to try before spending money. Started working on the suspension and true enough, it took care of the majority of the head wobble when riding. I'd like to thank JC for taking the time to educate me on the self suspension work. I will gladly recommend someone who helps his fellow riders. And thank you all for the added suggestions as well.

jeff
duc96cr and Session101 like this.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2017, 6:36 pm

I took my stock SC and added a steering damper, forged 999R wheels, 999R calipers, S4RS ohlins forks, a new Ohlins rear shock, sprung for my weight, set sag, rebound, compression. I tracked the bike and it handled pretty well. I then decided to sell it and in one afternoon converted it all back to stock and then rode it again and I was like W T F? it still looked cool, but the difference was huge, it was like riding a whale that couldn't stop. I didnt get it back to the track in stock form, so in the 2-3x i rode it before selling it (on the streets) the #1 thing that I really noticed to be honest was how shitty the stock brakes were in comparison.

If you are fine with getting rid of the spoked stock wheels, and stock forks, then the used 999S (cast) or 999R (forged) wheels are a cheap way to get light wheels that are almost plug and play (rear requires a simple spacer kit). it does mean moving to either M1000S forks or S4RS forks (used) and radial brakes (999R), but once again all this stuff u can find used at motorcycle wreckers.
sunstar557 likes this.

2007 Ducati 1098S (Track Only)
2006 Ducati Sport Classic 1000 (Sold)
2005 Honda CRF450R

Last edited by Agro; Apr 27th, 2017 at 6:45 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode