'09 Tank Spreading! @#$!@ - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2009, 5:50 pm Thread Starter

'09 Tank Spreading! @#$!@

Wouldnt you know... I just bought a sport 1000...brand new, shiny, and expensive.. Started looking for forums, then found u guys then I saw the stickies of the tank problems I read through it and prayed for mercy on my new bike as most of the bikes with issues seemed to be older or GT's. WELL....

Today I parked my bike out in front of work for the 2nd time with about 150 miles and only 1 tank fill up since it left the showroom. About 3 hours later I went for lunch and noticed my bike looked ugly and weird for some reason. the tank looked like it was about to take flight! My heart sank and I knew exactly what happened.

I took some pics and called the dealer who said he had had it happen to a few bikes before but his '06 never had the problem. I have forwarded the pictures to him and he will then forward them to his Service Manager.

Here are the pics

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2009, 6:08 pm
Banned

shim out the tank support brackets and you will be fine.

post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2009, 6:34 pm

Wait a minute! That's some serious spreading going on here! Mine is spread no more than 7mm, but that's a huge gap.

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2009, 6:47 pm

holy crap - i've never seen one that bad, that quickly! they usually seem to "creep" out over time. it looks like you're in a sunny/hot area and with the black paintwork maybe heated up the tank and cased it to pressurize or accelerated the ethanol issue...

that's just whacked!
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2009, 6:51 pm

I bought my '07 last fall with 8000 miles on it. It had tank spread then. It was pretty loose. They shimmed it up and it has been fine. Just not the kind of thing you'd expect from a top line manufacturer this day and age. I can't tell from your photo if you are dead center with the camera or not. If you are, then you have a massive offset and the dealer will replace it. Shimming has worked on mine. I have also heard that the frame brackets for the tank are not helping the problem. Welcome to Ducati North America, home of the ethanol enhanced fuel tank.
The guy I bought the bike from has been in motorcycles for over 50 years. This kind of problem is not unusual with plastic tanks. He says that Guzzi and Aprilia have had similar issues. Triumph had problems with the Sprint ST in the recent past and went to a metal tank to combat the problem.
I take it as just another "character" thing that some people call poor quality. Even if it is only happening in the States, it is a real issue. I do love the bike and hope to get a free tank under 5 year coverage by EPA. Ducati will do that. If not, I'll trade the thing in on a new R1 and let somebaody else worry about it in a couple of years.

2015 Ducati Monster 821
2008 Kawasaki ZX14
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2009, 6:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muschi View Post
shim out the tank support brackets and you will be fine.

Yeah, start with 2x4's as a shim and go up from there. That tank is FUBARED.

motocrotts
07 Ducati Sport SE #12 w/DP KIT (sold)
14 BMW 1200 GSW
14 KTM 300 XC
13 KTM 450 XCW
74 Ducati 450 Mark 3
1967 Triumph TR6R
1970 Triumph Daytona
1985 Yamaha RZ 350 N
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2009, 7:36 pm

Since your bike is a SC1000 I'm assuming it isn't an 09. The tanks obviously just spread sitting in the showroom.

Don't accept having the tank shimmed. Get it replaced.

2006 Sport Classic 1000 monoposto
Shark 2-1, DP ecu, air box, and BMC filter
PCIII with FBF map
Ohlins shock and S4 Showa forks, Storz damper.
Carrozzeria wheels.

2008 HD Sportster 1200
stage 1
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2009, 8:17 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonknight View Post
Since your bike is a SC1000 I'm assuming it isn't an 09. The tanks obviously just spread sitting in the showroom.

The bike is an '09 trust me... i bought it.. u arent going to the correct website to view the bikes available.. its www.ducatiusa.com not ducati.com which doesnt list the '09 because its the european or "wolrd" site. (this was what someone explained to me)

In regards to the location the bike... Yes it is in Florida but it's about 85 degrees today it was sitting in the sun less than 2 hours.... I just bought this bike 2-3 weeks ago!
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2009, 8:19 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonknight View Post

Defintely cant shim that! Look at the photo... The bracket is about 2 inches away from the rubber bushing. The tank wouldnt even come close to the bracket unless I open the gas tank which then releases a ton of pressure..

FYI, I checked the vent and gas overflow lines.. both are free and clear of debris

****these pictures are before I even moved the tank. I didnt lift this.. the pressure did! What idiot designed and made this tank?!?
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2009, 8:22 pm

I noticed my tank spreading after a winter season in my garage. 1 month on warranty left, DNA is replacing the tank. Does anyone know where to get fuel without the ethanol?

2007 Sport 1000s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode