Tank Problems - Yes or No - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

View Poll Results: Are you having problems with your tank?
Yes, I am having problems with my tank. 366 66.79%
No, I am not having problems with my tank. 182 33.21%
Voters: 548. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1129 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2008, 4:58 pm Thread Starter

Tank Problems - Yes or No

Let us know if you are having tank problems.

I voted already. I have not had any tank problems so far. For the record, my Paul Smart does not have many miles on it and it stays in a heated garage. I don't know if that makes any difference.

Ducati Paul Smart LE
BMW R1200GS
Triumph Bonneville

Last edited by geospencer; Nov 24th, 2008 at 5:05 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1129 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2008, 5:52 pm
Lifetime Premium

Can I vote twice? I have the problem with my first and second tank.

Ventura County Ducati Owners Club (VCDOC)
post #3 of 1129 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2008, 5:56 pm

Maybe we need one more choice...

...for those of us that are not having problems with our current tank, but had our original replaced (under warranty or otherwise) due to the bulging - deformation issues.

2010 Hypermotard 1100 Evo
post #4 of 1129 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2008, 6:36 pm

2006 Paul Smart
-Purchased Jan 2006
-Tank replaced in Nov 2007 due to deformation
-Replacement tank is had deformed in the same manner. Tank brackets are shimmed 3 washers on each side.
post #5 of 1129 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2008, 6:49 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinW View Post
Maybe we need one more choice for those of us that are not having problems with our current tank, but had our original replaced (under warranty or otherwise) due to the bulging - deformation issues.
I understand what you are saying but the main reason for this thread is to get a count of those who have or have not had problems.

Ducati Paul Smart LE
BMW R1200GS
Triumph Bonneville
post #6 of 1129 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2008, 7:34 pm
RpM
Mr. Excitement

I own three SportClassics. Here's my story:

-2006 Sport 1000- purchased March '06 - tank bulged, dimpled, and spread in summer '08 - out of warranty, not replaced yet.

-2006 Sport 1000- purchased November '06- tank bulged and spread in spring of '08 - replaced under warranty October '08.

- 2008 Sport 1000S - purchased November '08 - no issues yet.

Sport 1000 #1 has 14,000 miles on the clock. The other two are still relatively low mileage. I'm hoping for a long range fix as I intend to ride them all for many years to come.

RpM
post #7 of 1129 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2008, 8:01 pm

'07 GT1000 Bicolore purchassed 3/08

Noticed tank spreading on throttle side with depression and small pimple same side 8/08

Bike is garaged, only use Shell and Chevron fuel, sits in the shade at work when used to commute in the summer.

Dealer notifed 9/08, new tank on the way under warranty. No questions from dealer took a look shook his head and said he'd take care of it.

Vince

"Any motorcyclist who holds up a line of automobiles on a winding road would be required to sell all fringed accessories, buy some plaid pants and take up golf" Peter Eagan
post #8 of 1129 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2008, 8:51 pm

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthre...d=1#post519220
I think all we need to do is get a head count of each vehicle that has an existing problem OR had to get a tank replaced. Vote "yes" if you have any history with a bad tank. Vote "no" if you have not. Simple. The idea is to try and get a representation of just how serious this problem is. to NTSB and Ducati so we can get a real solution for our bikes. Also, be sure to use the other sticky to send your complaint in to NTSB. I sent this to DNA this evening to try and help get some attention to the group of us, as maybe we can get some more positive results for keeping the bikes we love safe. I can't post Ducatis response to this or previous contacts I've made. I will say they have be extremely quick in answering. Just would like to see some help.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77
Please check out the forum for all the issues happening with defective fuel tanks on Sport Classics that are not being addressed to satisfaction of your customers. While I am impressed with the quickness of your responses to me in the past, I am not the only Ducati owner who is struggling to justify ownership in this situation. In warranty or out of warranty, a manufactured defective unsafe part is being used on these motorcycles. I really love the bike and most everything about it. I am losing steering lock because of this tank expansion and I've only had the used bike for two weeks. Please monitor this situation and provide us with a long term solution.

At this point, I just want to get back to having fun with a great motorcycle. I just hope it stays safe to ride in the meantime.

2015 Ducati Monster 821
2008 Kawasaki ZX14

Last edited by brooksie; Nov 24th, 2008 at 9:17 pm.
post #9 of 1129 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2008, 10:17 pm

07 GT1000 ~5000 miles. Tank can be lifted up on the right side about an inch or so.. Have not taken to dealer yet.

- 2007 GT1000 STOP BREAKING!
- 2005 FJR1300
post #10 of 1129 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 2008, 1:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by geospencer View Post
I understand what you are saying but the main reason for this thread is to get a count of those who have or have not had problems.
OK, I'm not having a problem with my current tank, but my original bulged and dimpled and was replaced under warranty so I voted as "having problems with tank".

2010 Hypermotard 1100 Evo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode