Tank Problems - Yes or No - Page 4 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
View Poll Results: Are you having problems with your tank?
Yes, I am having problems with my tank. 366 66.79%
No, I am not having problems with my tank. 182 33.21%
Voters: 548. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 1129 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 2008, 7:25 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMRacing View Post
I have also been told that the further away from the batch mixing you are the less ethanol in your fuel.....bleed off...and that those close by may be getting more than 10%..fuel in my area smells like cheap rum sometimes.
That sounds reasonable.

I have a nephew who drives a fuel tanker. I think I remember him saying that ethanol and additives are mixed into the tank at the filling point.

As an aside, I was at the dealership yesterday getting my annual inspection. I asked the service manager if any Sport Classic thanks had been replaced in his shop. None so far . . . but he's relatively new. (Charlotte, N.C.)

Ducati Paul Smart LE
BMW R1200GS
Triumph Bonneville
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1129 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 2008, 1:26 pm

Too much time on my hands thinking about this tank thing, and also wondering if the spreading and paint bubbles might be a result of not only the gasahol, but also the actual shape of the SC's tank vs the Monster, etc.

Garry W. Bird, YMRacing
AHRMA, CCS #72
post #33 of 1129 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2008, 12:18 am

2006 S1K Mono, tank was tight when purchased new in September 2007, noticed in spring 2008 it was loose, continued to loosen.

In July 2008 I shimmed the brackets and it has been tight since, but only was ridden for a couple months after the shimming.

post #34 of 1129 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2008, 9:01 pm

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/results.cfm 2007 = 11 complaints filed.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/results.cfm 2006 = 12 complaints filed.

That equals a whopping 23 complaints I can find at NTSB. Out of 57 votes with tank problems. Come on, hit the link and file. Nobody is gonna come and get you. Maybe you don't mind spending $1600.00 on a fuel tank that keeps doing the same thing? At this point, over 60% are messed up.
http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2008/Jan/080109b.htm
http://www.desmonorthwest.com/forums...ead.php?t=6161
OK, it is hard to get hard numbers on total sales by model, but this is a lot of bikes. Let's get some real numbers together and get this fixed.

2015 Ducati Monster 821
2008 Kawasaki ZX14

Last edited by brooksie; Dec 1st, 2008 at 9:09 pm.
post #35 of 1129 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2008, 9:50 pm

Yeah, my wife's and my bikes are both having the issue. I'll just fix them myself and be done with it. I don't think the NHTSA site is going to do any good if we don't go through the warranty process first, and I'm just not going to go through that with my dealer...
post #36 of 1129 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 8:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Scott View Post
Yeah, my wife's and my bikes are both having the issue. I'll just fix them myself and be done with it. I don't think the NHTSA site is going to do any good if we don't go through the warranty process first, and I'm just not going to go through that with my dealer...
The problem is after a while you won't be able to fix it, you'll be out of warranty and the replacement tanks do the same thing. Have the dealer tell you they won't/can't fix it. We gotta try, eh?

2015 Ducati Monster 821
2008 Kawasaki ZX14
post #37 of 1129 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 10:31 am
Lifetime Premium

I would definitely contact your dealer and see what they say. It doesn’t take long to replace a tank but it cost $1900 (according to my dealer). The fix is only temporary in my opinion and eventually your bars may even hit the tank. Contacting NHTSA can't hurt plus it may help push Ducati to come up with a permanent fix if they aren't already working on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Scott View Post

Ventura County Ducati Owners Club (VCDOC)
post #38 of 1129 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 11:21 am

Just celebrated my SC1000's 2nd birthday (and the end of the warranty) with the installation of tank #3. When #1 started to spread, I made spacers to go between the frame and the front brackets but it kept spreading and also pushed a little forward out of the brackets. Dealer has many SCs waiting for tanks so evidently there has been no running production change to the design. Part # hasn't changed, either. I've been told that if it wasn't for the warranty, I would have been out upwards of $1,600 (times 2).
So, where to now? I really like the bike and while I think the spacers are better than having the tank supported by the air box or frame (or having the controls go through the side of the tank), you are only chasing the spread. I'm keeping a close eye on #3 and I've got a couple of ideas on how to help the tank with its memory. If you google "Bulge in Sport Classic Gas Tank" you will find the story of tank #1 with pictures..

Voted and complaint filed. Also like the angle that the tank is part of the emission system in California - can't seem to find the other part, though.

Am I the only one that thought AZ_Scott was having the same problem with his wife? And he was going to fix it himself??
Ken
06 Sport Classic with Zard slip-ons, Cycle Cat adjustable bars, Whistler Cruisader, 15mm preload in the forks, "comfort seat", and my own fender elimination with Lite'N Boltz for the plate.

Last edited by Youkai; Dec 3rd, 2008 at 12:32 pm. Reason: update
post #39 of 1129 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 12:10 pm Thread Starter

I wonder if this could be a regional or state thing? My dealer (and good friend so he's not going to BS me) has never heard of tanks spreading. As far as he knows it is not a problem in North or South Carolina. (He sells a lot of bikes to people in both states.) In other words, could our fuel be different? A different formulation for S.C. and N.C.? Fewer additives? Less ethanol?

Ducati Paul Smart LE
BMW R1200GS
Triumph Bonneville
post #40 of 1129 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 12:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksie View Post
The problem is after a while you won't be able to fix it, you'll be out of warranty and the replacement tanks do the same thing. Have the dealer tell you they won't/can't fix it. We gotta try, eh?
Our bikes are already out of warranty.

As for our dealer... Well, that's a whole other story I won't get into...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode