Tank Problems - Yes or No - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
View Poll Results: Are you having problems with your tank?
Yes, I am having problems with my tank. 366 66.79%
No, I am not having problems with my tank. 182 33.21%
Voters: 548. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 1129 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 2008, 2:13 pm

06 Sport 1000 MONO

No problems, touch wood.

Purchased new Sept07
2500 miles
Garaged
Not exposed to any extreme heat i.e lucky to get above 25c in UK summer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 1129 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 2008, 1:27 am

Tank problems Yes or No ? Yes here!

Yes I have the same basic issue as most. Tank is loose. Not 100% sure if it's spreading. In one of my other posts I mentioned seening this spreading(?) oversize tanks, or just very poor Q Control on brand new uncrated bikes without fuel. Yes it is quite upsetting to say the least. Can't help but wonder if they're fully aware of the problem and it's really poor quality tank from ther suppliers (if they are not made in house) and facing production quotas. In 2 different dealerships recently seeing 2 unpacked bikes and were not fueled tanks could be lifted at least out of one side. I ask again for memeber to check ot other SC's PSLE etc. IN THE SHOWROOMS and post their observations. I will soon have my tank off and first want to measure the frame width so we can have some data exactly what the average frame mounting poits/cups are. Then record the width of the tank. MEMBER please check out some drand new bikes and post your observaions and dimensions. Thanks
post #13 of 1129 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 2008, 3:08 am

voted 'yes'

I had to shim my 06 sport tank a couple of months ago so I don't remember exactly, but it had grown either 1 or 1 1/2 inches too wide and could easily lift off the bike. It wasn't symmetrically distorted, either. One side needed 1/2 inch more spacer than the other for the tank to be centered.

Love the bike, though.
Cheers,
Neil

post #14 of 1129 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 2008, 9:51 am

I voted 'yes'.

As of my vote, there were 34 of you who also voted 'yes'. However, when I do a search of the complaints filed with the ODI/NHTSA (Office of Defects Investigation/Naional Highway Traffic Safety Administration), there have only been 19 complaints filed for Sport Classics covering every model year.

Why aren't people taking the couple of minutes to fill out the form? It probably took me longer to type this post than it did to fill out a complaint.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

Based on this survey, there should be at least 34 complaints...and that's assuming all of the 19 complaints that have been filed voted on this forum (which is highly unlikely).

2007 GT1000
post #15 of 1129 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 2008, 10:46 am

tank problem yes

My strong opinion is we should all MEASURE the tank width by removing our tanks. This way we can ACCURATELY now joe tank is X amount, johs is X amount. LETS SEE HOW MUCH THEY ARE ACTUALLY SPREADING !!! We need data !!!! I think everyone should be carefull if the plastic quick disconnects are cold best to remove inside where it's warm, catch fuel while removing. I gently repinch the outer squeeze ring the opposite direction so in an attempt to obtain the best holding power from their design, also lube them before insertion. Remember to turn key on a check for leaks. Mine will be off soon and I will post the data. Can't access the NHTSB right now,site is down ????
post #16 of 1129 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 2008, 12:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magua X View Post
I voted 'yes'.

As of my vote, there were 34 of you who also voted 'yes'. However, when I do a search of the complaints filed with the ODI/NHTSA (Office of Defects Investigation/Naional Highway Traffic Safety Administration), there have only been 19 complaints filed for Sport Classics covering every model year.

Why aren't people taking the couple of minutes to fill out the form? It probably took me longer to type this post than it did to fill out a complaint.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

Based on this survey, there should be at least 34 complaints...and that's assuming all of the 19 complaints that have been filed voted on this forum (which is highly unlikely).

+1 on that! Let's keep focused on the issue. If the link doesn't work, keeping trying. It's worth the price of a new tank eventually, isn't it?

2015 Ducati Monster 821
2008 Kawasaki ZX14
post #17 of 1129 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 2008, 1:04 pm

I haven't filed mine yet I'm going down to Seattle Ducati Sat to look into just how bad it is. Anybody going to be out and about in Seattle this weekend?

1964 Triton. W/58' Triumph 650
1970 Norton Commando not painted
1999 900ss yellow
2006 sport1000 red monoposto
Way to many vintage VW's <-- the other illness

“Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.”
"Good coffee should be indistinguishable from 50 weight motor oil. "
post #18 of 1129 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 2008, 1:53 pm

Haven't filed a formal complaint yet as I just found out that the tank has spread. Last time I rode it...about 2 weeks ago it was ok. Just took it off the stand 10 minutes ago to get ready to head to Louisiana for a week of riding, and the tank damn near came off! Will shim and ride, but will next make a call to my dealer as my warranty is good 'til April '09.

gwb

Garry W. Bird, YMRacing
AHRMA, CCS #72
post #19 of 1129 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 2008, 5:46 pm

Seems to me that if it's documented that folks outside of North America are not experiencing the tank spreading issue, including them in this poll will provide results that are skewed more towards the "no" vote than they should be.

Andy

08 Hypermotard S (red)
07 GT1000 (gray), traded for Hypermotard
06 Genuine Buddy 125
04 Aprilia 50cc 2 stroke, 65 cc cylinder head, touring exhaust, RIP
Custom road bike, Ciocc steel frame, campy road set
post #20 of 1129 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 2008, 7:38 pm

Talked to my local dealer, Hall's in Springfield, IL. There is a spreading tank recall that talks about shimming the tank. In the interim, I found dimpling in the tank on the right hand side. The dimpling Hall's says will allow the tank to be replaced under warranty.

During discussion the service guy asked about the gas tank vent and whether or not it was clear. He seems to think that a bad vent may be causing some of the problems. He recomended shooting some WD-40 into the vent and seeing if it went through. Mine didn't. I disconnected the line at the base of the tank and removed it. (of course it was to vent into that ugly canister...wonder where that went...) The line was plugged with something. I blew it clear and reinstalled it, checking by blowing backwards throught the vent with my finger over the under gas cap vent..works now.

Just a thought for those that have no problems yet and hope to have no problems.

Garry W. Bird, YMRacing
AHRMA, CCS #72
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode