Tank Problems - Yes or No - Page 113 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
View Poll Results: Are you having problems with your tank?
Yes, I am having problems with my tank. 366 66.79%
No, I am not having problems with my tank. 182 33.21%
Voters: 548. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1121 of 1129 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2012, 12:15 am

ian,

Thanks man! Yeah - it's a real funky situation. My fear, and I read it somewhere here, is that someone did the coating and still had the tank spread after 18months. Now this can be an issue with who/how it was coated but it still came back. I'm on the fence and would hate to coat, have it happen again, then not be covered under the warranty.

It's a messed up deal...

Thanks,
19DUC04

2009 Ducati Sport 1000 Biposto (Black/White)
- 14t SuperSprox, DIY Danmoto Silencers, DEI wraps, FatDuc, Gauge Lowering Kit, New R/R, New Battery, Dunlop Q2s, DIY Tailchop, TankSlapper, Tank Spread Puck Kit
2002 HD Sportster Custom/Bobber (Black Powder Coat)
2000 GSXR 750 (Blue/White)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1122 of 1129 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 2012, 12:34 pm

My 2 cents. Bought my 2010 new from Ducati Seattle a year ago. The tank had already spread beyond the brackets sitting on the showroom floor. Dave R. ordered a new one for me and I immediately had it coated with Caswell. I had a professional shop do it, 2 coats and scoping after each coat to see if anything was missed). I've not had a problem so far.

2010 GP1000
post #1123 of 1129 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2012, 10:02 pm

Bought my 09 sportclassic with the tank already expanded, It was wobbling like crazy had it coated no problems since.

post #1124 of 1129 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2014, 2:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMRacing View Post
The service bulletin from Ducati SVC-10-026 tells of a kit for the installation of the fuel tank fastner kit part no 69926061A. The revised fastners have a wider loadbearing surfaces. The kit accommadates possible tank expansion without loss of a secure mounting ..... or so says the boyz from Bologna.
As info for anyone else in this situation, I had 2 tanks replaced (hitting the handlebars) on my SportClassic 1000 SE.

The first 2 replacements had the CA emissions sticker on the bottom, the third one didn't. (I am calling the dealer about that oversight...)
The third tank I had coated @ the dealer before install and got the retrofit kit as well.

Now (+2 years) I notice the LH side of the tank moves up and down. Noticed after taking the tank off to do a MWR filter install.

On top of the extended mounting pegs, the retrofit also has a rubber spacer at the back RIGHT HAND SIDE ONLY ziptied to the frame to support the RH side of the tank. The left hand side seems to rest on the wiring harness. It doesn't come up under the official parts fische. I need another one of those "pads" to hold up the tank so it doesn't touch the wiring harness, and stops wiggling.

I called the dealer about it and got this parts information, and need a replacement "tank support pad" like I do.

Quote:
Ducati SVC 10-026
69926061A
Retrofit kit w/ tank mounts, spacers, and ONE pad.

Ducati OEM TANK BEARING PAD: 85012381A
"tank support pad"
$9.61

(ducati 85040131a <- some kind of threaded insert? maybe wrong part#)
$2
post #1125 of 1129 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2014, 5:02 pm

Doesn't the dealer coated new tank come with a lifetime warranty? Which dealer was it?

You can always remove the emissions sticker from an expanded tank and put it on the new one. Maybe the dealer has an expanded tank, doesn't matter what model as long as it meets emissions standards.

When I was fast,
motorcycles were slow.
Now motorcycles are fast,
and I'm slow.

"Black is the only color for a motorcycle.
Unless you want to sell it, then paint it red."
- Melvin "Swede" Dunlap, 1966

Cafe racers are built,
not bought.

The older I get,
the faster I was.
post #1126 of 1129 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2014, 7:45 pm

Late arrival of another yes vote..
post #1127 of 1129 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2014, 5:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1duckyboy View Post
Which dealer was it?
Hattar Moto in San Rafael.
(In reality, "Ace Motorsports of Concord", since they were bought out six months before.)

"Hattar-Ace" both did the Warranty replacement on the Third tank (and forgot the stickers) and also did the tank coating (claiming they had an official contract).
Ace Motorsports did my second tank, but after they did really dumb things like returning my bike to me with a dead battery, or chipping the paint on my rear cowling and feigning ignorance, I stopped going there.

Quote:
Doesn't the dealer coated new tank come with a lifetime warranty?
Warranty? On the tank or the coating?

The tank warranty is probably voided by coating, but it was my best option at the time as the warranty was purchase+5yrs (cosmetic) and purchase+6yrs (mechanical).
And I don't think "Hattar-Ace" will stand behind the coating... look up achung123's posts and you'll see what I mean. The OLD Hattar might have.

Quote:
You can always remove the emissions sticker from an expanded tank and put it on the new one. Maybe the dealer has an expanded tank, doesn't matter what model as long as it meets emissions standards.
This only came up now (+2 years after I had my tank coated) because I didn't do my own work, I TOOK IT TO A DEALER. I had no reason to look under my tank. So no sticker.

The screw-up happened 2 years ago, and I only found out about it now because I have become experienced enough to pull the tank and install an air filter on my own safely.

I have photos of the old stickers only because I was curious when my first tank was replaced and snapped a few pics.
Hence why they look like they were taken with a potato.
I am seeing if I can't post them up here in case someone else needs them.

I'm a real sticker for saving stock parts and keeping proper legal documentation... so if for whatever reason I get held up/can't transfer/sell it here in California because of this, I will be livid.
There are actually 2 part numbers on the bottom right of each sticker. I am going to stay on their case until they get those (or letter signed stating as much signed by the head honcho in Cupertino).

Hell, I could ride down there and knock on his window.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0040.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	604.5 KB
ID:	435385   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0041.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	525.1 KB
ID:	435393   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0042.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	721.8 KB
ID:	435401   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0044.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	607.5 KB
ID:	435409  

Last edited by Impulsive_Duc; Aug 21st, 2014 at 8:23 am.
post #1128 of 1129 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2014, 5:55 am

i didn't read all the post as its too long, will read later on, but wanted to ask... was this tank issue only happening in America, ducati sport classic bikes due to the fuel/petrol they used? i have not heard any issues in Australia about tank problem that get a bulge, dimple or large lump on tank area?
post #1129 of 1129 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2014, 5:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by caf? racer View Post
i didn't read all the post as its too long, will read later on, but wanted to ask... was this tank issue only happening in America, ducati sport classic bikes due to the fuel/petrol they used? i have not heard any issues in Australia about tank problem that get a bulge, dimple or large lump on tank area?
Same issues in the UK. I have a GT1K registered in 2009. The tank was rattling all over when I bought it last year. I've shimmed it and its nice and tight now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode