Wet to dry clutch conversion? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Sport Classic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jul 31st, 2008, 10:06 pm   #1 (permalink)

Wet to dry clutch conversion?

Can the wet clutch on the GT be swapped out with a dry clutch from another 1000DS engine? I asked my local mechanic and he said he "thought" it would be possible, but he'd have to look further into it to confirm. Well I'm impatient so I pose the question to collective wisdom at Ducati.ms.

So is it possible, you know, without major modification ($$$)?

Thanks,

Shaun
Backhome77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 31st, 2008, 10:12 pm   #2 (permalink)
Official Sponsor

This question has been covered a few times Shaun
Give the search a shot and you will find them.
JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backhome77 View Post
Can the wet clutch on the GT be swapped out with a dry clutch from another 1000DS engine? I asked my local mechanic and he said he "thought" it would be possible, but he'd have to look further into it to confirm. Well I'm impatient so I pose the question to collective wisdom at Ducati.ms.

So is it possible, you know, without major modification ($$$)?

Thanks,

Shaun

jc@jcpakbikes.com
JCPAKBIKES
FACEBOOK
sportclassicspecialties.com
FLEDA TRON LEGACY
ALPINA WHEELS USA
AELLA CASUNO / NCR / DISCACCIATI / CARBON DRY / BITUBO
JCPakBikes is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jul 31st, 2008, 11:04 pm   #3 (permalink)

Well JC that wasn't very helpfull lol.. haven't thought of doing this myself but I did try to search for the conversion and I can't find it. Care to link it instead of just saying it exists? or perhaps key words to search?
Old Jul 31st, 2008, 11:23 pm   #4 (permalink)

Thanks JC,

I tried a search before posting but came up dry. After your post, I tried again with different key words and found some threads speculating about an NCR kit and expensive DP parts.

However, I'm wondering if anyone has actually done this using cheap parts scavenged off another DS engine, not a 3k+ conversion kit.
Old Jul 31st, 2008, 11:26 pm   #5 (permalink)

I would not hesitate to trade you my SC1000 dry clutch for your wet clutch. I know it is not a viable trade but it is one I would make if I could.
FilmCam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jul 31st, 2008, 11:42 pm   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
I know it is not a viable trade but it is one I would make if I could.
Is it really not viable?

If it's a relatively simple swap, you could send your clutch components down to me when you lay the bike up for winter. (I'm assuming you don't ride year round in B.C.)
I could have the dry bits installed and send you the wet clutch components.

In theory.

What I'd like to find out is if this kind of swap is feasible.
Old Jul 31st, 2008, 11:56 pm   #7 (permalink)
Official Sponsor

Dry Clutch conversion was what I remembered the search to be..
nevertheless
i was not being rude or mean. I have a 05 ST3 and thought of this back in 05.
The wrenches I asked about this gave me the impression it was more work then it was worth doing
As a matter of fact the last threads I do recall regarding this issue was left off with no information of actual cases but lots of info of very expensive possibilities. Also with people yearning for someone who might eventually come out with a kit for a wet to dry clutch conversion.
I was left with the impression from the wrenches and the forum that it would almost be cheaper to swap out with a dry clutch motor

My theory and from info gathered fwiw is the side cases would need to be swapped or the existing case's oil passage would need to be plugged.
Last time I did anything like that was on a 62 Pan head Harley so I could run a primary belt drive. Lotta work. All in all it would be custom and most of the time "Custom" is a very expensive word.

There is a cool option that Dave McQueen has done which was to cut out a hole and put a sealed window so you could see the clutch spin. Neat, novel and brave idea but not a dry clutch by any means.
I will leave you to do a search for that one.
Maybe someone can help out and remembers that thread by Dave?

I would be very interested to see what comes up this time with this wet to dry conversion thread.
Keep us posted.
JC

Post edit: Found a picture of the McQueen Clutch viewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backhome77 View Post
Thanks JC,

I tried a search before posting but came up dry. After your post, I tried again with different key words and found some threads speculating about an NCR kit and expensive DP parts.

However, I'm wondering if anyone has actually done this using cheap parts scavenged off another DS engine, not a 3k+ conversion kit.
Attached Thumbnails
Wet to dry clutch conversion?-dualshockhuggerdmcq.jpg  

jc@jcpakbikes.com
JCPAKBIKES
FACEBOOK
sportclassicspecialties.com
FLEDA TRON LEGACY
ALPINA WHEELS USA
AELLA CASUNO / NCR / DISCACCIATI / CARBON DRY / BITUBO

Last edited by JCPakBikes; Aug 1st, 2008 at 12:02 am.
JCPakBikes is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Aug 1st, 2008, 12:26 am   #8 (permalink)

Woah, that sounds interesting! a window in a wet clutch?! now that sounds fun. I was riding next to a monster and heard a dry clutch for the first time (mostly harleys and japanese bikes here) and it was a very interesting sound. Never rode a bike with a dry clutch but I must say, cool sound!. So about 3K for a conversion? you could almost buy decent used bike for that much. Custom, I suppose does just mean $$$.
Old Aug 1st, 2008, 3:24 am   #9 (permalink)

It can be done, one of the guys on the old DML,now DMF did it with his monster.
Apparantly it was a royal pain in the butt too, I'll have a look for it and see if I can find a link for you,though the search is now broken on the old site.
Old Aug 1st, 2008, 5:01 am   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandas View Post
Woah, that sounds interesting! a window in a wet clutch?! now that sounds fun. I was riding next to a monster and heard a dry clutch for the first time (mostly harleys and japanese bikes here) and it was a very interesting sound. Never rode a bike with a dry clutch but I must say, cool sound!. So about 3K for a conversion? you could almost buy decent used bike for that much. Custom, I suppose does just mean $$$.
If it is just the sound you are after, this is a cheaper option:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhYnAeKiTq4
IN2VWS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.