http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Motorcycle Forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Sport Classic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jul 6th, 2008, 7:10 pm   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

2009 Sport Classic Line

Heard today that the only model to be produced/offered for 2009 in the Sport Classic line is the GT. Just curious, anyone else hear anything about this?
Past bikes:
'70 Honda CB750 KO
'65 Triumph Bonneville
'62 Petro Mini bike

Last edited by egrafx2006; Jul 6th, 2008 at 11:50 pm.
egrafx2006 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 6th, 2008, 10:14 pm   #2 (permalink)
AAL

My recollection was that there was a post a month or so ago that referred to the California Air Resources Board approvals for 09 bikes, and all three of the current sport classic models were listed. I would guess that means they'll all be marketed. Doesn't indicate what changes if any there might be.
AAL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jul 6th, 2008, 10:27 pm   #3 (permalink)

To me, the SC Line is more of a novelty thing in that these aren't exactly the first moto most people are going to out and get. Sure, many forum members have in fact purchased an SC as their very first moto, but those aren't the majority. Those who choose to buy this version of Ducati, to me, have a specific taste for a specific moto. As of course, others do for their specific motos.

However, point being, I kinda want the SC line to be discontinued in that from this point on, the constant production of the same moto with subtle changes in ergos (maybe) / paint / little do-dads might not fully be a feasible market to try and force-feed for the sake of nostalgia. You can only get soo vintage or pay homage to a time-frame before it's no longer special. the forum members might in fact feel like this based on the lucky ones to own the 06 versions. I kinda want someone in 5 years to be looking for an SC rather than going out and buying the 2012 version. While it's not an MH900E, I'd like it to be a 2 year version of a line of motos so many people were able to get.
There's plenty out there, but their not at every street corner around the world.

In otherwords, I'd kinda be bummed if these versions of a classic moto, became more of a commodity for the sake of it being a line of motos that's become another Yamaha R1. In that, their a dime a dozen.

Isn't that what a Triumph Bonneville became and still is?

Just a tinge selfish to the SC line,

livedd0

God Does Not Offer Tech Support / '07 - S1000S
livedd0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jul 6th, 2008, 10:36 pm   #4 (permalink)
AAL

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/...992_0d8_hn.pdf

The above is to the CARB certification for the 2009 models. Looking at it now, it lists the GT and the Sport 1000 Biposto. Maybe means the S model won't be sold?
AAL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jul 6th, 2008, 11:09 pm   #5 (permalink)
Bly

It would probably make sense for the company to market the GT and the Sport, since they do appeal to slightly different people, and sell the fairings as an accessory.
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 12:02 am   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by livedd0 View Post
To me, the SC Line is more of a novelty...

There's plenty out there, but their not at every street corner around the world.

In otherwords, I'd kinda be bummed if these versions of a classic moto, became more of a commodity for the sake of it being a line of motos that's become another Yamaha R1. In that, their a dime a dozen.

Isn't that what a Triumph Bonneville became and still is?

livedd0
there is a flip side to this... the bonne and thruxton (which many SC1000 owners debated over before buying the duc) are classics for sure. the sc is also a classic while in an entirely different league. while the bonne and thruxton have the malaise of being overly common (to livedd0's point) they also have the benefit of having an abundance of following and options for modification. There is no shortage of parts and custom made whosiwhatsits to make your thruxton into your own image. The SC's on the other hand, all for the most part look the same. sure we can put on custom belt covers and pipes mirrors etc if you look at it comparitively there are far fewer options with the duc largely due to the smaller market.

so while i would love to see my bike become a hard to get classic in more than just name, there's part of me who wants Ducati to keep cranking them out, so the market grows and inspires more and more innovation in the aftermarket.

my 2 cents

2007 SportClassic 1000
DietrichPfeifer's Bang Bang Magic Gauge Lowering Brackets, Paul Smith's Fork Guards, Lindeman Engineering custom suspension, DietrichPfeifer's Performance Airfilter Cover, FatDuc o2 Manipulator, naked belts with speedy moto bling, dpcars Tail Chop kit, GTrossi's Hugger, Rizoma Sportline Billet Grips, Pazzo Racing Shorty levers and a Flash2Pass Garage door opener .

2003 Genuine Scooters Stella
STOCK (except for a new halogen headlight and LED tail light) oh and some CHROME!

squarecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 12:13 pm   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Forgot to mention that there will also be an 1100 Monster to compliment the new 696.
Past bikes:
'70 Honda CB750 KO
'65 Triumph Bonneville
'62 Petro Mini bike
egrafx2006 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 1:45 am   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by egrafx2006 View Post
Forgot to mention that there will also be an 1100 Monster to compliment the new 696.
1100 Monster?
Hmm.
Wonder if it'll look like the 696?
SSSA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 1:52 am   #9 (permalink)

hope not, new shape is fugly
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 2:11 am   #10 (permalink)
Bly

Quote:
Originally Posted by corks67 View Post
hope not, new shape is fugly
Agreed. Monsters don't appeal to me at all.
A sporty naked bike with a 1098/848 motor in it would be nice to see though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.