http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Motorcycle Forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Sport Classic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 24th, 2008, 5:36 pm   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy GT 1000 Termignoni pipe problem

First I'd like to say hello, this is my first post, I wish it was on a happier note. Has anyone had problems with their Termignoni pipes fitting properly? The right side pipe on mine is tilted upward and outward. Anotherwords the cone on the end of the pipe looks rotated counterclockwise. I have now tried three different right side pipes from Ducati, and all have the same problem. It looks like the mounting holes were drilled wrong or the pipe was welded incorrectly. Ducati doesn't seem to realize there is a problem, but to have three all with same problem? I find it hard to believe it's just me with this issue.
MesaRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 24th, 2008, 5:59 pm   #2 (permalink)

Hi MesaRider, and welcome to the board...!

What kind of SC do you have? I would be happy to take a second look at the pipes to see if maybe something else is going on besides the pipe being wrong (I'm in North Phoenix, but willing to meet you anywhere in the valley, any excuse to ride ya know?).

The termis on my GT have never really been exactly even, but I'm pretty sure I could get them there with some fiddling. Just never bothered me enough to take the time, yet.
Old May 24th, 2008, 10:24 pm   #3 (permalink)

G'Day Mesa rider,
If you have a GT it seems to be a Ducati Quirk.
My right hand can took a bit of persuasion to fit.
When finally fitted it was noticeably higher than the left side.
My mind was instantly filled with thoughts of bent frame e.t.c
I checked out the dealerships GT with Termis & theirs was the same.
Hope you can get your's to fit as they sound great.
GreyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 24th, 2008, 11:08 pm   #4 (permalink)

I had to pull the ones on my GT when I took it to the DMV (I bought the bike out of state). When I put them back on, I found that the position and angle of the pipes varied dramatically by how I twisted them on the header, and how far onto the header I slipped the muffler. When I first put it on I tightened everything up and then realized that it looked like crap. I then loosened everything back up and found that I had a very wide latitude of positioning even though the bracket has a single hole that has to go to one spot on the frame.

To get them right (on mine), one side is slipped at least 1/2" further onto the headpipe than the other.
MajorSoftie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 25th, 2008, 3:27 am   #5 (permalink)

Hello There,
I am also a new member. I am from Paris, France.
I did encounter the same issue on my GT 1000 when fitting a second hand Termi kit. I eventually find out that the black metal plate screwed on the passenger footpeg and holding the pipes are not symetrical. On my bike, the left one is ''flatter'' than the right one is Termis or stock, same story : the left exhaust is lower than the right one. Visually disturbing indeed.
Anyway, as I have been disappointed by the Termi kit (mainly visually - look and quality) I have decided to get rid of it and keep the stock exhausts until I find Staintune. They don't have to be fitted with the black plate, it should solve the ''problem''.
Hoping my contribution will help, Best regards from France and thanks to you all for all that can be read and seen here. Very inspiring !

Last edited by berlioz_2007; May 25th, 2008 at 3:32 am.
berlioz_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 25th, 2008, 7:12 am   #6 (permalink)
Master of Bumnitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by berlioz_2007 View Post
I eventually find out that the black metal plate screwed on the passenger footpeg and holding the pipes are not symmetrical. On my bike, the left one is ''flatter'' than the right one is
If it'll any comfort, this sort of left/right incongruity was typical on many early Ferraris. (It is also typical of many human faces) Comes from hand-tooling of the forms (or god-tooling in the later case).

Today we are so used to everything being computer perfect that we find these things troublesome. My long-passed grandfather, a remarkable artist, designer, inventor and architect, once told me that the imperfections inherent in human craft should be seen to add life to creations. He used the slight imperfections in the cutting of mats on great works of art as examples of this saying that if they were "perfect" the works would appear sterile.

Today, when most mat cutting is done by computer, those imperfections are gone and, not surprisingly to me, he has been proven correct. Thus it is not surprising to me that the best framers still do it the old, "imperfect", way.

The SCs are, to an amazing degree, the product of hand-tooling. By this I do not mean that the individual bikes are less the product of an assembly line than other Ducatis, but that the tooling and form making was done the old-fashioned way for what was seen to be a very limited run of machines.

Decide for yourself whether this is pure rationalization.

-don

http://donstnt.blogspot.com/

"Old rockers never die"
(They just keep asking everyone to repeat themselves because THEY'RE BLOODY DEAF)

Last edited by DUCeditor; May 25th, 2008 at 7:22 am.
DUCeditor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 25th, 2008, 2:08 pm   #7 (permalink)

The exhaust hangers are attached to the frame with an allan bolt so the angle of the hanger can probably be adjusted a bit. My right pipe is 1/4" higher than my left one. I could care less, but all this talk has me feeling self-conscious about it. Maybe I'll try to adjust it. Nah, I'd rather spend that time riding it.
Red GT1000: - Termis (sans baffles), bar-end mirrors, Clay Carrier fork protectors, Motovation frame & fork sliders, Dietrich's gauge brackets (these rock), Front turn indicator spacers removed, 1.0 kg/mm fork springs, Fork Oil: 7 wt.comp, 5 wt.reb, 15/44 F/R Sprockets, Gold DID Chain, Chain guard removed (to show off the chain)...
Jeff_Quan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 25th, 2008, 2:50 pm   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Anyway, as I have been disappointed by the Termi kit (mainly visually - look and quality) I have decided to get rid of it and keep the stock exhausts until I find Staintune
they do look like crap. Staintune or the Conti replicas all the way.

-Full Termi System
-Tons of CF
-Frightens me

1993 Kawasaki KLR650

-Long hauler/commuter

1974 XS650 resto mod.
OldSkoolCool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 25th, 2008, 11:12 pm   #9 (permalink)

I love the Staintunes on my GT, but they also fit a tiny bit crooked. It must be the angle of the header pipe or the way the brackets are set up or something.

Trust me though, after about a minute of riding it and listening to that beautiful exhaust sound, you tend to forget the pipe angle.

Put them on and enjoy them
-73 T-140 (restoration #2 - or one very long restoration)

(not-so recently departed '07 GT 1000)

Fritzi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 26th, 2008, 10:46 pm   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolCool View Post
they do look like crap. Staintune or the Conti replicas all the way.
I kinda like the way that the Termis are sorta raw lookin' and less polished & "pretty" than the Staintunes. I'm thinkin about stripping the chrome off the headers and just having them brushed to match the Termis. Don't get me wrong though, I like the Staintunes too. I'm just very happy with the Termis - especially the sound.
Red GT1000: - Termis (sans baffles), bar-end mirrors, Clay Carrier fork protectors, Motovation frame & fork sliders, Dietrich's gauge brackets (these rock), Front turn indicator spacers removed, 1.0 kg/mm fork springs, Fork Oil: 7 wt.comp, 5 wt.reb, 15/44 F/R Sprockets, Gold DID Chain, Chain guard removed (to show off the chain)...
Jeff_Quan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.