Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

GT 1000 Termignoni pipe problem

8K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  mayo77ca 
#1 ·
First I'd like to say hello, this is my first post, I wish it was on a happier note. Has anyone had problems with their Termignoni pipes fitting properly? The right side pipe on mine is tilted upward and outward. Anotherwords the cone on the end of the pipe looks rotated counterclockwise. I have now tried three different right side pipes from Ducati, and all have the same problem. It looks like the mounting holes were drilled wrong or the pipe was welded incorrectly. Ducati doesn't seem to realize there is a problem, but to have three all with same problem? I find it hard to believe it's just me with this issue.

#2 ·
Hi MesaRider, and welcome to the board...!

What kind of SC do you have? I would be happy to take a second look at the pipes to see if maybe something else is going on besides the pipe being wrong (I'm in North Phoenix, but willing to meet you anywhere in the valley, any excuse to ride ya know?).

The termis on my GT have never really been exactly even, but I'm pretty sure I could get them there with some fiddling. Just never bothered me enough to take the time, yet.

#3 ·
G'Day Mesa rider,
If you have a GT it seems to be a Ducati Quirk.
My right hand can took a bit of persuasion to fit.
When finally fitted it was noticeably higher than the left side.
My mind was instantly filled with thoughts of bent frame e.t.c
I checked out the dealerships GT with Termis & theirs was the same.
Hope you can get your's to fit as they sound great.

#4 ·
I had to pull the ones on my GT when I took it to the DMV (I bought the bike out of state). When I put them back on, I found that the position and angle of the pipes varied dramatically by how I twisted them on the header, and how far onto the header I slipped the muffler. When I first put it on I tightened everything up and then realized that it looked like crap. I then loosened everything back up and found that I had a very wide latitude of positioning even though the bracket has a single hole that has to go to one spot on the frame.

To get them right (on mine), one side is slipped at least 1/2" further onto the headpipe than the other.

#5 · (Edited)
Hello There,
I am also a new member. I am from Paris, France.
I did encounter the same issue on my GT 1000 when fitting a second hand Termi kit. I eventually find out that the black metal plate screwed on the passenger footpeg and holding the pipes are not symetrical. On my bike, the left one is ''flatter'' than the right one is :mad: Termis or stock, same story : the left exhaust is lower than the right one. Visually disturbing indeed.
Anyway, as I have been disappointed by the Termi kit (mainly visually - look and quality) I have decided to get rid of it and keep the stock exhausts until I find Staintune. They don't have to be fitted with the black plate, it should solve the ''problem''.
Hoping my contribution will help, Best regards from France and thanks to you all for all that can be read and seen here. Very inspiring !

#6 · (Edited)
I eventually find out that the black metal plate screwed on the passenger footpeg and holding the pipes are not symmetrical. On my bike, the left one is ''flatter'' than the right one is :mad:
If it'll any comfort, this sort of left/right incongruity was typical on many early Ferraris. (It is also typical of many human faces) Comes from hand-tooling of the forms (or god-tooling in the later case). ;)

Today we are so used to everything being computer perfect that we find these things troublesome. My long-passed grandfather, a remarkable artist, designer, inventor and architect, once told me that the imperfections inherent in human craft should be seen to add life to creations. He used the slight imperfections in the cutting of mats on great works of art as examples of this saying that if they were "perfect" the works would appear sterile.

Today, when most mat cutting is done by computer, those imperfections are gone and, not surprisingly to me, he has been proven correct. Thus it is not surprising to me that the best framers still do it the old, "imperfect", way.

The SCs are, to an amazing degree, the product of hand-tooling. By this I do not mean that the individual bikes are less the product of an assembly line than other Ducatis, but that the tooling and form making was done the old-fashioned way for what was seen to be a very limited run of machines.

Decide for yourself whether this is pure rationalization. :)

-don

#7 ·
The exhaust hangers are attached to the frame with an allan bolt so the angle of the hanger can probably be adjusted a bit. My right pipe is 1/4" higher than my left one. I could care less, but all this talk has me feeling self-conscious about it. Maybe I'll try to adjust it. Nah, I'd rather spend that time riding it.

#8 ·
Anyway, as I have been disappointed by the Termi kit (mainly visually - look and quality) I have decided to get rid of it and keep the stock exhausts until I find Staintune
they do look like crap. Staintune or the Conti replicas all the way.

#10 ·
I kinda like the way that the Termis are sorta raw lookin' and less polished & "pretty" than the Staintunes. I'm thinkin about stripping the chrome off the headers and just having them brushed to match the Termis. Don't get me wrong though, I like the Staintunes too. I'm just very happy with the Termis - especially the sound.

#9 ·
I love the Staintunes on my GT, but they also fit a tiny bit crooked. It must be the angle of the header pipe or the way the brackets are set up or something.

Trust me though, after about a minute of riding it and listening to that beautiful exhaust sound, you tend to forget the pipe angle.

Put them on and enjoy them

#12 ·
Has anybody compared the level of sound of the Termis vs. the Staintunes or Keihan on the GT1000? I've had the Termignonis on my GT since new and I love the sound quality but sometimes I think they're a bit too loud. I've used a Garmin on long trips and even with an amplifier it's difficult to hear when I'm cruising at speed.

#14 ·
I kinda like the way that the Termis are sorta raw lookin' and less polished & "pretty" than the Staintunes. I'm thinkin about stripping the chrome off the headers and just having them brushed to match the Termis. Don't get me wrong though, I like the Staintunes too. I'm just very happy with the Termis - especially the sound.
not that i hate that, i hate the way they look...physically. Ugly as hell, and ugly as hell mounting. I hate chrome as much as the next guy.

Has anybody compared the level of sound of the Termis vs. the Staintunes or Keihan on the GT1000? I've had the Termignonis on my GT since new and I love the sound quality but sometimes I think they're a bit too loud. I've used a Garmin on long trips and even with an amplifier it's difficult to hear when I'm cruising at speed.

my buddy's dad has a GT with termis..very boomy and deep compared to the staintunes. Staintunes are more snappy.

#15 ·
Crooked termi pipes?

It has been a while since anyone has had anything to add. So today I purchased my set of termi's and will likely install them within the next week or 2. I have read about the issue with the right can not fitting properly. Has anyone come to any definite conclusions as to why this is happening, if it is all gt1000's or just a few? I seen a cream/black 07 gt1000 with the crooked can and it seems that as berlioz has said that the exhaust bracket is not symetrical with the left bracket. Can anyone confirm that that is the main problem. Cause my brackets and existing pipes look exactly the same (symmetrical).

Can anyone on the forum with termis reply if their's are perfectly symetrical or if theirs is crooked? Look forward to hearing some replys.

Thanks Guys and Gals.

#18 ·
Termi positioning

It has been a while since anyone has had anything to add. So today I purchased my set of termi's and will likely install them within the next week or 2. I have read about the issue with the right can not fitting properly. Has anyone come to any definite conclusions as to why this is happening, if it is all gt1000's or just a few? I seen a cream/black 07 gt1000 with the crooked can and it seems that as berlioz has said that the exhaust bracket is not symetrical with the left bracket. Can anyone confirm that that is the main problem. Cause my brackets and existing pipes look exactly the same (symmetrical).

Can anyone on the forum with termis reply if their's are perfectly symetrical or if theirs is crooked? Look forward to hearing some replys.

Thanks Guys and Gals.
I had my termis installed yesterday. And just as I expected, the right cans position seems to be further away from the tire than the left one. Not nearly as noticeable as some of the ones I have seen (rotated a bit counterclockwise and up an inch or so). They are brand new pipes on a 2009 GT1000, so it seems that it will be most likely on all GT1000's. The sound from the machine and noticeable power increase makes up for it big time. I can't get over the sound.... I also have the Dyno results...I'll start another thread and post them.

#16 ·
Heck, I've never never even looked at the symetry of my GT's stock mufflers, beyond noticing that they seem too wide for the bike. At least you can pull the rear wheel or adjust the chain without removing them. I'll have a look the next time I ride it, but I doubt that any asymetry is naked eye obvious, or I'd probably have noticed it by now!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.