Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

"Sissy bar"?

10K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  GTRossi 
#1 ·
Hi all, im new to street bikes and my first is a Ducati GT1000. My wife and I went to go look at bikes for a change (Craigs list wasn't going to convince her) and we ended up with the demo bike so it has a nice comfy seat and the upgraded exhaust at a slightly discounted price. My question is I guess is if anyone knows if there is a sissy bar or some type of back rest for a passenger? Not something I would keep on the bike but perhaps something that could be removed when I wanted to ride myself vs. me and her.. sorry about the wall of text im just very excited about this purchase and damn.. this bike is just friggin awesome. TY for any replies!

#9 ·
Hmm, I wonder if this means that they are going to come out with something for the Sport sometime soon. It would be nice to have some options.

#4 ·
#7 ·
Ventura system

Check out the Ventura luggage rack system. You can buy the ultra basic which gives you a grab rail, and there also rack and bag options. Very modular and very well-made. I can probably get some photos of mine posted this weekend. In the meantime, check out ventura-bike.com

The NA distributor is in Lynwood, WA, go see cycleventure.com

#8 ·
Nothing specific here but a tail trunk with a back pad mounted on a luggage rack is a popular option on other bikes. They are usually easily removed and the extra space may be appreciated by the wife. Check out Givi.

#10 ·
My wife is also quite uncomfortable on any bike without a backrest and Corbin doesn't offer a seat for the carb'ed 900ss bikes with the backrest receptacle option. (In our case we also have a Corbin saddle, but anyone who has ever spent more than about 30 minutes on a stock 900ss seat will know why.)

I ordered a Ventura rack and welded a section of short square tube to act as a backrest receptacle.

These pictures sort of show how it works, but as my bike is currently set up with the backrest I'll take a couple more shots this afternoon and post them.

Attachments

#11 ·
Here are the pictures of my Ventura Rack with the backrest receptacle modification.

Note: Ventura does not recommend using their product as a backrest and their liability lawyers would probably feint at my blatant disregard of their warnings. But on the other hand, the rack and mounting system is well-designed and very strong and I trust it and the modification I made to stand up to any reasonable loading.

Attachments

#12 ·
Nicely done. If you were really feeling cheeky, then you would have carefully removed the "Not to be used as a backrest" sticker and then re-applied it to your modified rack...

#13 ·
do NOT load up the ducati rear rack

i totally agree with the backrest mod for the ventura rack - but i would definitely not recommend loading the stock ducati chrome rack for the gt.

i had one and put a givi top box on it, never stored anything in it other than a spare helmet and a pair of sneakers. after about a month i noticed it was loose and when i took the seat off discovered that two of the 4 mounting tabs had snapped off at the welds :eek: :eek:

i don't even want to think of what could have happened if it had fallen off on the freeway - not to mention if i had a passenger leaning on it... so i don't have any faith in that unit. looks great and even looks very beefy but the mounting hardware is suspect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.