Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Lapping days on GT 1000

4K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  3-D 
#1 ·
I took my GT 1000 out to the local track on 4/22/07. For those in the midwest it was Hallett Motor speedway close to Tulsa, Oklahoma. I have not seen any postings of a track experience on the GT 1000. I would be interested in other points of view. Hallett is 1.8 miles long with 8 turns and is rated technically difficult.

This was my first track day so I have little to nothing to compare my experience to. I was interested to see what the bike could do and Oklahoma has few to no curves except for the cloverleaf exchanges on the interstate. So, I wanted to lean 'er over. I actually wanted to drag a knee but being such a novice I figured the only way my pucks would touch the road is if I fell off. My pucks remain pristine thank you.

The bike's performance surprised me both pleasantly and unpleasantly. The handling on curves was excellent. The traction at lean was fantastic. The torque was great on the curves saving me several times from being in too high a gear. I now have the back tire fully scrubbed in all the way to the edge. Breaking from speed 100 mph plus was smooth and efficient. The body position on the bike allowed easily for shifting from side to side to hang out. I did notice that the exhaust pipes could drag with a steep lean. I came very close to dragging. The sports bikes seemed to lean without this worry. The major problem with the GT came during the straightaways. The longer straight section is about 1/2 mile. The Japanese superbikes would hit 130 or 140 mph on this straight and blow by me as if I was standing still. Curves I would catch up and stay up, straights I would feel as if I was riding a 125cc. Today I went and looked at a GSXR 1000 Suzuki. I doubt I will give the GT up but I sure would like to have had the grunt that the Suzuki has on the straights.

The best thing about the day was the dozens of compliments that I got on the red GT. There was a professional photog there that got some great shots. When I get them loaded I will post them for your viewing pleasure.

So, question???? Has anyone dragged a knee yet on the GT. Anyone dragged a pipe?? If anyone else has a track experience, what did you think?

Stan

RED GT 1000

See less See more
#2 ·
I have a red GT as well. My first thought as I read your post was why would you want to go 140mph on the GT? No wind screen like the Jap bikes. It might be hard to control going that fast with all of the wind, etc. I think you need to decide what you want from your bike. Perhaps you should add a fast Jap bike to your collection.

#3 ·
mothra said:
I took my GT 1000 out to the local track ..... The bike's performance surprised me both pleasantly and unpleasantly ..... The major problem with the GT came during the straightaways .... The Japanese superbikes would hit 130 or 140 mph on this straight and blow by me as if I was standing still. Curves I would catch up and stay up....
You're a brave man, Stan, chapau :cool:

I must say, though, that what you call unpleasant surprises are that to you: surprises. Just looking at the spec-sheets, you know this is going to happen. Compared to the Japanese (super) bikes, a "few" pounds too heavy and a few ponies short. But that shouldn't be a problem, in my book. Don't you just feel great being able to catch those superbikes in the curves?

I have never taken my bikes to the track and out on rides with friends, I would always have the slowest and heaviest bike (R75/7 -> XLH883 -> R100R -> MH900e / Sport1000), yet would always keep up with -or even stay ahead of- them on the twisties. Now how :cool: is that? Of course they would dust me on the straights :eek:

A friend has a similar experience on 4 wheels. He takes his '91 Miata to the track and is able to hang / catch up with the big hp cars like Mustangs, Corvettes, even Porsches and Beemers, in the slower, curvier sections and then sees them disappear quickly on the faster, straighter sections.

You need to do some soul-searching and determine what type of rider you are and what you enjoy most. That determines the type of bike you should get. Of course, you can have both ...... in one bike (e.g. 749 / 999) or in multiple bikes (e.g. GT1000 / any of the J4 600's / 1000's).

I'm sure I'm not telling you anything new. But it doesn't hurt to hear that once again.

Enjoy your GT and if you get the Gixxer or something alike .... be careful: the world comes at you a lot faster on those bikes (personally, I'm not yet ready for them and doubt that I'll ever be :eek:)

RonB

#4 ·
EGGMAN said:
Perhaps you should add a fast Jap bike to your collection.
Or a desmoquatro Ducati.

One thing you learned is that the GT is just what it was designed to be: A great handling streetbike. The Ducati Superbikes are exactly what they were designed to be too. :)

-don

#7 ·
maybe a change up in gearing or a 520 chain with light sprockets would help you get to 130 faster. I know that a lighter chain and sprockets help you at higher speeds and if you change your gearing slightly, you will still be able to run it up to a buck thirty! I think that the handling aspect is awesome because it kind of makes our bikes the "underdogs" when it comes to stacking them up against 1000 cc 4 cylinder race bikes.

#8 ·
Last year I did a track day on my KTM 525 supermoto bike. I had it gear for maybe 115mph or so. Since I had a slow bike I rode in the C group. After a few sessions on the track, in the classroom the instructor asked the class " How many were getting spanked in the corners by the supermoto bike". Half the class raised their hands. To me not so much the the top speed, but the thrill of braking and cornering. I say as long as you are having fun, improving your skills, who cares if you don't have the fastest bike on the track. Once I break-in my Paul Smart, I'll be at the track having fun. Hell, one trackday there was a
Multistrada with hard bags and he was dragging his knee in the corners.

#13 ·
mothra said:
I took my GT 1000 out to the local track on 4/22/07. For those in the midwest it was Hallett Motor speedway close to Tulsa, Oklahoma. I have not seen any postings of a track experience on the GT 1000. I would be interested in other points of view. Hallett is 1.8 miles long with 8 turns and is rated technically difficult.
I knew I should have gone out to Hallett to spectate. :D

#14 ·
better than the circus

Strog said:
I knew I should have gone out to Hallett to spectate. :D

Come on out, or even better bring your GT 1000 and ride. I got an email from Hallett the other day that they had added another day in May for lapping, May 14, a Monday. I'll probably go to that one. They post the schedule on their web site. In early June is a Ducati Lapping Day. I talked to the OKC dealership and they are limiting participants to European produced bikes. Spell that "NO JAPANESE BIKES ALLOWED" :cool: I guess that means that for one day I won't have a Suzuki blowing by.

Thanks to all for the comments. Yes, I know the specs and know the power difference between the GT and the J bikes. But, it still is a surprise (shock) at the speed by which they pass. Imagine going 90 and being passed at 120. It feels the same as standing in the street and being passed from behind by a bike going 40 and brushing your elbow as they pass. A little spooky too.

I loved the comment about the rider with panniers dragging a knee. I suspect the rider is the greater factor. I do know that the GT is a street bike but it sure is sporty. Without the mirrors and all the plastic pieces taped rounding a sharp curve it sure looks like a beautiful sportsbike. I'll get some pictures up soon so you can see for yourselves.

Stan

#17 ·
More Pics

More pictures. Notice the cool new Ducati leathers. I'll have to be loyal to Ducati now. :)

Stan

Attachments

#19 ·
mothra said:

This was my first track day so I have little to nothing to compare my experience to. I was interested to see what the bike could do and Oklahoma has few to no curves except for the cloverleaf exchanges on the interstate. So, I wanted to lean 'er over. I actually wanted to drag a knee but being such a novice I figured the only way my pucks would touch the road is if I fell off. My pucks remain pristine thank you.

The bike's performance surprised me both pleasantly and unpleasantly. The handling on curves was excellent. The traction at lean was fantastic. The torque was great on the curves saving me several times from being in too high a gear. I now have the back tire fully scrubbed in all the way to the edge. Breaking from speed 100 mph plus was smooth and efficient. The body position on the bike allowed easily for shifting from side to side to hang out. I did notice that the exhaust pipes could drag with a steep lean. I came very close to dragging. The sports bikes seemed to lean without this worry. The major problem with the GT came during the straightaways. The longer straight section is about 1/2 mile. The Japanese superbikes would hit 130 or 140 mph on this straight and blow by me as if I was standing still. Curves I would catch up and stay up, straights I would feel as if I was riding a 125cc. Today I went and looked at a GSXR 1000 Suzuki. I doubt I will give the GT up but I sure would like to have had the grunt that the Suzuki has on the straights.

The best thing about the day was the dozens of compliments that I got on the red GT. There was a professional photog there that got some great shots. When I get them loaded I will post them for your viewing pleasure.

So, question???? Has anyone dragged a knee yet on the GT. Anyone dragged a pipe?? If anyone else has a track experience, what did you think?

Stan

RED GT 1000

If you're having trouble finding places to "lean it over," you need to head east about 120 miles -- plenty of curvey back roads in the Ozarks and Ouachitas and relatively light traffic.

I'm hoping to be at Hallet the end of this month for a Star riding school (Jason Pridmore) -- that is if I can get my Ohlins in time and on my Sport.

#20 ·
Looks like you were having a ball! So are you addicted now?

Hmm. Track days.

'Honest, it's so I can sharpen my skills and be a better rider on the street. Really. Oh, and I'll need some new leathers. And if I don't want to run the risk of dropping the Duc I'll need to get a track bike to use. It's really all safety equipment. No, really.'

Is there a special group for old phartes so we don't end up as berms for fast guys ten years younger than our kids? Kind of a BackMarkersAndFeebs class.

#21 ·
SpunkytheTuna said:
Is there a special group for old phartes so we don't end up as berms for fast guys ten years younger than our kids? Kind of a BackMarkersAndFeebs class.
Most track days are set up with either two or three groups. Group one is for those that are new to track riding or just less confident.

This group typically starts off playing follow the leader with an instructor at moderate speed just to learn the lines. Then, as the riders become more proficient and confident, they start going their own way but with very strict passing rules.

The more experienced groups have less rules and more freedom, but in a well run track day even they do not experience chaos.

Can be lots of fun and a great learning experience.

I've done 8 or 10. Never became "fast," but definitely improved my confidence and riding skills.

-don

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.