Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Aluminum Tail section

37K views 156 replies 45 participants last post by  mopgcw 
#1 ·
Prototype for aluminum seat is at the seat pad MFG to make a fiberglass based seat with closed cell foam.

Once prices come back for the seat pad we will be able to start taking deposits for the complete seat section.

-M

See less See more
#3 ·
Prototype for aluminum seat is at the seat pad MFG to make a fiberglass based seat with closed cell foam.

Once prices come back for the seat pad we will be able to start taking deposits for the complete seat section.

-M
Great news. That will look great with the aluminum tank. Although I may hold off for an aluminum cover that works on the stock seat..
Either way, I think I am going to have to set up automatic payroll deductions to go directly to Motowheels. :D

Thanks

#9 ·
Want to buy this aluminum tail section ??

Yep... that nice looking.
Agreed.

If anyone has a Diopa seat and would rather have this aluminum tail section I will buy your Diopa seat at a fair price - please PM me with info and particulars. My painter is ready and I've delayed ordering from Diopa too long - this offer will be good only for a week - at the most.

Just thinking we'd both get what we really want.

Just PM me, don't clog up this thread with questions.

David
Seattle

#8 ·
+1 for stock seat cover.......... I'll wait.

But this does look well done. I might even give a wack at forming my own stocker. Got a few months before the tank makes it in........ Keep up the good work there guys! Proving your self over and over with good products!

#10 · (Edited)
Got some news today on the seat pads...

The seat pads for these diopa/cafe seats are going to be very nice. They are made by the MFG of Ducati comfort seats--so this won't be just a race pad with no ergos. They are going to made more comfortable than the OEM seat.

They are making them with lighweight fiberglass bases (like a sargent seat) in a two piece design so you can see the tail section between the seat and rump rest- just like the original 750SS/900SS.
They are trying to give easy access to the space in the hump as well.

They are also looking at trying to make the cafe tail section compatible with the GT1000 tank (both stock and aluminum) by adding an optional piece to fill in the gap.

I'll have pictures and prices soon.

-M

#11 ·
Got some news today on the seat pads...

The seat pads for these diopa/cafe seats are going to be very nice. They are made by the MFG of Ducati comfort seats--so this won't be just a race pad with no ergos. They are going to make more comfortable than the OEM seat.

They are making them with lighweight fiberglass bases (like a sargent seat) in a two piece design so you can see the tail section between the seat and rump rest- just like the original 750SS/900SS.
They are trying to give easy access to the space in the hump as well.

They are also looking at trying to make the cafe tail section compatible with the GT1000 tank (both stock and aluminum) by adding an optional piece to fill in the gap.

I'll have pictures and prices soon.

-M
+1 on the GT tank version/compatibility option :)

Tmnstr

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

#26 ·
JC - I would imagine a Fleda for this set-up would not be too much different from what you already make for the seats you sell, or the Diopa seat (which this alloy seat looks to replicate in shape).

#27 · (Edited)
Seat deposits for the group buy

DEPOSIT ONLY: Ducati Sport Classic Aluminum Tail and Seat

Please let us know which seat configuration you want. We are planning to go ahead with the mono configuration unless there is demand for the two piece as we have to make molds for the seat bases.

The group buy deposit must be in by December 31st to qualify for the group buy price.
After Decemebr 31, the tail/seat will retail for $1295.

The tails will be ready to ship as early as the first week of December. We are currently waiting for the seats to be completed.

-M

#29 ·
The mono pad seat is beautiful but I think the two piece seat looks more "appropriate" for the overall style of our bikes and makes the tail more visually important since it doesn't have to compete with the one large pad. I'm already down for the tank but I would lean toward the two pad version tail if and when I decide to pull the trigger on that.

#31 · (Edited)
I like the two piece better as well - but because of the tooling costs, they want 30 of each seat base made. It less expensive to make one type--because of the tooling costs.

Or the minority group can share the cost of the tooling cost on the least popular seat. Up to you guys. I'll make it happen either way.

I can set it up the seat types as an option on our website. That way the ones that are buying will be making the choice.

-M

#32 ·
Deposit made (last week) on a S1K tank. Would be interested in a seat/tail, if it matched the Terblanche design. Any thought in producing that style?

#33 ·
Deposit made (last week) on a S1K tank. Would be interested in a seat/tail, if it matched the Terblanche design. Any thought in producing that style?

The OEM seat cowl is on the drawing board.
However the mounts are complicated. We would need to get 30 buyers lined up for those. Cost would be about $695 per unit in a group buy.
I will probably have to start a new thread to take a poll on how many are interested - and then start taking deposits for them.

-M

#34 ·
Single Seat Tail - deposit made

Thanks again for this, deposit placed for the Tail w/single seat pad (Deposit also placed a few weeks ago for the tank included a delayed shipping request)

Will need shipping direct to Melbourne Australia when we are ready to have that discussion. I'm also looking at some other parts from the Moto site as well, am I correct in assuming the seat and tank wont go via the US anyway?

Really looking forward to this!

Cheers - Andrew (Las)

#36 ·
Thanks again for this, deposit placed for the Tail w/single seat pad (Deposit also placed a few weeks ago for the tank included a delayed shipping request)

Will need shipping direct to Melbourne Australia when we are ready to have that discussion. I'm also looking at some other parts from the Moto site as well, am I correct in assuming the seat and tank wont go via the US anyway?

Really looking forward to this!

Cheers - Andrew (Las)
Thanks for the support Andrew.
The seat and tank will ship directly from Italy to save shipping costs.

We have some international shipping coupon codes for your items that need to be shipped from the USA. Enter these on to the order form:

use shipping passwords:
GLOBAL250 gets 25% off shipping on orders over $250

GLOBAL500 gets 50% off shipping on orders over $500
GLOBAL750 gets 75% off shipping on orders over $750
-M

#37 ·
The OEM seat has a bunch of work that must be done by another company, plus we have to cover all the tooling as well as sacrifice a seat cowl for the mold.

Most of the tooling was in place for the full tail and everything but the seat pad was done in house.

-M

#41 ·
- Thanks Sigmann, good pick up.

- Brian, just confirming the new Alu tail will need an OEM seat base to fit the sub-frame mounts? Is this something that is easily removed/reversed? Apologies I haven't had a good look at the seat mount configuration, will do this tomorrow.

#42 ·
- Thanks Sigmann, good pick up.

- Brian, just confirming the new Alu tail will need an OEM seat base to fit the sub-frame mounts? Is this something that is easily removed/reversed? Apologies I haven't had a good look at the seat mount configuration, will do this tomorrow.
The OEM style seat cowl will require the OEM seat base/ seat pad. I willhave pictuires this week of the aluminum OEM seat cowl.

The cafe/diopa style tail section with new seat pads replaces the OEM seat base and seat pad. It will mount and remove just liek the OEM tail section.

-M

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.