Bike Backed Into - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Sport Classic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 3:45 pm   #1 (permalink)

Bike Backed Into

A couple weeks ago I had parked my bike on the street. I met with some friends and when I returned I discovered someone had backed into it. She did left a note and number.

She said that there was only a scratch on one of the mirrors. Hah! She knocked it clean over and mashed it.

Anyway, just got the estimate...$4,300.00 in damage (pretty expensive scratch). No biggy in that her insurance is covering all of it.

I did note that the stock cans are listed at a whopping $1,000 each. Holy sh*t! She also scratched the rear cowl which is about $500.

Can I tell the shop to not change the cowl & cans and just take the difference and buy a good aftermarket exhaust with it?
1969 VW Transporter 'Slayer Hippie'
Advertisement

Old Apr 4th, 2012, 4:16 pm   #2 (permalink)

If you can get the insurance company to put your name on the check then you're good to go. I scored once by telling them I was going to do the work and they paid me for labor + parts!

If they put the shop's name on the check, you're probably screwed. I don't think any shop will want to give you money... Maybe you could "rebate" 10% of the difference to their service writer...
Riderjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 4:19 pm   #3 (permalink)

Wow that sucks that it got back into, but amazing someone actually left a note, she is one in a million. Just ask the guys at the shop about how you want the money spent, I bet you can get exhaust this way (maybe some other stuff too). I know I've heard of shops taking the repair money, and then suggesting some work that isn't completely necessary to the owner, which they can skip then and use that cost to cover the deductible, so there is no out of pocket expense for the owner if they are at fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magista View Post
A couple weeks ago I had parked my bike on the street. I met with some friends and when I returned I discovered someone had backed into it. She did left a note and number.

She said that there was only a scratch on one of the mirrors. Hah! She knocked it clean over and mashed it.

Anyway, just got the estimate...$4,300.00 in damage (pretty expensive scratch). No biggy in that her insurance is covering all of it.

I did note that the stock cans are listed at a whopping $1,000 each. Holy sh*t! She also scratched the rear cowl which is about $500.

Can I tell the shop to not change the cowl & cans and just take the difference and buy a good aftermarket exhaust with it?
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 6:12 pm   #4 (permalink)

It's in my name so sounds like it'll be doable. I'll talk to them today.

I was lucky she left a note and was insured. The whole thing has been pretty painless.

Whatever way it works out I'm just happy it will be fixed.
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 6:32 pm   #5 (permalink)

Meh, no go. It's a two party check. They have to do it as prescribed. That's fine. At least I'll have my back back in proper shape. For that I'm grateful.

Someday I'll get fancy new pipes.
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 6:38 pm   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by magista View Post
Meh, no go. It's a two party check. They have to do it as prescribed. That's fine. At least I'll have my back back in proper shape. For that I'm grateful.

Someday I'll get fancy new pipes.
Been down this road before. The 2 party check acts as a guarantee of sorts to the lien holder that you don't just cash they check then ditch out on your obligation to make payments. In any event, as long as the shop gets paid, they shouldn't care how you spend the money...

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
nfwb11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 6:40 pm   #7 (permalink)

Sounds like a typical Oregon driver (not knowing how to back up). She prolly left a note because there were witnesses. Glad it's a painless resolution
2006 Ducati Sport Classic 1000 monoposto(click me) |2013 Diavel Strada Ti | '72 VW Squareback, 2007cc, GB 5-speed, rag top | '76 VW Riviera Sundowner 2.0L, family camper | '95 VW Jetta GL 2.0L, Close-ratio tranny, LSD, modified engine
Air_Cooled_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 6:51 pm   #8 (permalink)

There were definitely witnesses. She did not lift the bike back up herself. I have the feeling she was pretty young as well.

What is funny is I made a point of giving the car extra room when I parked behind it. It wasn't like it was butted right up to the bumper. There was a good 4 or 5 feet of clearance.
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 6:58 pm   #9 (permalink)

Having witnessed a few cars parallel park in NW using only their bumpers I try to park out in BFE or on the side walk. Yeah, yeah, we're not supposed to do that but I keep her out of the path of the walkers (luckily I don't have to deal w/downtown any more). People just don't care, to them, the world revolves around them.
2006 Ducati Sport Classic 1000 monoposto(click me) |2013 Diavel Strada Ti | '72 VW Squareback, 2007cc, GB 5-speed, rag top | '76 VW Riviera Sundowner 2.0L, family camper | '95 VW Jetta GL 2.0L, Close-ratio tranny, LSD, modified engine
Air_Cooled_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 8:10 pm   #10 (permalink)

This just happened to me two weeks ago. The lady's insurance (Geico) wrote me a check for parts + labor totaling >4600. I cashed the check and ordered a few parts that I needed to replace. Net gain was ~2500 dollars and a few scratchs on tailpiece/tank/seat cover/windscreen/clutch lever. Had to replace the fairing and fairing stay since they were broken in half. Going to do my best to repair windscreen and tank and am considering leaving the tailpiece slightly scratched.

Also my shop was very helpful and even said they would help me out getting the best deal I could!
atoratog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement