TPS Reset - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Sport Classic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Mar 24th, 2012, 8:43 pm   #1 (permalink)

TPS Reset

I've read in a lot of posts about getting a VDST (sp?) in order to do a TPS reset, but I've also seen stuff where people are cycling the ignition 5 times, or 3 times to reset something. I have a 2006 Sport 1000 and need to reset the TPS, do I need to have the dealer do it? I want to get the Motowheels Rexxer reflash, but Duc Pond will do everything, send the ecu to gotham cycles, then install it and make sure everything is good from somewhere around 400. Maybe I'll go that route.
KTOGUN is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 24th, 2012, 9:04 pm   #2 (permalink)
Retired Pipe Polisher

No matter who flashes your ECU, after you install it on your bike you need to reset the TPS to match your bike. VDST can do it. You can honk the horn three times, toggle the ignition five times, stand on your head and spit at the moon but you still need to have the proper equipment to reset the TPS.
Old Mar 25th, 2012, 9:04 am   #3 (permalink)

So pay the dealer to reset it? Roger that. Shouldn't take but 10 minutes to do.
KTOGUN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2012, 10:33 am   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTOGUN View Post
Find out how they do it and report back. I'd like to know more details.
2006 Ducati Sport Classic 1000 monoposto(click me) |2013 Diavel Strada Ti | '72 VW Squareback, 2007cc, GB 5-speed, rag top | '76 VW Riviera Sundowner 2.0L, family camper | '95 VW Jetta GL 2.0L, Close-ratio tranny, LSD, modified engine
Air_Cooled_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2012, 2:28 pm   #5 (permalink)
Official Sponsor

If you flash the ECU
I would have them do the TPS.
and it would be good to have the Air/Fuel, and co2 checked
A basic tune up
Takes abut 1 hr shop time

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTOGUN View Post

jc@jcpakbikes.com
JCPAKBIKES
FACEBOOK
sportclassicspecialties.com
FLEDA TRON LEGACY
ALPINA WHEELS USA
AELLA CASUNO / NCR / DISCACCIATI / CARBON DRY / BITUBO
JCPakBikes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2012, 4:17 pm   #6 (permalink)

Reporting back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air_Cooled_Nut View Post
Find out how they do it and report back. I'd like to know more details.
Aye Aye Skipper, here's my report. VDST software from TechnoResearch is now called Centurion-S and sells for $230 Yankee Greenbacks. This gives you a software application (Windows only) and a cable to interface with your bike. The application is copy protected thru the dongle built into the cable.

I am not a peddler for this product, just a happy user. In short, when you change an ECU, which was my case, the replacement ECU needs to know the exact resistance value in the TPS.

My application was on a Brutale 1090RR after I bought the OEM titanium exhaust with shorty Arrow muffler which included a race ECU. Things might be a bit different on a Duc (I have a Paul Smart) but have not needed to use VDST on the Duc.

Please note, because I live on an island in Puget Sound, taking the Brutale to the nearest dealer would have been two round trips on a ferry and consumed about 10 hours of travel time. Buying the VDST for one simple install of the ECU made sense to me. I have not used the software since.

Upon hooking up the interface cable, launching VDST, and turning on the bike's ignition, VDST read the ECU and then "knew" the throttle shaft angle on my Brutale was equal to 2.4 degrees when the throttle was closed and resting on the idle stop screw(s). However, since all bikes have a very slight variations in potentiometers and and very slight differences in the exact throttle shaft angle at idle, the exact resistance value in ohms varies from bike to bike. Upon moving the throttle, VDST would display the changes in the throttle angle. When closed, VDST always showed the 2.4 degree value.

To set the TPS, I was instructed to click on a screwdriver icon; VDST went and read the TPS resistance and stored it in the ECU.

To simplify the air/fuel calculations, VDST simply reads the exact TPS resistance value and reports that to the ECU and the ECU now uses that value as the zero point for a closed throttle.

If you have an multi gas analyzer, you can use VDST for far more than simply setting the zero point on the TPS. I do not have the tools or training to fiddle with A/F mapping or tweaking the ECU and unless you have a unique need as I did, I strongly suggest you take the bike to qualified mechanic to set your TPS.

Ciao,
Dick
racasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2012, 11:04 pm   #7 (permalink)

racasey,
THANK YOU! I do have the VDST (got a decent deal on a gently used one) and though I've read values I haven't actually fiddled with any settings because I know I'm not qualified (but would like to be ). I know it can be used to read engine error codes and reset some other things. I know it can be used on any FI (fuel injected) set up that uses the same FI so, in my case, I know that mine can read ALL Sport Classic bikes since they all use the same FI. I can use it on any other bike that uses the same FI.

I was just very curious how this 'magical' TPS reset procedure went. Everyone talks about it but didn't know how to do it. What you said makes perfect sense to me (I'm a computer programmer) but I know sometimes "logical' isn't always used or others have a different sense of "logical"

Thanks again!
2006 Ducati Sport Classic 1000 monoposto(click me) |2013 Diavel Strada Ti | '72 VW Squareback, 2007cc, GB 5-speed, rag top | '76 VW Riviera Sundowner 2.0L, family camper | '95 VW Jetta GL 2.0L, Close-ratio tranny, LSD, modified engine
Old Mar 26th, 2012, 10:55 am   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racasey View Post
Aye Aye Skipper, here's my report. VDST software from TechnoResearch is now called Centurion-S and sells for $230 Yankee Greenbacks. This gives you a software application (Windows only) and a cable to interface with your bike. The application is copy protected thru the dongle built into the cable.

I am not a peddler for this product, just a happy user. In short, when you change an ECU, which was my case, the replacement ECU needs to know the exact resistance value in the TPS.

My application was on a Brutale 1090RR after I bought the OEM titanium exhaust with shorty Arrow muffler which included a race ECU. Things might be a bit different on a Duc (I have a Paul Smart) but have not needed to use VDST on the Duc.

Please note, because I live on an island in Puget Sound, taking the Brutale to the nearest dealer would have been two round trips on a ferry and consumed about 10 hours of travel time. Buying the VDST for one simple install of the ECU made sense to me. I have not used the software since.

Upon hooking up the interface cable, launching VDST, and turning on the bike's ignition, VDST read the ECU and then "knew" the throttle shaft angle on my Brutale was equal to 2.4 degrees when the throttle was closed and resting on the idle stop screw(s). However, since all bikes have a very slight variations in potentiometers and and very slight differences in the exact throttle shaft angle at idle, the exact resistance value in ohms varies from bike to bike. Upon moving the throttle, VDST would display the changes in the throttle angle. When closed, VDST always showed the 2.4 degree value.

To set the TPS, I was instructed to click on a screwdriver icon; VDST went and read the TPS resistance and stored it in the ECU.

To simplify the air/fuel calculations, VDST simply reads the exact TPS resistance value and reports that to the ECU and the ECU now uses that value as the zero point for a closed throttle.

If you have an multi gas analyzer, you can use VDST for far more than simply setting the zero point on the TPS. I do not have the tools or training to fiddle with A/F mapping or tweaking the ECU and unless you have a unique need as I did, I strongly suggest you take the bike to qualified mechanic to set your TPS.

Ciao,
Dick
Very cool! thank you for sharing... I was wondering if this was something that I could pick up and do myself, but it sounds like something I should leave to the folks who do it often.
Old Mar 26th, 2012, 1:34 pm   #9 (permalink)
Ducati.MS sponsor

I've reflashed several of my own bikes multiple times with out resetting the TPS.

-M

05 999R
01 996R
98 900SS FE
96 M944
07 1098
06 SC1000
10 Streetfighter
02 MV Agusta F4
02 ST4S
12 1199S
06 Paul Smart
moto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 8:56 pm   #10 (permalink)

Pulled out my VDST and reset the TPS.
Original settings: 3.1 to 83.6
New settings: 3.2 to 83.6
So really not much of a change. I did notice with the bike running the TPS reading dropped down to 3.0. That makes sense due to engine vacuum.

While I was there fiddlin' with stuff I changed my idle fuel trim from -15 to -12 (moved to a more rich condition). Seeing if this will help with the lean back-firing I get on decel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement