Sport1000 OEM Clipons (tall) Bolt stripped - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Motorcycle Forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Sport Classic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 10:19 pm   #11 (permalink)

Thanks JC,

Any more info on the helicoil or twinserta approach would be much appreciated

Tmnstr

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
Tmnstr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 12th, 2012, 10:57 pm   #12 (permalink)
Official Sponsor

I always like Helicoil
BUT you are in a tight spot as the clipons block the hole you need access to
Google or Bing
thread inserts for aluminum
and this should help you with making the right decision
or
If you have a machine shop or welder in your area that likes to work on MC parts they can help hands on for you. This could be a better solution as they may have something better, simpler and cheaper for your particular dilemma

JC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmnstr View Post
Thanks JC,

Any more info on the helicoil or twinserta approach would be much appreciated

Tmnstr

jc@jcpakbikes.com
JCPAKBIKES
FACEBOOK
sportclassicspecialties.com
FLEDA TRON LEGACY
ALPINA WHEELS USA
AELLA CASUNO / NCR / DISCACCIATI / CARBON DRY / BITUBO
JCPakBikes is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 11:03 pm   #13 (permalink)

Thanks again JC

I will look into the options locally and let you know the course I end up traveling.

Cheers,

Tmnstr

Old Mar 12th, 2012, 11:14 pm   #14 (permalink)

I always felt like the torque spec was too high on those risers. I always used a torque wrench, but would chicken out every time before it clicked - it just seemed like too much for that screw.

Anyway, this really doesn't seem like a big problem. I'll bet you could even just drill and tap it for a screw one size larger. Do both sides if you are anal....

But I would definitely try the thread insert first. If it holds torque, it is fine! And if you screw it up, it is only a $200 mistake. Chicken feed in the world of Ducati ownership.

2006 Sport 1000 Race Bike, SOAR novice #282. Yellow, cannister-ectomy (duh...), 14 / 41 gearing, DP ECU, Arrow 2-1 full system, Traxxion Dynamics fork springs and AK-20 cartridges, Penske 8983 rear shock, Motovation frame sliders, RhinoMoto axle sliders and bar sliders, Wasp PUK, Wasp TMSD, XT Ultra Lap timer, ugly 3-spoke Brembo wheels, Brembo 4p / 4p calipers with Spiegler lines, Bridgestone V01-R slicks, Bickle tire warmers, Airtech track fairing with Endurance Engineering stay and Gustaffson windscreen, TechSpec Tank Pads, Shorei LiFePo 14 battery, DP slipper clutch, Woodcraft sprocket and brake lever guards, Catalyst Composites bellypan, LSL footpegs.....
YellowDuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 4:33 pm   #15 (permalink)

Update: picked up a helicoil kit and fixed the clipon handlebar threads (inside bolt threads). Still a little skeptical, though, because I could only torque the left-hand clipon bolts to 19-20NM (not up to the factory 24NM). Everything seems solid but I'm wondering if I should be concerned that they wouldn't torque to spec?

Tmnstr

Old Mar 13th, 2012, 5:38 pm   #16 (permalink)
Official Sponsor

Put a little anti seize or Teflon grease on the threads

Make sure you tighten in alternate increments

If it does not move your OK

Good job. Pat yourself on the back and have a beverage of your choice

Quote:
Update: picked up a helicoil kit and fixed the clipon handlebar threads (inside bolt threads). Still a little skeptical, though, because I could only torque the left-hand clipon bolts to 19-20NM (not up to the factory 24NM). Everything seems solid but I'm wondering if I should be concerned that they wouldn't torque to spec?

Tmnstr

jc@jcpakbikes.com
JCPAKBIKES
FACEBOOK
sportclassicspecialties.com
FLEDA TRON LEGACY
ALPINA WHEELS USA
AELLA CASUNO / NCR / DISCACCIATI / CARBON DRY / BITUBO
JCPakBikes is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 5:52 pm   #17 (permalink)

Thanks JC

I used moly-based assembly lube per the factory recommendation. Strange thing though, the factory bolts are prone to bending/breaking, so I swapped them for some SS bolts (same size/pitch). When I tried torqueing the new SS bolts I noticed tiny slivers of aluminum peeling off the clipons where they contact the bolt. And, of course, I had one of the threads strip out completely, hence the helicoil repair. It seems like the factory bolts/clipon design should be better engineered for such an important "performance" part. Oh well. I guess that's why Speedymoto, and others, are able to make a living selling better versions

Tmnstr

Old Mar 13th, 2012, 6:14 pm   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks JC

I used moly-based assembly lube per the factory recommendation. Strange thing though, the factory bolts are prone to bending/breaking, so I swapped them for some SS bolts (same size/pitch). When I tried torqueing the new SS bolts I noticed tiny slivers of aluminum peeling off the clipons where they contact the bolt. And, of course, I had one of the threads strip out completely, hence the helicoil repair. It seems like the factory bolts/clipon design should be better engineered for such an important "performance" part. Oh well. I guess that's why Speedymoto, and others, are able to make a living selling better versions

Tmnstr

I believe torque ratings are specific to the materials of both the fastener and the piece being fastened, so if you were to change the bolts to stainless, but the OEM were a softer metal, then the manufacturer's torque would go out the window (and could explain why you ended up stripping them). I could be talking out of my ass here though.
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 6:39 pm   #19 (permalink)

I was thinking the same thing. That's why I'm hoping the slightly lower torque setting will be ok.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.