From Chrome to Black - Coupla Qs - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 2011, 8:03 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
LondonDutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: London, , UK
Posts: 1,625
From Chrome to Black - Coupla Qs

I plan to change my headlight surround to black, and my clocks too.

With the headlight, I'm assuming it's chromed metal (not plastic) and I can get it powdercoated? Can anyone confirm this, and also, not having disassembled a light like this since I ruined the wiring on my old Hornet - how do you remove the rim?

On the clocks, I saw on another thread (thanks Weeksy) that the chrome surrounds can be completely removed by bending a small tab on one side of each surround, and pulling. Weeksy posted a link to a pic that showed how it looks underneath, but it wasn't on mounted clocks, just the fascia, so my question is; has anyone just pulled these off and left them off, and does it look ok, or are there any ugly grooves or exposed bits? Alternatively, I could also get these powdercoated.

Thanks.
LondonDutch is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 2011, 9:39 am
Senior Member
 
poolagent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Munich, Bavaria, Germany
Posts: 2,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonDutch View Post
I plan to change my headlight surround to black, and my clocks too.

With the headlight, I'm assuming it's chromed metal (not plastic) and I can get it powdercoated? Can anyone confirm this, and also, not having disassembled a light like this since I ruined the wiring on my old Hornet - how do you remove the rim?

On the clocks, I saw on another thread (thanks Weeksy) that the chrome surrounds can be completely removed by bending a small tab on one side of each surround, and pulling. Weeksy posted a link to a pic that showed how it looks underneath, but it wasn't on mounted clocks, just the fascia, so my question is; has anyone just pulled these off and left them off, and does it look ok, or are there any ugly grooves or exposed bits? Alternatively, I could also get these powdercoated.

Thanks.
De-blinging the dashboard

De-blinging the fuel cap


And yes you can have the ring powder coated… it is easy to disassemble

2007 SC Biposto
poolagent is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 2011, 9:52 am
Senior Member
 
Monstyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Rain Factory, Ayrshire, Scotland
Posts: 545
I did the headlight on my monster and its a fairly easy job.
Theres a little screw at the bottom of the ring if I remember correctly,try not to lose it and, take a photo of which way the internal springs that hold it in place go as that was a headache for me on re-assembly.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can't tell whether or not they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln
Monstyr is offline  
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 2011, 12:13 pm
Senior Member
 
GiaGT1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Florence, Tuscany, Italy
Posts: 200
Note: take care disassembling the dashboard ...headlight is very easy to do

Gia'

2008 Ducati Sport1000S
2006 Ducati GT 1000
2005 Triumph Bonneville
1974 Vespa 50
GiaGT1000 is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 2011, 12:36 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Newbury UK, Berks, UK
Posts: 459
instead of PCing the clocks, buy a broken set of monster ones.

Better still, buy my clocks and have 2 sets to play with
weeksy is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 2011, 3:58 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
LondonDutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: London, , UK
Posts: 1,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by weeksy View Post
instead of PCing the clocks, buy a broken set of monster ones.

Better still, buy my clocks and have 2 sets to play with
Well I suppose you do need to fund your transitionary-bike. LOL... But first I'll fiddle with my own clocks, as it's free.
LondonDutch is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 2011, 4:05 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
LondonDutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: London, , UK
Posts: 1,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstyr View Post
I did the headlight on my monster and its a fairly easy job.
Theres a little screw at the bottom of the ring if I remember correctly,try not to lose it and, take a photo of which way the internal springs that hold it in place go as that was a headache for me on re-assembly.
Thanks dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolagent View Post
De-blinging the dashboard

De-blinging the fuel cap


And yes you can have the ring powder coated… it is easy to disassemble
Very useful threads - thanks fella. But you mentioned taking the clocks apart to get the rings off, whereas some others have said you can just pull them off...

What do you think?

Last edited by LondonDutch; Jun 20th, 2011 at 4:11 pm.
LondonDutch is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 2011, 5:14 pm
Senior Member
 
poolagent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Munich, Bavaria, Germany
Posts: 2,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonDutch View Post
Thanks dude.



Very useful threads - thanks fella. But you mentioned taking the clocks apart to get the rings off, whereas some others have said you can just pull them off...

What do you think?
Yu have to dismount them cause otherwise the plastic gets heavily scratched…
i've tried it on several units

2007 SC Biposto
poolagent is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chrome 796 stuntrider7x HyperMotard 9 Mar 16th, 2011 8:44 am
Trade SportClassic black wheels for GT1000 Chrome? klimb Sport Classic 4 May 3rd, 2010 10:13 pm
Re-chrome or not to re-chrome Rockers cornerhungry Superbikes 9 Sep 7th, 2009 5:41 pm
Cool / Cold Ride With A Coupla Pics And A Train Monstaman HyperMotard 10 Oct 1st, 2008 1:09 am
airbox mod, coupla photos yota HyperMotard 14 Dec 17th, 2007 3:11 pm

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome