Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Just got a GT1000, need side panniers suggestions!

19K views 39 replies 16 participants last post by  belteshazzar 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

Need your help on what options there are and what options have been tried.

Originally wanted to get the hepco & becker junior 30L but after dropping by the local dealer, i realized they were very cramped and only the 40L were able to fit a helmet but they felt a tad too wide.

My criteria is as slim as possible yet able to fit a open face helmet due to 90% city riding in singapore.

I did some googling and the next option seems to be the GIVI 34L Monokey side cases. They look just nice in the dimensions and can definately fit a helmet.

Anyone have these? :)

#4 ·
#5 ·
Uh no..the top box will fulfill my needs but not the looks :p

What other manufacturers for side panniers are there beside GIVI, H&B, Touratech, Nonfango ?

Looks like i not having any luck...GIVI has not replied if they have the rack mounts for the gt1000. :(

#9 ·
Moto International here in Seattle is where I got my mounts and they do *a lot* of on-line biz. Just search for them and you'll find them. While they did not "stock" parts for our GT (i.e. they are a Moto Guzzi and Aprilia dealer), they could get *any* H&B mounts and bags/trunk in pretty short order, typically 7-10 days.

Happy Shopping :D

#11 ·
Now I'm not one to say Fuji's steering you wrong :) but I'm hard pressed to believe anyone can get HB GT mounts in less than 4-6 weeks. Maybe that was true back in the day but I think they might now be more scarce as the 2-3 folks (including myself) I know recently waited weeks to get the mounts in and we ordered them directly from the US distributor of HB stuff, Eurotech Motorsports.
Eurotech Motorsports Home

If you're going to get HBs, you might as well cut out the middle man and go directly to Eurotech and order them. While places like Moto International can order HB things, they still have to go through Eurotech to do it and Euro will tell you straight up about the GT mounts, expect to wait at least 2-4 weeks, likely longer. But aside from this small disagreement with Fuji, I give the guy much cred as his HB's were what convinced me to get mine. I had some on previous Moto Guzzis I owned and they just can't be beat. Unlike most folks, however, I went ahead and got the 40s and yeah, while they do make Betts look like a bit of a fatass, I wouldn't trade any of that space for the world as I tend to use every bit of it. I can't say enough great things about HB boxes. For me, they are just about the best.

#12 ·
Now I'm not one to say Fuji's steering you wrong :) but I'm hard pressed to believe anyone can get HB GT mounts in less than 4-6 weeks. Maybe that was true back in the day but I think they might now be more scarce as the 2-3 folks (including myself) I know recently waited weeks to get the mounts in and we ordered them directly from the US distributor of HB stuff, Eurotech Motorsports.
Eurotech Motorsports Home
My bad. The timeline to get the side mounts and bags was indeed 10-12 weeks (maybe longer) as they were just being produced for the GT. However, as I ended up so happy with the side bags, I decided then to order the rack and trunk and expected to wait 4-6 weeks. But lo and behold, it took less than 3 weeks total to which I was happily stunned :D. I made the assumption that the side mounts and bags were/are now as readily available.

No worries for BP and I since we have ours and are all set :).

#13 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions.

The H&B juniors do seem the perfect solution, though if they had a 35L version that would be sweet.

I find the 40s abit too wide. Something slightly flatter and taller would be perfect for me.

BP, is the width of the bike with the 40L Juniors more than 1m wide?

#14 · (Edited)
Heh, spy, you made me have to go and look up the conversions chart as I forgot how many inches in a meter (39.3) :D When I measure my boxes from the outer edge of one box to the other, it is roughly 36 and a half; thus, it is less than a meter.

It really comes down to balancing what you need and what you want. I won't deny the 30s look better, slimmer and more in line with the narrow profile of the bike. Fuji's setup here, very sharp http://www.ducati.ms/forums/77-sport-classic/59471-gt1000-bagger-3.html

But having said this, I wouldn't give up my extra cargo area. Nor have I ever even once looked at my own bike and wished they were smaller. If you are, however, the kind of rider who doesn't carry a great deal everyday (unfortunately, I do), then the 30s would probably do ya. The fact that you are already leaning towards the 30s in terms of aesthetics, makes me believe you'd likely be more happy with them. If I were you I'd get the 30s and maybe get a 40 or larger top box to use when traveling or needing extra storage. Keep in mind, however, that if you are going to get a top box, you'll have to buy both the HB top box rack and the HB saddlebag racks.

#15 ·
If you are, however, the kind of rider who doesn't carry a great deal everyday (unfortunately, I do), then the 30s would probably do ya. The fact that you are already leaning towards the 30s in terms of aesthetics, makes me believe you'd likely be more happy with them. If I were you I'd get the 30s and maybe get a 40 or larger top box to use when traveling or needing extra storage. Keep in mind, however, that if you are going to get a top box, you'll have to buy both the HB top box rack and the HB saddlebag racks.
Commuting on the GT, I typically go with the trunk only. Carries the briefcase with laptop no problemo. The bags go on when I have a bigger load (i.e. like classroom materials and lunch for an MSF class :D).

My initial worry with the 40L topbox was that it would be just too big (considering the BMW trunk is 33L) but it looks just fine IMO (i.e. I think it looks bigger in the pics vs. in person).

#28 ·
GT1000 panniers and bags for sale on Facebook

PSA: Just letting my fellow SC riders know that two people on Facebook are selling their GT 1000 panniers and other related assortments:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/28326786752/?fref=nf

I do not know either FB posters and make no claim of guarantee. I just know that these are no longer commercially available although JC has come up with his own solutions for both rack, panniers, and tank bag.

#31 ·
The MackBagger can be used as a single or dual mount
You can use virtually any bag with the mounting klick Fix adapter

GT single pannier mode
PSA: Just letting my fellow SC riders know that two people on Facebook are selling their GT 1000 panniers and other related assortments:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/28326786752/?fref=nf

I do not know either FB posters and make no claim of guarantee. I just know that these are no longer commercially available although JC has come up with his own solutions for both rack, panniers, and tank bag.

#32 · (Edited)
A new option from SW-Motech

Legend Series saddlebag 13.5liter

Nice classic look

They make two versions. One has a quick release system and comes with a frame for the Scrambler and some other models (but not the GT)
The other uses an over the seat mounting.

I'm looking at the basic bag without mounts. I would then attach the klickfix quick release mounts from my DP saddlebags and use the DP pannier frames.

Advantage over the DP bags are they're waterproof and an easier shape to pack

Vid

Attachments

#33 ·
Legend Series saddlebag 13.5liter

Nice classic look

They make two versions. One has a quick release system and comes with a frame for the Scrambler and some other models (but not the GT)
The other uses an over the seat mounting.

I'm looking at the basic bag without mounts. I would then attach the klickfix quick release mounts from my DP saddlebags and use the DP pannier frames.

Advantage over the DP bags are they're waterproof and an easier shape to pack

Vid
Arrived in the mail today, plus some new Klickfix lockable mounts from Amazon....

Attachments

#34 ·
Bill1960- Those look good! Seem really practical too. I see Revzilla carries the SW-Motech Legend series.
That's awesome you found the Klickfix on Amazon! Funny, I had been looking for them before, and there they are, right on Amazon.. Ha! I see the listing KlickFix Mount, and maybe I'm just not seeing it, but is that for a pair or one mount?

#35 ·
Bill1960- Those look good! Seem really practical too. I see Revzilla carries the SW-Motech Legend series.
That's awesome you found the Klickfix on Amazon! Funny, I had been looking for them before, and there they are, right on Amazon.. Ha! I see the listing KlickFix Mount, and maybe I'm just not seeing it, but is that for a pair or one mount?
Metman

The Amazon Klickfix link you posted is for one mount, and lock not included.

This link is what I bought, for a pair with locks included.

#37 ·
Installed today, using DP pannier brackets and Klickfix mounts.

At some point I intend to modify the seat (again) to a dual seat that's the same width as the frame rails. After that I'll probably change the pannier mounting system to bring the bags in closer to the modified seat....

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.