Replacement Drop-In LiFeP04 Batteries - Page 3 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Sport Classic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 10:43 am   #21 (permalink)

i have had the LiFePo connected for a few months without any issues. The bike starts right up. I assume the anti-theft is putting some drain on the battery and will probably get around to disconnecting the battery when not riding for long periods.

So far, so good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 6th, 2011, 11:24 am   #22 (permalink)

Which, if any, of these type battery packs have built in balancing circuits?
and I'm slow.

"Black is the only color for a motorcycle.
Unless you want to sell it, then paint it red."
- Melvin "Swede" Dunlap, 1966

Cafe racers are built,
not bought.

The older I get,
the faster I was.
1duckyboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 11:36 am   #23 (permalink)

The SpeedCell claims that no balancing is needed - perhaps that is why they seem to have a cost premium. Don't know enough about the other LiFePO4s...
Old Apr 1st, 2011, 1:38 am   #24 (permalink)

seems to me that many LiFePo batteries have been out of stock at retailers as of late. anyone had any luck finding one recently?

was hoping for a speedcell or a shorai but havent been able to track one down.

2002 998

2004 DS1000

2007 GT1000
ducatidoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Apr 1st, 2011, 5:24 am   #25 (permalink)

sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but do these new batteries get charged the same way as a lead acid in the bike? I was always under the impression that these batteries needed a different charging system... I've seen the phrases, constant voltage or constant current bandied about the place....

Are these batts simply plug and play?
mikedsilva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Apr 1st, 2011, 5:46 am   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedsilva View Post
sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but do these new batteries get charged the same way as a lead acid in the bike? I was always under the impression that these batteries needed a different charging system... I've seen the phrases, constant voltage or constant current bandied about the place....

Mine has been on the bike for 9 months, and regularly sits for 2+ months while I'm out of the country. Starts up every time (unless it's under 40F/4C out).
Kookz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Apr 1st, 2011, 7:01 am   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedsilva View Post

They are pretty much plug n' play and yes, they get charged as part of the electrical system on the bike without modification. The only difference I am aware of is if you want to charge the battery on it's own, you would use a 6amp charger like the Odyssey rather than a more typical lower amp-rated charger for a lead acid.

Mine is still doing well after the 6 months it has been on the bike.
Old Jul 29th, 2011, 11:54 pm   #28 (permalink)

Update

Just an update here: I bought the larger of the two Shorai units offered by Motowheels, the LFX18A1 because I wanted the higher cranking amps and didn't care about a few more ounces or size.

My original battery is 5 years old now, and has performed admirably with only inconsistent attachments to a battery tender, but I just figured it was time to change it out. It's currently fully charged on the battery tender in the garage.

The Shorai is just impressive out of the box. Super light weight, very nicely finished. The packaging in the box consists of various thickness foam pads you use to shim the new battery into your existing battery box. Clever & effective. The new battery cranked the bike up no problem right out of the box, and has given me zero trouble for a month now. The weight savings are real, check the attached photos. If anything, I think the bike starts a little quicker now.

Wait until I get those Motolectric Hi-Cap cables installed...
Attached Thumbnails
Replacement Drop-In LiFeP04 Batteries-yuasa.jpg   Replacement Drop-In LiFeP04 Batteries-shorai-002.jpg  
Riderjeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 6:09 pm   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riderjeff View Post
I installed my hi-cap cables, but did not notice any differences. It could be my battery. Please do an update after the cables are in.

Thanks,
ct_mazi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 6:48 pm   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riderjeff View Post
Just an update here: I bought the larger of the two Shorai units offered by Motowheels, the LFX18A1 because I wanted the higher cranking amps and didn't care about a few more ounces or size.

My original battery is 5 years old now, and has performed admirably with only inconsistent attachments to a battery tender, but I just figured it was time to change it out. It's currently fully charged on the battery tender in the garage.

The Shorai is just impressive out of the box. Super light weight, very nicely finished. The packaging in the box consists of various thickness foam pads you use to shim the new battery into your existing battery box. Clever & effective. The new battery cranked the bike up no problem right out of the box, and has given me zero trouble for a month now. The weight savings are real, check the attached photos. If anything, I think the bike starts a little quicker now.

Jeff,

I have that same Shorai with the Motolectric cables. had them since feb and no issues. prior to the PUK setup, it would start on the first pump from the starter. the PUK seems to take a bit more to crank over.

i only wish the shorai and the terminal nuts locked in. they were a pia.

the motolectric is high quality stuff for sure. not confident on the cost-benefit overall.

take care

'08 SC 1000S
Gone but not forgotten '83 Interceptor
mopgcw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.