Comparison btw a 999 and SS - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Supersport

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Sep 13th, 2009, 2:38 am   #1 (permalink)

Comparison btw a 999 and SS

Swapped bikes for a ride with a mate who has a 999.

Was quite interesting.
I found the seat height lower, bike felt longer, and real hard suspension.
I just did'nt quite gel with it.

Sure it had heaps of get up and go, and revved quick, similar to my Daytona triple.
It did'nt sound as good as my 1000 SS DS. 2V are much nicer sounding than 4V IMO.
Was fast and very throttle responsive.

We'd just done a good hard ride thru the country with a group of about 12 of us on a variety of bikes, mainly Jappa litres, and we were the only Ducs. We swapped for the last bit on the way home after a pub stop.

I'm always on the back foot riding with the litre Jappas, especially on the straights, but I can ride my bike well, and had no probs catching and passing a GSXR1000 and VTR1000 ahead of me thru twisties and short straight bits.
The 999 to me would feel to be ok keeping up the litres.

But in all honesty I love my SS and its set up fine now and goes well and even tho does'nt have the top end of the 999 would have it ahead of that.
Each to their own of course.

My mate thought the SS was high, seat height, but he remarked on how much torque it had and he felt that it would eat his 999 in that field as he had to rev more. he was quite impressed and surprised.

But its all good, and great to be able to compare, as I was considering updating my SS to a 999 or 1098, but dunno really.
Plus I've just ordered some bling from Ebay for the SS and located a full fairing set plus tank so that I can paint another colour scheme and do a bit of mods and retain all my original red bits.
Mulcahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 13th, 2009, 3:23 am   #2 (permalink)

yup, i will agree... the ss1000ds is a shockingly fast bike for the street.

i love it when guys on new liter bikes come up saying "huh, that thing is pretty fast" when they catch me at the next rest stop

it seems they only ask if i want a xx9/848/1098 at the start of a ride.
avocet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2009, 5:32 am   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Poster Award

For the past 2 seasons I've been riding an '02 Bayliss 998S. Last Thursday I picked up an '05 SS1000DS on the theory that I wanted a more versatile bike. I only have about 3 miles on the SS thus far because it doesn't get registered until tomorrow. But my impression of the ergos is similar. Suspension not as rigid...a little more upright and higher angle...and, acceleration without that locomotive like surge. Looking forward to more time on the SS but I have to say I feel much more "of a piece" on that 998. I'm sure time and experience with the SS will make it all the better.
'05 MASI Gran Criterium S
bruce19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2009, 9:48 am   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
For the past 2 seasons I've been riding an '02 Bayliss 998S. Last Thursday I picked up an '05 SS1000DS on the theory that I wanted a more versatile bike. I only have about 3 miles on the SS thus far because it doesn't get registered until tomorrow. But my impression of the ergos is similar. Suspension not as rigid...a little more upright and higher angle...and, acceleration without that locomotive like surge. Looking forward to more time on the SS but I have to say I feel much more "of a piece" on that 998. I'm sure time and experience with the SS will make it all the better.
ha! don't get me wrong! modern liter bikes and duc superbikes are much, much faster. my brother asked me seriously if something was wrong with my ss after he rode it. he rides a zx14. before he got the zx, he thought the ss was pretty quick.

although after riding the z, both my ss and vfr seem woefully inadequate...
avocet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 9:50 am   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocet View Post
ha! don't get me wrong! modern liter bikes and duc superbikes are much, much faster. my brother asked me seriously if something was wrong with my ss after he rode it. he rides a zx14. before he got the zx, he thought the ss was pretty quick.

although after riding the z, both my ss and vfr seem woefully inadequate...
Get that ZX-14 on a tight, curvy road with the SS and it will be left for dead.
rz33v4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 7:17 pm   #6 (permalink)

[QUOTE=Mulcahey;690019]Swapped bikes for a ride with a mate who has a 999.

Was quite interesting.
I found the seat height lower, bike felt longer, and real hard suspension.
I just did'nt quite gel with it.

Sure it had heaps of get up and go, and revved quick, similar to my Daytona triple.
It did'nt sound as good as my 1000 SS DS. 2V are much nicer sounding than 4V IMO.
Was fast and very throttle responsive.

i agree . imo , no 4v ducati sounds like the 2v motor . perhaps the desmoquattro a bit but not the testastretta engine . my 900cr with keihins , open airbox and carbon slipons was pure music and a joy to ride in twisty asphalt sections .lots of torque at very low rpm's makes for a very nice twisties bike . my 999 is sweet and fast but does not sound like a 2v at full song .
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 9:12 pm   #7 (permalink)

when i bought my 999 a couple summers ago i thought i wouldn't ride my 95 900 (944) SP as much. i was way wrong. the 999 is a great bike with a lot of power. at this point i actually would rather ride the super sport. The SBK just doesn't have the same soul
ducdodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 4:57 am   #8 (permalink)
Prolific Poster Award

Having now put about 1200 mi. on the SS1000DS, it's clear that it is just easier to be fast on it. As much as I love my Bayliss 998 the SS is the one I ride on a daily basis. For my riding needs the SS is the best bike Ducati ever made.
'05 MASI Gran Criterium S
bruce19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 7:15 am   #9 (permalink)

Bruce,

I couldn't agree more. After owning both a 900SS and a 748R and riding both on track and streets, I prefer the SS as the better all-rounder. That's why every time someone starts a new thread on the possibility of a new SS from Ducati I always give my opinion - we need a newly styled, lightweight, torquey 2V SS, preferably with a 1/2 fairing styled like the '93-98 version (minus the rectangular headlight, of course). There is nothing on the market today that meets these criteria.
rz33v4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 9:26 am   #10 (permalink)

SS compared to 999

Having owned both, I like the SS for all around riding on the street. My 2004 999 was a great bike, I'd be still riding it today if a deer hadn't taken us out 2 years ago. Since then I've had a 2007 S2R1000 Monster,a 2001 SS 900 and now a 2006 SS1000. For the roads that I ride, mostly twisties, it does everything that I want out of a bike,handles well and all the power is usable. On the 999, it was hard to use all the power it offered unless it was at the track, for a road bike the SS is my choice for now.
fishboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement