Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Replacing wiring between alternator and connectors

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  goose goose DUC! 
#1 ·
Im having similiar issues with my electrical system that a few other of you guys are, but I cant get the answer Im looking for in any of those threads...

When replacing those yellow wires in between the R/R and the Alternator, do I have to replace the connector or can I just bypass it (I read those are usually the issue, as well as the wires not being large enough)? (a few of you reccomended a 10w)

Also, when replacing those wires, can I cut just a few inches down to the end of the crankcase, or do I need to assume the entire wire is shot and remove the crankcase and replace entire wire down to the stator coils?

Ty
1995 Supersport SS/CR

#3 ·
wiring

El_Gladiator said it correctly. Do not touch the wiring inside the stator. Use at least 10 gauge wire and splice the wiring as close as you feel comfortable to the stator housing and use marine gauge heat shrink tubing to seal your work. The bullet connectors for the rectifier/regulator are poor excuses for connections, and while you are at it replace those as well. Those bullet connectors are the original alternator wiring that goes to the regulator/rectifier. Oh, do not forget the main ground connection from the battery while your soldering gun is close by.

There is nothing about the wiring in my short time being a ducati owner that is quality. I had, and the operative word is had a 1996 900SS and I must have spent at least 100 hours upgrading my duc's wiring.

#4 ·
Re-worked this beast today and rode it for hours!! (a few extra to make up for my lost days haha)

Fairly simple task, I removed the fairing just to be safe since I was using the heatgun for the shrink tube and made it a little easier to access the wires coming from the R/R...man those lame ass stock connectors, I recommend everyone that has a pre-98 single-phase just clip those crappy things and by-pass em. Headlight and gauges are brighter and no more battery light comin on at low rpms.

Thank you guys again for the help!!!

Ty
'95 900SS/CR

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.