First bike! 2000 900SS, and also Wiring Issue - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2017, 2:56 pm Thread Starter

First bike! 2000 900SS, and also Wiring Issue

Hello all,

It's great to finally be a part of the forum. I read on here a lot before purchasing my bike, and now that I have had the bike I have been out enjoying it, it has been so great. Quick story-- I had always wanted a bike, graduated from college, got a (semi)real job, or at least more real than my last job flipping burgers, and finally felt as though I was ready to get into owning one. I had always liked chopped down style bikes, cafe-type primarily with maybe the occasional streetfighter or the like, and my buddy was looking to sell his 2000 900ss, as he had just purchased an 1198. I was never really into Ducatis, the name didn't really mean as much to me as it did to others as I didn't really know too much about bikes as a whole, I would say. So in a way I sort of fell ass backward into owning a Ducati, haha. I got it from him for a pretty good price, and he included a whole bunch of spare and extra parts, which I honestly have no idea how much they are worth or how to go about valuing/selling them. I'll post more on that later in the thread, but I have entire mint side fairings, a mint gas tank, mint front fairing, and a bunch of other stuff that I really need to sell now but have no idea how, due to the wiring issue which I spoke on in the title, but that's another matter.

Whew, that was a lot. So I have owned the bike for a few months now, it has been great. The story of the bike is an interesting one-- it is sort of a franken-bike, it has a salvage title from being hit by a delivery truck while parked, has roughly 11,000 miles, no gauges at the moment. It originally had a Two Brothers exhaust system fitted which sounded just flat out mean...apparently it shot small flames out a few times, said my buddy who was riding with me. I recently put on chopped straight tubes which are just....absurd sounding. It was definitely some sort of project bike for the person who owned it before my friend, it has an aftermarket headlight zip-tied onto the forks and the wiring is just sort of smushed behind the front headlight unit. It has ridden fine for months for me now, and a year at least for my buddy before, so everything seemed all good. I was riding it last week, however, and I got off and pulled the key out to grab something from under the seat, and upon getting back on and putting the key in, literally nothing happens. No fuel pump when turning it, no lights, no noises, nothing. After just getting off and back on for about one minute. So my mind is pretty boggled by that. I pulled out what I think was the fuse box and looked, and none looked broken. Checked the battery does have charge. Does anyone know how much a replacement wiring harness runs for something like this, if that even may be the case? This is all new to me. I am banking on having to pay some shop about $100 to diagnose it, which seems about my only option at this point. It is such a great and unique bike though, I'd hate for this to be something serious.

Another matter, the rear swing arm appears to have been damaged due to the previous owner fitting the exhaust system incorrectly. I have since put chopped pipes on which alleviate the problem, but this seems like something that could be fairly serious. What is everyone's take on this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bike.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	829785   Click image for larger version

Name:	bike1.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	829793   Click image for larger version

Name:	bike2.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	829801   Click image for larger version

Name:	bike4.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	829809  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2017, 4:51 pm

FYI your chain is also toast it needs replacing also.
I'd say they mounted wrong that's a nasty looking hole I'd probably just replace it you can get a good used one pretty inexpensive.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2017, 6:10 pm

Being that it is the inside of the triangle, I doubt it is a structural issue but i would have it welded or as mentioned before replaced with a used one. Just to be clear, talking about a TIG welder with aluminum experience.

Doesn't sound like you are into diagnosing an electrical problem. Hopefully you won't get taken to the cleaners for a relay or a connector problem.

As far as the pipes are concerned. I have some hearing loss from flying very noisy crop duster aircraft. I have learned some from reading about hearing loss. For one thing, hearing loss is cumulative. Once you lose some, it can only get worse. I suggest that you reconsider the exhaust system solution unless you want to be in a restaurant unable to understand the person at the table across from you because the background noise is no longer a separate thing and having to ask people to say something again so you can watch their lips,

2001 Monster S4

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2017, 7:01 pm
Tightly Clenched...

Those pics brought a tear to my eye! Ouch!

I'd first check the battery again, Ducatis are very very finicky about the charge in the battery, even just a little bit below the needed charge and all sorts of issues crop up. It also won't cost you anything other than a charger maybe.

Good luck with the bike.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2017, 7:09 pm
Prolific Poster Award

Starting problems

Try this.

Troubleshooting SSie starting woes - first cut

EDIT - as yours is pre 2001, it does not have a side/kick stand switch.
Otherwise the "guide" as it is applies.

Richard Collins - 2001 900SSie

Last edited by Punch; Jun 17th, 2017 at 7:14 pm.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2017, 8:18 pm

pretty sure the sidestand switch intro was 2000my. came with the grey frame.

Brad The Bike Boy
www.bikeboy.org
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2017, 8:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradblack View Post
On my 2001, the side stand switch does not prevent the electrical from powering on, lights, etc. Does defeat the starter and ignition.

I just realized it is different from the kill switch that defeats ignition but not the starter. My bike will actually start while the starter is running with the kill switch engaged but then instantly shut off when releasing the starter button. That briefly confused the crap out of me.

2001 Monster S4
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2017, 9:10 pm

yeah. pretty sure that's not right.

Brad The Bike Boy
www.bikeboy.org
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2017, 10:50 pm
Prolific Poster Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradblack View Post
Quick way to tell if it has the switch.

Wires running to the stand = 15M A8 ECU

No wires = 15M A0 ECU

Richard Collins - 2001 900SSie
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2017, 11:20 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies all. It does have the side-stand switch, but it never seemed to impact the bike at least having some sort of an electrical response when I turned the key. I unfortunately don't have the tools or technical know-how to troubleshoot the electrical system, so I'm hoping the mechanics will be able to run some sort of diagnostic and see where the issue is in the wiring. Does anyone have an idea how much the wiring sets cost for these bikes? I'm also wondering if it is possible for the shop to replace a certain problem area in the wiring opposed to the entire set as a whole. I love the fact that you can work on many things yourself with a motorcycle, but I'm afraid I'm in a little over my head on the wiring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode