Old guy takes 900SS/SP to the track... - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 2017, 3:49 am
Prolific Poster Award
 
John's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: The valley, Ca., USA
Posts: 8,449
Images: 15
Looking good, thanks for posting up your keeper and better yet taking it to the track. I've wanted to do the same with my 03 999R, but when I did that to my 916 I crashed, low siding it. Fortunately I was well prepared for the track day, installed frame sliders and replaced the classic 95 916 fairings with a set of old fairings. I got really lucky, the tail nor tank touched the asphalt. No way do I want to crash the 999R with the carbon body work, it would be a real expensive bummer. I wanted to take it to Laguna, but I would have likely flunked the sound limits to start with and what fun is it just cruising around and not letting it all hang out? However, you got me thinking about it again.
motolust likes this.

03 FLHRI Road King
03 999R #189
09 1125CR Buell (sold)
07 1100S MTS (sold)
04 999S (sold)
95 916 (sold)
01 900SS (sold)
05 Honda 600RR (sold before I crashed it)
05 Honda 600RR (full Yosh, PC, totalled it)



Ducati-Owners-Group of Sacramento region.
John is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 2017, 5:15 am
Junior Member
 
UKSteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: York, , UK
Posts: 7
Garage
That's a good photo Chris in what looks like a quite off-camber corner(turn)....

I did the same - went back to Cadwell Park(UK) after 20 years on my S2R, pouring with rain... Great stuff.
UKSteve is offline  
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 2017, 11:20 am Thread Starter
Member
 
motolust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKSteve View Post
That's a good photo Chris in what looks like a quite off-camber corner(turn)....

I did the same - went back to Cadwell Park(UK) after 20 years on my S2R, pouring with rain... Great stuff.
Good eye- it's nick named Crash Corner..lol. It's quite off camber indeed and I had to be very easy on the throttle once tipped in. Now pouring rain is another story- Good practice at being smooth I guess- always like seeing the GP guys in the rain- it's incredible what they are able to do.

Chris B
Los Angeles.. 1996 Ducati 900SS/SP
motolust is offline  
 
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 2017, 11:29 am Thread Starter
Member
 
motolust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Looking good, thanks for posting up your keeper and better yet taking it to the track. I've wanted to do the same with my 03 999R, but when I did that to my 916 I crashed, low siding it. Fortunately I was well prepared for the track day, installed frame sliders and replaced the classic 95 916 fairings with a set of old fairings. I got really lucky, the tail nor tank touched the asphalt. No way do I want to crash the 999R with the carbon body work, it would be a real expensive bummer. I wanted to take it to Laguna, but I would have likely flunked the sound limits to start with and what fun is it just cruising around and not letting it all hang out? However, you got me thinking about it again.
UGH- crashing the 916 must have been a terrible feeling- that is such a special machine but good that you had the protection- It's hard I know with these older bikes to not want to wad them up... but .... I believe if they could talk they would beg to get out there and stretch their legs lol. And you only live once- F it. I have a friend with a Panigale 899 that will not track it- I think he's crazy and we've had arguments about it. He has a track beater R6 which i think is awesome for some worry free fun but personally I couldn't own a Panigale without at the very least doing a couple laps on... that one day after so long did re ignite the bug big time... I bought an Aprilia RSV4 RF this week- haha- thing is insane.

Chris B
Los Angeles.. 1996 Ducati 900SS/SP
motolust is offline  
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2017, 9:51 pm
Prolific Poster Award
 
John's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: The valley, Ca., USA
Posts: 8,449
Images: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolust View Post
UGH- crashing the 916 must have been a terrible feeling- that is such a special machine but good that you had the protection- It's hard I know with these older bikes to not want to wad them up... but .... I believe if they could talk they would beg to get out there and stretch their legs lol. And you only live once- F it. I have a friend with a Panigale 899 that will not track it- I think he's crazy and we've had arguments about it. He has a track beater R6 which i think is awesome for some worry free fun but personally I couldn't own a Panigale without at the very least doing a couple laps on... that one day after so long did re ignite the bug big time... I bought an Aprilia RSV4 RF this week- haha- thing is insane.
I hear you, bunch of times I wanted to take the 999R to the track, but I kept waffling back and forth over wringing it's neck or just cruising around the track. I couldn't handle the latter, like go fast in the straights and slow down in the curves, I would look feel like an idiot. I remember a long time ago when I took my 01 900SS to the track and got stuck behind a slower rider on a very fast bike. He would outrun me on the straights to where I had to work like hell to catch him in the corners and just when I would catch him he hit another straight and pull ahead again. Actually it turned out to be kind of fun, a little frustrating though, I felt like a yo-yo. That is when I decided I needed a faster bike, but in reality the 900SS was plenty fast enough in the hills, I really liked that bike with it's dependable 2 valve motor, I put 15k miles on it and only the clutch plates needed replacement. Best mod I did was installing Marvic Magnesium wheels.

03 FLHRI Road King
03 999R #189
09 1125CR Buell (sold)
07 1100S MTS (sold)
04 999S (sold)
95 916 (sold)
01 900SS (sold)
05 Honda 600RR (sold before I crashed it)
05 Honda 600RR (full Yosh, PC, totalled it)



Ducati-Owners-Group of Sacramento region.
John is offline  
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2017, 10:09 pm
Senior Member
 
kdehkordi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: los angeles, california, usa
Posts: 746
Glad that your out having fun. Who/What was the track day organizer? ~~ ? I'm interested.

The RSV4 is insane, congrats and great choice.

Regarding tracking or not tracking your bike, I think the answer is 100% YES. I feel everyone will benefit from tracking their bike, especially early on in ownership. The goal being to generally learn more about the bikes' characteristics and to gain confidence/familiarity in a controlled/safe environment (no oil on the road/on coming traffic/trees). Having tracked my Multi many more times than my RSV4, I'm actually faster or at least more comfortable going fast (10/10) on the Multi.

When in doubt, lean more...
02 SS750 Lovely first bike Red (sold)
02 St4s Rip 11/18/11 -- running now Matte Grey (sold)
03 St4s Restored from salvage Senna (sold)
10 Multi S 3yr and 55k mi Black
12 RSV4 F 15k mi
kdehkordi is online now  
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 2017, 9:06 am
Senior Member
 
ducvet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: lakes region, NH, usa
Posts: 1,866
Images: 1
On whether to track or not it is any easy one but comes with a tougher question, Do you have any self control? If you do not or are not capable of riding over your head then I would guess you should collect bikes and not ride them anywhere. If you have some self control then you are capable of letting faster riders go and ride at your pace, this means you are safer on the track than riding on the road as you have less things to take you out on the track . Such as traffic,animals cell phones etc.

I have customers with 999r 1098r and all sorts or bikes with more money tied up in them than they are worth. Trackdays are NOT race days so there is no good reason to crash your bike. None of the factories will be hiring you and there are no trophies or cash rewards for being fastest. Trackdays are just a place to ride your bike without worries of traffic,animals cell phones and speeding tickets what better place to ride a bike?

If you do a trackday and find you want to make a bike such as a 999r into your main track bike then simply put away all of the hard to replace bits and make it crash worthy in case something does happen. If you get that far then picking up a less rare bike will be an easy decision.

On staying on a 2-valve bike vs a high hp bike everyone has their preferences based on what they enjoy. I do not enjoy riding my 853 any more than my 750ss and can actually say there is nothing better than passing high Hp bikes with a low hp one. Yes you do work a lot more than they do and you need to push limits more often as all our speed it made up in or at corners but I feel it has made me a better rider as you cannot rely on Hp once out of the corner.

Case in point a customer with a 999r picked up a 748 and got faster on the 748 than he was on the 999r, after learning to not rely on the high Hp he rides the 999r much better than before and is a very good rider today on Both bikes. Both bikes teach you something different small hp teaches corner speed and maintaining momentum and high Hp teaches you what to do when you are going much faster speeds (braking and turning at higher speeds is different than low speeds).

Now get out there and have fun on whichever bike you have because any bike will be a smile maker on the track. we teach the state police track riding and you should see these guys who are very skilled street riders have an absolute blast at speed on Harley police bikes. We also see goldwings and dual sports most anything on two wheels will be fun.
ducvet is online now  
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 2017, 11:51 am
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 91
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducvet View Post
On whether to track or not it is any easy one but comes with a tougher question, Do you have any self control? If you do not or are not capable of riding over your head then I would guess you should collect bikes and not ride them anywhere. If you have some self control then you are capable of letting faster riders go and ride at your pace, this means you are safer on the track than riding on the road as you have less things to take you out on the track . Such as traffic,animals cell phones etc.

I have customers with 999r 1098r and all sorts or bikes with more money tied up in them than they are worth. Trackdays are NOT race days so there is no good reason to crash your bike. None of the factories will be hiring you and there are no trophies or cash rewards for being fastest. Trackdays are just a place to ride your bike without worries of traffic,animals cell phones and speeding tickets what better place to ride a bike?

If you do a trackday and find you want to make a bike such as a 999r into your main track bike then simply put away all of the hard to replace bits and make it crash worthy in case something does happen. If you get that far then picking up a less rare bike will be an easy decision.

On staying on a 2-valve bike vs a high hp bike everyone has their preferences based on what they enjoy. I do not enjoy riding my 853 any more than my 750ss and can actually say there is nothing better than passing high Hp bikes with a low hp one. Yes you do work a lot more than they do and you need to push limits more often as all our speed it made up in or at corners but I feel it has made me a better rider as you cannot rely on Hp once out of the corner.

Case in point a customer with a 999r picked up a 748 and got faster on the 748 than he was on the 999r, after learning to not rely on the high Hp he rides the 999r much better than before and is a very good rider today on Both bikes. Both bikes teach you something different small hp teaches corner speed and maintaining momentum and high Hp teaches you what to do when you are going much faster speeds (braking and turning at higher speeds is different than low speeds).

Now get out there and have fun on whichever bike you have because any bike will be a smile maker on the track. we teach the state police track riding and you should see these guys who are very skilled street riders have an absolute blast at speed on Harley police bikes. We also see goldwings and dual sports most anything on two wheels will be fun.

I've been reading this thread and it reminded me of a bit of advise from an amazing rider. He would EMBARRASS people on big hp bikes on his RD350 all day long. He told me this: "It's not the arrow, it's the Indian."
Micah.Berry likes this.
emmodg is offline  
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 2017, 2:02 pm
Junior Member
 
UKSteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: York, , UK
Posts: 7
Garage
October in the UK.. Cold, wet and leaves on the circuit....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cadwell Park UK and late autumn rain..jpg
Views:	28
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	801209  
UKSteve is offline  
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2017, 10:52 am Thread Starter
Member
 
motolust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducvet View Post
On whether to track or not it is any easy one but comes with a tougher question, Do you have any self control? If you do not or are not capable of riding over your head then I would guess you should collect bikes and not ride them anywhere. If you have some self control then you are capable of letting faster riders go and ride at your pace, this means you are safer on the track than riding on the road as you have less things to take you out on the track . Such as traffic,animals cell phones etc.

I have customers with 999r 1098r and all sorts or bikes with more money tied up in them than they are worth. Trackdays are NOT race days so there is no good reason to crash your bike. None of the factories will be hiring you and there are no trophies or cash rewards for being fastest. Trackdays are just a place to ride your bike without worries of traffic,animals cell phones and speeding tickets what better place to ride a bike?

If you do a trackday and find you want to make a bike such as a 999r into your main track bike then simply put away all of the hard to replace bits and make it crash worthy in case something does happen. If you get that far then picking up a less rare bike will be an easy decision.

On staying on a 2-valve bike vs a high hp bike everyone has their preferences based on what they enjoy. I do not enjoy riding my 853 any more than my 750ss and can actually say there is nothing better than passing high Hp bikes with a low hp one. Yes you do work a lot more than they do and you need to push limits more often as all our speed it made up in or at corners but I feel it has made me a better rider as you cannot rely on Hp once out of the corner.

Case in point a customer with a 999r picked up a 748 and got faster on the 748 than he was on the 999r, after learning to not rely on the high Hp he rides the 999r much better than before and is a very good rider today on Both bikes. Both bikes teach you something different small hp teaches corner speed and maintaining momentum and high Hp teaches you what to do when you are going much faster speeds (braking and turning at higher speeds is different than low speeds).

Now get out there and have fun on whichever bike you have because any bike will be a smile maker on the track. we teach the state police track riding and you should see these guys who are very skilled street riders have an absolute blast at speed on Harley police bikes. We also see goldwings and dual sports most anything on two wheels will be fun.
Totally agree! The most stress free fun I've had on track was on my old CBR600 beater track bike- it wasn't the fastest bike and had ugly track fairings but the suspension was dialed and allowed me to practice and explore higher entry speeds using momentum and made me a much better rider. The other bike that was a blast to ride was an Aprilia RS250- was able to carry awesome corner speed and would get blown away on the straights but always caught the liter bikes in the tighter more technical corners.

The thing that scares me the most at track days are the big bike testosterone riders that think we are racing- I try and get out of those packs when i get caught in them- even pulling into pit lane to get out of the mix with those guys- I always try and get a control rider to show me the lines and follow them around- to me it's all about exploring the bike and what the limits are- ego and chest beating have always gotten me into trouble in life not just the track haha. - and I'm older now and have kids and don't give a crap about being perceived as a "fast guy"- I just wanna have some fun and really love the way it focuses you and forces you to live in the moment- all the noise of life disappears for a while- it's a zen thing for sure.

The RSV4 will be an exercise in braking and timing downshifts etc like you mentioned- it's insanely fast- I've never had such a bike- I do need to get some help getting the Ohlins front and rear dialed in for me- it scares me a bit this bike- but like you said also- it will be a lesson in self control- it's funny how these machines can teach you many things about yourself.

"it's not the arrow-it's the indian" my new favorite quote!

Chris B
Los Angeles.. 1996 Ducati 900SS/SP
motolust is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[VIDEO] My Ducati 1098 track bike - race videos and development. Sinner- Superbikes 7 Mar 15th, 2017 4:20 am
FS: 1986 Suzuki GSX-R750 track bike T8KC Bikes 11 Feb 20th, 2017 2:50 am
'96 M944 race bike build/CCW track tank review farmboy69 Ducati Motorcycle Chat 24 Dec 24th, 2016 10:47 pm
749R/999RS first track test seven4niner Superbikes 9 Oct 1st, 2016 1:22 pm

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome