Brembo single pin retainer - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2017, 2:52 am Thread Starter

Brembo single pin retainer

Changed front pads to EBC HH a couple of weeks ago and realised a previous owner or "mechanic" didn't re-install the single pin retainers. Apart from stopping the pads rattling do they serve any other purpose?

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2017, 5:04 am

Well, from experience i can say they do stop the pads falling out whilst driving IF installed PROPERLY!!!

This happend to me on a tour in 2015, the rear pads dropped out whilst moving, made a hell of a racket. And wrecked the caliper in the process. Luckily, Ducati Bielefeld were not too far away and they had a used caliper with pads lurking on a shelf. 75 euros later it was fitted and we were all back on our way. At this point the tech checked the front pads too. They also were not fitted properly - the pin wasnt driven in deeply enough that the sprong collar was holding properly.

Moral of the story, when you buy an new used bike, check the P.O. new how to fit CRUCIAL parts like brake pads properly.

Chris

1992 900SSie, Moto Guzzi V50 Monza, Vespa PX192
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2017, 8:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrss View Post
Changed front pads to EBC HH a couple of weeks ago and realised a previous owner or "mechanic" didn't re-install the single pin retainers. Apart from stopping the pads rattling do they serve any other purpose?

Cheers.
Are you talking about the pad pin, or the anti-rattle clips? The anti-rattle clips are not necessary (I don't use them on my track bike's brakes), but the pad retainer pin is absolutely necessary (if you want to have brakes), and has a small "e-clip" or "hair pin" clip that keeps the pin from falling out.

1997 900 SS/SP track bike
2007 CBR1000RR
1992 CBR900RR (sold)
2005 MV Agusta F4-1000s (sold)
2007 ST3s (sold)
1998 900 SS/FE #299 (sold)

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2017, 9:04 pm Thread Starter

Yeah, the retaining clip/spring (for a single pin caliper) or as you say the anti-rattle clip. Have sourced a couple already at $10. each 'cos I hate rattling noises.
BTW the pins on mine don't have a "hair pin" clip, instead the pin has a collar even though the manual shows different. Slight changes btwn years?

Cheers.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2017, 11:00 pm

In the old days the brake pads had springs attached to them. Those pads are no longer available, and you need to source the springs separately for use with current pads. Could be that the previous owner of your bike changed out old pads to the newer style and didn't add the springs.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 2017, 12:44 am

Garage
What year is your bike? I recall my old ones had both the compression fitting and a hole for a hairpin, but didn't actually have a hairpin installed - I assume the PO made a mistake.

Looks like the replacements do have both the hairpin style clip as well as the compression fitting.

Brembo OE Brake Caliper Pin Kit - OPPRACING Products

Quote:
Yeah, the retaining clip/spring (for a single pin caliper) or as you say the anti-rattle clip. Have sourced a couple already at $10. each 'cos I hate rattling noises.
BTW the pins on mine don't have a "hair pin" clip, instead the pin has a collar even though the manual shows different. Slight changes btwn years?

Cheers.

1994 Ducati 900 SS/CR

It's Italian. If I can get it to start, it'll win.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 2017, 12:57 pm

Quote:

Cheers.
That item is not a "retaining" clip since it does not retain anything. It's supposed to keep the pads from rattling, but my pads make no rattling noises without them installed.

What keeps your pad pin from falling out? It must have some sort of clip. That collar may actually be an "e-clip." Rotate it and see if it has an opening to allow it to clip over the pad pin.

1997 900 SS/SP track bike
2007 CBR1000RR
1992 CBR900RR (sold)
2005 MV Agusta F4-1000s (sold)
2007 ST3s (sold)
1998 900 SS/FE #299 (sold)
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 2017, 2:31 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyopper View Post
What year is your bike? I recall my old ones had both the compression fitting and a hole for a hairpin, but didn't actually have a hairpin installed...
'93. Pin has the compression fitting but no hole for a hairpin. It does seem that they are like Catholic school girls; some do, and some don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-B View Post
That item is not a "retaining" clip since it does not retain anything. It's supposed to keep the pads from rattling, but my pads make no rattling noises without them installed.
Yeah correct, not called a clip, but a retaining plate. This part: https://ducati-gowanloch.com/shop/br...-pin-retainer/
Ducati part No:000077782
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2017, 9:35 pm

Garage
Mine completely fell out on the road taking pads, springs and I don't know what all used to be in there. Tried a later model single pin from my friends bike but it was too large in diameter. I have the early 900SS BLACK calipers, any more advice here? I suspect what I ordered from the internet will work but that is two weeks delivery. Can I use a bent nail?
duc96cr likes this.

1991 900SS
1968 Honda 305 Dream
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2017, 10:33 pm

the black calipers on my 851 have m6 bolts with nylock nuts on the inner side of the caliper.

Brad The Bike Boy
www.bikeboy.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode