Refreshing my '96 SS-CR - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2016, 10:57 am Thread Starter

Refreshing my '96 SS-CR

I'm going to tear down my SS , but unlike many of you I will not be doing a restoration . My paint is scratched, and though I'm swapping some parts for others that are in better shape , less dents, nicer paint etc, the paint will remain original Ducati. My lower fork legs need replacement due to leakage. I've obtained a good pair of adjustable Showas from a Monster I'll be swapping my GSXR internals into. I have a polished SP alloy swing arm I'll be installing. I'll be repainting my engine, wheels and frame, they are in very poor condition. I haven't decided on colors yet. I have a lightened stock flywheel to install. I may buy new starter motor if the other used ones I have are not stronger. I may replace my vertical cylinder studs while the engine is out, I already did the horizontal with the APE studs. Some new wiring and tubing as I reassemble. I may lose the rear fender and I have a carbon hugger from an ST and a cf gauge overlay . Also have an alloy clutch basket and better brake pads I might install. The bike already has an adjustable Showa shock and wider rear wheel, carbon fender, open clutch cover, upgraded levers and pegs, Supersprox 41 t sprocket and case saver, and tinted screen. I'm contemplating trimming the edges of the fairing to give more bar clearance, and repainting a lot of the little stuff. It's on the lift right now , ready to start.
Cornhole98 likes this.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2016, 11:53 am

What are you doing? Get back in there and don't come back without pics!
gs2offroad likes this.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2016, 1:03 pm Thread Starter

I'll take a " before " shot pretty soon, before the wrenches start flying.

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2016, 9:50 pm Thread Starter

Ok , took pics but they didn't load. I'll figure that out later. Removed the fairing and found a plethora of forgotten bodges. Also found that when I hit a pot hole last year I cracked my carbon front fender . I found a pinched wire on my brake switch, and my choke lever repair needs repairing again. Under the fluorescents in my shop the old girl looks worse than I thought.

post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2016, 10:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc96cr View Post
Ok , took pics but they didn't load. I'll figure that out later. Removed the fairing and found a plethora of forgotten bodges. Also found that when I hit a pot hole last year I cracked my carbon front fender . I found a pinched wire on my brake switch, and my choke lever repair needs repairing again. Under the fluorescents in my shop the old girl looks worse than I thought.
Isn't that always the way?

'95 900 Superlight IV #064

Mods are: K&N filter, airbox lid on with rubber trumpets removed, MBP collets, full SMI (SilMoto Italia) spaghetti exhaust with 'open' carbon cans, 41mm FCR's - #182 mains!, Barnett alloy clutch basket, Oberon slave cylinder, Ohlins fork springs, Ohlins rear shock, Verlicchi swingarm.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 2016, 7:10 pm Thread Starter

The more I take her down, the worse it gets. I think I set a worlds record for snipping zip ties in one day. I think when I reassemble it I'll use nuts and bolts instead.🤔

post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2016, 2:28 pm Thread Starter

All the anodizing is in very poor condition. I have painted some of it in the past, looks as though I'll be doing a lot more this time around. I need some durable paint, any suggestions?

post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 2016, 9:47 am Thread Starter

Being parked by salt water for several winters has really taken its toll, corrosion everywhere. I'm spending hours cleaning every little bit.

post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 2016, 9:29 am Thread Starter

She's almost totally stripped now, just a frame with the engine and the triples. I've found several things needing repair: cracked speedo drive, .002" wear on the drive side of the rear axle. The bearing seems tight and smooth, though. I have no confidence a used replacement won't be just as bad . The fairing frame is cracked, along with damage to the front fender and oil cooler, I think that was all caused by hitting a huge pothole hidden in the shadows last year. The steering head bearings have a notch and will be replaced with tapered rollers. The bill is getting longer. I ordered a ton of stainless fasteners to make reassembly easier, and add a little bling. Though I like the white frame and wheels paint scheme, I feel it's overdone. I'm trying to come up with an alternative that will " pop" . Any thoughts ?

post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 2016, 10:49 am

Are you saying the rear axle is bent or worn?

Not something I have seen but anything is possible. I would look for the cause of wear if it has truly worn. Is the wear area correspond to a bearing? Might have been a previous bearing or another owner getting excited "cleaning" corrosion on the axle.

Head bearings were tapered rollers from day one on these bikes,do you have something else?

Keep in mind stainless fasteners are not often as strong as oem steel. (neither is aluminum or often Ti) so that does not mean you shouldn't use it just be aware there are some places strength trumps pretty.
Most stainless problems I deal with is that some are soft and allen wrenches will round them out easily.

With paint YOU have to decide original or custom first. If you are going custom then don't be shy, not everyone will like what you have done (just look at new supersport thread ) but you are building it for you not them. I have had customers paint bikes in colors that I never would have dared and after they were all done the bikes looked great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode