Refreshing my '96 SS-CR - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 2016, 4:00 pm

Keep The Narrow rear wheel that is the key to the CR handling better than the SS
PhilBoncer likes this.

"Hold It Open Until You See GOD Then Brake"

1977 YAMAHA RD400
1979 YAMAHA Daytona Special (sold)
1985 YAMAHA RZ350
1995 DUCATI 900 Hot Rodded CR
2002 APRILIA RSVR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 2016, 12:28 pm Thread Starter

I don't have a narrow rear wheel. The bike came to me with the wider version.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 2016, 5:22 pm Thread Starter

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducvet View Post
Are you saying the rear axle is bent or worn?

Not something I have seen but anything is possible. I would look for the cause of wear if it has truly worn. Is the wear area correspond to a bearing? Might have been a previous bearing or another owner getting excited "cleaning" corrosion on the axle.

Head bearings were tapered rollers from day one on these bikes,do you have something else?

Keep in mind stainless fasteners are not often as strong as oem steel. (neither is aluminum or often Ti) so that does not mean you shouldn't use it just be aware there are some places strength trumps pretty.
Most stainless problems I deal with is that some are soft and allen wrenches will round them out easily.

With paint YOU have to decide original or custom first. If you are going custom then don't be shy, not everyone will like what you have done (just look at new supersport thread ) but you are building it for you not them. I have had customers paint bikes in colors that I never would have dared and after they were all done the bikes looked great.
Yes, I'm saying the axle is worn in the area of the sprocket bearing. The sprocket bearing feels as if it is in excellent shape, it drags smoothly and feels tight as new. I have seen this on shafts before, even when the bearing is good. May be caused by excessive clearance between bearing and shaft, or maybe dirt getting in and causing wear, or a combination. The only thing I will feel comfortable with would be a new axle, or I'll stick with this one. It's worn maybe .0015-.002", I used a caliper not a micrometer. I'm wondering how much wheel play that turns into ? It won't break, it's just a bit of imprecision.:crying
I'm not using stainless for high stress areas, just cases etc. if you saw how corroded everything got, you wouldn't wonder why.

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 2016, 5:26 pm Thread Starter

Oh, and steering head bearings, I wasn't sure what came stock, my present ones are SKF tapered rollers and the races are totally shot. I'm shocked I never felt anything.

post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2017, 9:27 pm Thread Starter

The frame welds are some of the worst I've ever seen, no exaggeration. Blow holes , welds not completed around tubes, big globs of weld, poor penetration. I'm cleaning them all to bare metal and grinding off some of the excess. Next I'll decide how far to go to make it right. My welder is out of town, and I don't have enough skill ( though I'm better than whoever did it at the factory).

post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2017, 8:43 pm Thread Starter

There are supposed to be passages behind the rear belt cover for air flow, between the head fins. Mine were closed with casting flash, which I cleaned out. A little extra cooling couldn't hurt.

post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2017, 1:26 pm

Do you mean the fins? There normally is no open area on the vertical cylinder into the belt area as that can let debris into the belt area under the covers and then you are playing engine pinball. On some engines the inner belt cover has been trimmed because it was cracking and going to break into the belts. Often this gets cut off leaving a view of the fins behind which are normally covered. Belt vents were not introduced until 999 and later motors.

999 used a air filter to keep debris out but newer designs just leave gaps in the covers which does allow debris in. Roll the dice and take your chances.
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2017, 7:16 pm Thread Starter

The head fins behind the vertical belt cover , on both sides, had casting flash covering most of each hole. It did not appear deliberate. You're right, it will probably let a small amount of dirt in . I ground quite a bit of casting flash from between head fins and cylinder fins. If Ducati meant to block those spots deliberately It doesn't seem they would have done it that way, but you ought to know.

post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2017, 9:00 pm Thread Starter

Removed swing arm from engine today. The pivot shaft is shot, which means the bearings are shot. There was fluid in the cavity between the brgs. I'm not sure if it was water or oil. I'm considering drilling holes in the cases so any future moisture could drain. Tell me why I shouldn't ?

post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2017, 4:08 pm

HK 2016 INA is marked on the bearing sides.

I would not open up the cases for a drain. It is NOT normal to have water in there so I would bet someone was using a pressure washer or garden hose on high to get it in there. Most cases I open are bone dry and the original grease is still plentiful. Looks like white lithium. It is not common to wear out a swingarm pin on these bikes so I would again bet someone cleaned it to death.

I doubt Ducati tried to block the fins up as they already use the inner belt cover to seal the belt area. I would guess they cast them that way and due to the location waste no time on them as no one sees it. How much cooling you gain by cleaning up that area will be interesting to see, I would not expect much but you never know. The hard thing will be measuring the gain unless you ran a controlled experiment prior.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode