1995 900 SS Paint repair? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
  • 1 Post By Finally home

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2016, 3:24 pm Thread Starter

1995 900 SS Paint repair?

I finally retrieved my 1995 900 SS SP and I'm in the process of restoring and updating it. So far I've had the 12,000 mile work done at MCC, a new set of Rosso II's, a Sil-Moto spaghetti exhaust system from FBF and a bunch of other smaller stuff. On it's final clean-up before reinstalling the faring I used "Dunk" to get the last bit of oil off and then pushed it back in my garage. Unfortunately I slipped on the wet degreaser and we fell against the garage door frame. I now have a nice dent in the original tank - which is very clean and has no rust. I contacted Transcendent and they think they can remove the dent for under $300. But, I think the paint has been scuffed badly. My question: Can this tank be "spot" painted? If so, who would you recommend that could do this type of work? I've come way too far to give up now!
Couple of shots below - one just before I tried to push it back into the garage and the other of the tank showing the dent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1995 Ducati 900 SSSP tank.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	568.3 KB
ID:	767153  
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Final wash before faring goes back on 7-31-16.JPG (925.8 KB, 61 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2016, 9:16 pm

Somebody might be able to, but I've never had much luck. Really bad spot , the paint would have to be a perfect match.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2016, 11:58 pm

Garage
Bummer, nope - the dent can come out for sure, but a paint match? IMHO, no, the whole tank respray with new stickers. And they can match the bodywork color so press on. Good luck!

1991 900SS
1968 Honda 305 Dream

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2016, 7:43 am
Prolific Poster Award

Garage
When that dent is repaired, will the inside be coated? I ask because I am told there are 4 different brands (?) of coating. I used POR in my '05 DS1000SS and it pulled off the interior walls and was a mess. I ended up having to buy another tank. I am told that Caswell is a better option. This is all word of mouth but do check. You won't be happy at the price of a new tank. I picked one up for $500. Ducati wanted $2500 according to my shop.

bruce19
'05 SS1000DS
'14 Ford Focus ST
'05 MASI Gran Criterium S
'13 GURU steel w/SRAM Red
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2016, 9:09 am Thread Starter

Well - my tank is spotless inside. I don't plan to coat it but I do plan to keep it as far away from ethanol laced gas as possible. We have a BP station about 14 miles down the road that sells 91 "real gas" for about $1.00 more than the price of the other stuff. I have an app on my phone (Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada) that allows me to find stations on a road trip. I found out the hard way about the damage done by this stuff to my trimmer, blower and John Deere LX176. So, I keep a 5 gal tank around for all but the car.
Based on what responses I've had so far I'd say I won't be able to spot the tank. Guess I'll wait until I have the dent removed and then see if the paint will clean-up or if I'll have to find someone to repaint the tank and pray it's close to the color of the other panels. I've never seen a new one available for my '95 and most of the used I've seen have other issues too.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2016, 3:18 pm

I have several tanks lying around, none are perfect. I'm going to use one when I redo my bike this winter that has no dents but the front bottom corners have pin holes. I'm coating it with Caswells , I've already fixed the holes. I can get away with spot painting it because you can't see the corners with the fairings on.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2016, 4:09 pm

Finally home,

I would contact Sean at Conneticut cycle refinishing, ccrbike.com. He can pull the dent and blend the paint on your tank, all without disturbing the original decals. Look on his website, you can see how he fixed a faring on a ben bostrum replica, very impressive.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2016, 4:12 pm Thread Starter

Thanks.
I have several folks I've found on the web but I much prefer one with a recommendation!
I'll have a look.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2016, 4:17 pm Thread Starter

Thanks again for the recommendation!
Sean came across with a reasonable quote - and he will do the paint match as well. This is good news!
He really appears to know our bikes and what works. Said that while tank dings are clearly not good news, mine was in the best place for him to fix it properly without filler.
Nice.
psyopper likes this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 2016, 7:09 pm

Just an update on Connecticut Cycle refinishing, yesterday I picked up some parts Sean had painted for one of my Ducatis. The parts he painted only had slight imperfections including a gas tank that had a small ding in the same area as yours. I'm happy to say he blended the paint perfectly. He also took care of a small scuff that went through the graphics of a faring, it also came out perfect.

Walking through his small shop I noticed several exotic gas tanks and fairings being painted, Bimotas, Harris, Moto Martin, along with older Ducatis from the 70s and 80s, truly high end bikes. To keep all these tanks original he was only blending the paint and fixing graphics were they needed to be, this guy has some serious skills.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode