Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Carby tank on a 900SS i.e. - what is needed?

10K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  albany23 
#1 · (Edited)
Guys,

I swapped the Therblanche tank from my 900SS i.e. '98 with a 600SS '96 carbed version. The old tank looks so much better, and also, the testies seem happier. I will get back to you guys on this topic after some braking tests.

Now, the difference between the two as far as internals is significant, and i have tried to sort it out. 'Piece of cake', they said, 'just buy another bike, and use that tank','they said. But for my project, the injected tank was not an option. Please consider that i have stripped the bike apart, sandblasted the frame and tank, applied POR 15 treatment inside the carbed tank and so on. Not for the faint hearted...

For more info, go here, and select your bike model for pricing and info (EU)
Stein-Dinse GmbH Ersatzteillisten

First of all, the frame positioning is straightforward, using the oem rubber mounts. You will also have to weld the old carbed version bracket for the front latch. I used two M6 frame logs from the old bike, and dremelled the 600SS bracket to fit around the frame. Nothing major for a good welder. Of course, someone else did that for me, let's call him Pinky. :)) You can also replace the latch with a leather strap, connected to the frame with 2 straps, and you get away without welding. That is a future project.

Second, all the internals should be swapped to injected.The pump support(no.17, carbed internals) is identical inside the tank, it even has the old Ducati logo from the 70's on it, so i assume they did not bother to change it. The injected pump assy hoses(no.1's) needs minor trimming, but it will fit. I also replaced the pump mesh filter(no.8),as well as the metal filter(no.4), just to be on the safe side. Fuel sensor is different. I advise you to use the injected model, but to swap the M30 plastic nut from the injected bike with the aluminium one from the carbed version. They are identical, but do not crack. Gasket fits perfectly, but order a new one(no10).Pennies.

Third, fuel transfer. The carbed tank has only 3 bottom exits: Mandata(delivery), Ritorno(Return), Drenaggio(Drainage). Something like that. Carbed Tank ventilation is on the top of the tank, via a one-way valve(no.41). I also tried to attach a .cdr format label i made up, as the old one was removed when the tank was sandblasted for paint. If you need that, send a pm and it's yours.There's a pic attached. The Mandata line enters the tank via a tap(no.29), which is not present on the injected model. Of course, mine was distroyed, so i had to order it. The oem one is silly money, so i went for a universal one, costs 3 Euros, from enduro bikes.

You can also use this one, from Ariette ARIETE TANK BREATHER HOSE WITH VALVE 10936 - SILVER | eBay

Now, i have used the fuel cap base (no.6, 900ss tank externals) from the injected model, which has two drainage hoses (one for accidental spillage at the pump, one for tank ventilation, compared to the carbed version, which has only one (spillage). I would advise you to use the carbed version (no.3), because you only have one bottom exit on the tank, and using the injected one will require a 2-in-1 Y copper 6mm connector inside the tank. If you can source that, then you're fine with the injected one. The injected model has a plastic part (no.13), and i doubt that will hold up submersed in fuel. I could not source new oem drainage hoses, so i used the old ones. If you can advise on type of hose, that would be great.

My biggest issue is this: will the injected pump pressure be affected by the aluminium tap that connects the delivery hose (Mandata) at the bottom of the tank? I mean, will the tap 'strangle' fuel flow on exit? Only a savvy Ducatista can clear that up for me.

I hope this helps, it took me ages to figure it out. Please advise if you think i messed up anywhere, as i am by no means a professional mechanic, just a bloke in a shed. In my defense, i did not start the bike just yet, so i have no feedback just yet.
If you need the .ai format for the tank b/w decals, shout.

Mihai

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
So far so good!!!

I have an SSie Motor in my 92 SS. The tap is not a problem, works fine on mine. The fuel pressure for the ie is not so high that the tap will restrict it.

Chris

Reactions: albany23
#3 ·
The pressure regulator on your ie is on the throttle body, this should control the pressure. If the petcock is acting as a higher restriction then it will bump the pressure up. To be sure check the fuel pressure and see what you have for pressure, I would bet it is fine.

#4 ·
Wow, i assume everything else should work fine, then?:)) Mind you, with the batt on, fuel sensor connected, the dials show i ran out of gas. So it must be right:) I will go for it, then, regarding the petcock(nasty word i refuse to use:)) If any issues, then i'll remove the petcock altogether, and plug the sucker in.
Many thanks, guys!!

" 'cause tramps like us,
Baby, we were born to run. "

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.