Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Cam belt harmonic tool?

8K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  duc96cr 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Can't see why it wouldn't, but two valve belts are pretty easily tensioned using the 5-6mm allen key method. I wonder if a smartphone app that measures audio frequency would work? I have apps on my phone to tune my guitar, but I don't know if the belt vibration would be loud enough to register. Worth a try if someone is going to be checking their belts soon.

#4 ·
Allens

Hey Spacy,
The reason the allens don't work on the later bikes is that they run much tighter than the 5mm/6mm of the early motors. The factory tool is almost $700, and I've not been able to get repeatability with apps or programs for my laptop.
I'm going to try this one.
-a

#17 ·
Not the meter but, for whatever reason, the iPad mic picked up on the 110Hz frequency from the light.
After I turned it off, it worked just fine.
Also, it's much easier to CATEFULLY "over" tight the belt and move back.
If the belt is too loose, it will not vibrate enough for the mic.

#13 ·
I've seen the cycleworks video with the phone app. Looks like a PITA. I put new belts on my 11 Hyper1100 when I bought it used. I used the smaller allen recommended method in the DesmoTimes manual. I'm gonna have the belts done by dealer and see what allen works best after done with their method.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.