95cr With Carb Issues/Questions - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Supersport

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 20th, 2008, 6:45 pm   #1 (permalink)

95cr With Carb Issues/Questions

Hey all,
I picked up my 900 about 3 years ago and it's been good up until last fall. It developed a 'stuck' carb after giving her wide open throttle to accelerate. Just crankin' on it a little at a stop sign was okay, but when (not all the time) I'd really get on it, I would loose a carb. It would continue to run, but only on one cylinder (I shut her down right away at these times). Someone at the dealership told me it was a typical problem for a slide to wear and eventually cause this? I ended up picking up a brand new set of take-offs from ebay for a song. Anyone have a recommendation on which jet kit to get, stage 1 or 2. No mods to the bike other than a K&N and D&D pipes. The original owner never had the carbs jetted, he just installed the pipes. The pipes were put on shortly after he bought it so they have had some years on them. I guess my question is, would 13 year old pipes require a stage 2 and possibly cone filters or modifing the stock airbox?
Thanks for any help. And I've been lurkin' here for a while, this is my post, so I appreciate any advice you have.
mistyduc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2008, 7:20 pm   #2 (permalink)

There's really no such thing.

A jet kit includes a variety of different main fuel jets, that should fit your intended application, given what the jet kit provider knows about the make, model and average mods of your bike.

The proper main jet is the one that maintains optimal fuel mixture throughout the rev range.

Since an internal combustion engine is basically an air-pump, most mods are intended to increase the amount of air the motor can move per cycle, and thus increase horsepower (more air + more fuel = more bang).

So, you generally increase the main jet size to compensate for the increase in air, thus maintaining an optimal fuel ratio of approx 13 or 14:1.

There's a lot of better information available here:
http://www.factorypro.com/tech/indextech.html

With a filter and pipes only, you may go up 1 or 2 main jet sizes. The instructions from the kit maker will provide a recomendation.

But, every machine is different. That's the thing about carbs - once you mess with them, they can take a lot of time and trials to get right again.

Just buy the FCRs, if you can afford them. The performance increase is so far beyond what you think they can do, it's amazing.
Old May 20th, 2008, 11:20 pm   #3 (permalink)

Thanks, last time I messed with jetting was a couple of years ago with my atv which was pretty simple, based on the modifications and altitude. Right now I'm just looking to clean the duc up for spring and a good season of riding. Last weekend i got done taking the stock motor out of my 2000 sporty to replace it with a X1 lightin' motor with the fuel injection. Too many irons in the fire to upgrade to the FCR's this season. I'm goin to pull the old carbs tomorrow night. Thanks for the link.
Old May 20th, 2008, 11:29 pm   #4 (permalink)

Do you know how to read your sparkplugs? It's old-scool, but we have old-school bikes !

It's the easiest, quickest way to detect mixture.

This is a great illustrated guide:
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinf...q/faqread2.asp

Run the motor at a certain speed (high, mid and low-end tuining), hit the kill switch, pop out the plug and you can visually "read" the mixture at that RPm level. Ex. white = lean (running HOT), dark carbon = rich (and about to fail from carbon buildup). There's a tons of other ones. Check the link.

But seriously, i put off the FCRs forever, primarily cause of price and I didn't believe. I was soo wrong. I got a great deal from Hardracing.com, they were drop shipped direct from Sudco and set perfectly on arrival. I sat them on the bench and checked. What a stupendous mod. Do it. Do it with a light flywheel, and you'll be in heaven.

I'm trying LW wheels soon.
Old May 20th, 2008, 11:38 pm   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfyamr1 View Post
Do you know how to read your sparkplugs? It's old-scool, but we have old-school bikes !

It's the easiest, quickest way to detect mixture.

This is a great illustrated guide:
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinf...q/faqread2.asp

Run the motor at a certain speed (high, mid and low-end tuining), hit the kill switch, pop out the plug and you can visually "read" the mixture at that RPm level. Ex. white = lean (running HOT), dark carbon = rich (and about to fail from carbon buildup). There's a tons of other ones. Check the link.

But seriously, i put off the FCRs forever, primarily cause of price and I didn't believe. I was soo wrong. I got a great deal from Hardracing.com, they were drop shipped direct from Sudco and set perfectly on arrival. I sat them on the bench and checked. What a stupendous mod. Do it. Do it with a light flywheel, and you'll be in heaven.

I'm trying LW wheels soon.
All of the above is right on. You can spend a couple hundred for a jet kit, and more on replacement parts for the stock carbs, especially if you shop at a Ducati dealer for carb parts. Another source would be California Cycleworks (http://www.ca-cycleworks.com/shop/ca...cati/fuel.html) for carbs already set up. Get a set of Dyna coils and carbs and you will have a great running bike, assuming all else is in spec. I feel like a commercial for both, but they truely will transform your bike. Alot less headache too.

Current Rides:
1992 Ducati 900ss
2002 BMW R1150R
1978 BMW R100RS
1996 Ducati 955SP
markg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 21st, 2008, 12:05 am   #6 (permalink)

The more I hear about those carbs, the more I regret the new set of stock ones on the book shelf in the living room. I think the price is just for those FCR's, but they will have to wait till next year.
Any ideas on an up grade to the stock clutch res./lever set-up. I did the slave last summer but the issue may have been more in the master cylinder.
Thanks again for you help. Man, I wish I had been on this site earlier.
Old May 21st, 2008, 12:10 am   #7 (permalink)

Absolutely can't say enough about the performance of the FCR 41s and the Dyna coils. Fantastic combo that really transforms the bike, and a direct bolt-on that doesn't require a ton of fiddling to get right, especially if you get them from Chris at ca-cycleworks.com. His prices are right too. If it's totally out of the question, I'd recommend a jet kit from www.factorypro.com along with their trick emulsion tubes. They'll help get the stock carbs working as good as possible, though IMO that's not too good when compared to the FCRs. I never could get rid of the soft spot in the 4-5k rpm range with the stockers, no matter what jetting I ran. As far as your pipes go, you'll likely only go up a size or two on the mains and a bit of fiddling with needle height. Sounds like your bike was never setup properly for them so you should notice it running better when jetted for the pipes. Still, I'd save the money from the jet kit and put it towards the FCRs. All us crazy SS (and Monster 900) owners can't be wrong!
mxwinky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 21st, 2008, 7:30 am   #8 (permalink)

Just out curiosity, how old is the fuel filter? You're loosing a cylinder at higher rpms, does it come back if you roll off the the throttle for moment? A partly clogged filter may allow one bowl to run "dry" or lean while the other has enough to keep the engine running at higher rpms.
jack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 21st, 2008, 8:07 am   #9 (permalink)

I started on this site the day before I got my bike, say 5-6 weeks ago. I was looking at rebuilding the Mikunis and started weighing everything out. For example, the diaphragms alone are $180 ea.

Not to pile on the FCR issue, but I installed them and the Dyna kit a couple of weeks ago. When you're ready, it will be more than worth it. My biggest problem now is I love listening to the bike at full honk, and the newfound ease in which the front wheel wants to liberate itself from the pavement. I'll just have to (happily) pay the credit card down in big chunks.
2006 Triumph Tiger 955i
2007 Triumph Bonneville T100
rwantin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 23rd, 2008, 6:09 pm   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for the fuel filter thought, I'll get that replaced tomorrow too. The stuck carb can last a block or even a couple of hours after the bike is shut off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.