Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1999 750SS engine turns over, but won't start.

20K views 44 replies 11 participants last post by  TPMJB 
#1 · (Edited)
Just wondering what I should try out. I *think* the problem is the battery, as charging the battery fixed the problem for one ride last summer, but I've been unsuccessful at getting it started since.

Basically, I turn the bike on, press the starter button and it turns over multiple times but never starts up. Adjusting the fast idle switch doesn't seem to effect it either way.

I bought new plugs and new plug wires, but I have to install them still. The battery seems to be nearly dead every time I spend a couple months away from the thing. It seems to be some cheap, aftermarket one, so I'm thinking that's really my main problem. I'm at a crossroads wondering if I should invest in a gel battery, or buy the normal kind, and what brands are the best.

I still have to replace the tubing out of the bottom of the gas tank, as the original owner used duct tape to patch it. It's...pretty shady. Anyway, I didn't want to replace everything at once and not know what fixed it/have it not be fixed at all.

I was thinking either of these for batteries:
http://www.bikebandit.com/bikemaster-agm-platinum-ii-battery-ms12-16al-a2-bm?m=152850

http://www.bikebandit.com/bikemaster-yumicron-battery-bb16al-a2?m=152850

See less See more
#3 ·
Unfortunately I tried all that. I was rather unsuccessful push starting it too. I don't exactly weigh a lot, so push-starting it is a little hard...lol. Almost got it to start once.

Pretty sure the bike has been left to sit before with the key turned "on". It doesn't seem to want to hold a charge.

#5 ·
All those good reasons aside, if it will/might start on a bump start, then it is probably the connector onto the start solenoid needing pushing back on.

This as happened to me. On the right hand side of the bike bike just below the tank there is a connector to the start solenoid. I recall this connector just slips on without a barb to hold it in place. Just push it back on and hopefully you are electric starting again.

#6 ·
Okay, so I put the brand new, awesome-looking battery in, the Bikemaster TruGel, and tried starting it up. Engine appears to turn over, and it sputtered once indicating it might start. Then the same sound you hear in the video. Repeatedly. Oddly enough, when I flicked the switch off, it did the same exact thing. Adjusting the idle switch changed nothing as well.

Now it could be that Rochester, NY is at a lovely 37 degrees right now, but I thought Fuel Injection compensated for that. I've uploaded some pictures of what I think might be the culprit (fuel lines and/or the electrical device attached to the tank). and it looks like such a fun thing to fix. Anyway, it appears I'll have to try to remove the fairing with those shit rubber screw things on the bottom, which in a minute I might take a sawzall to the damned thing...

Video and pictures incoming.

Ducati doesn't want to start - YouTube

Honorable mention goes to the spark plug/wires since both look awful. I have new plugs and wires though. Have to get around to replacing them I 'spose.

Edit: The start solenoid. Yeah, that looked like absolute shite. I'll just replace the thing if it's not too expensive. I already sank enough money into this thing. I want to just move it to a different garage so it will actually be close enough to work on it!

Attachments

#7 ·
Those fuel lines and tank wiring look like a fire waiting to happen. Not that they may have anything to do with the bike not starting, just a safety precaution you should address first.

#8 ·
I was thinking that they were a problem, but "fire" didn't immediately come to mind. I assume they're not that hard to swap out? What are the lengths and gauges? Anywhere special I should go to buy them?

I was having trouble getting the lower faring off due to the rubber screw things being completely fubar. I need these things off to swap the hosing out, unless I'm a contortionist.

Like I've said in prior threads, I probably should have taken somebody who actually knew bikes to help me look at this.

Edit: Is the thing sticking out of the gas tank the starter solenoid?

#9 ·
The duct tape looks like it was used to mark the fuel lines so someone could put them back in the right location, you can see a number 4 written on one piece. Pull the duct tape off and inspect the fuel lines before you replace them. In the video the bike sounds like it's turning over fine. Quick and dirty way to check it is to remove the air filter and pour a small amount of gas in the throttle bodies or use a little starting fluid to try to start it. If it starts then you have a fuel problem, if it doesn't start then you have an ignition problem.

#11 ·
You are apparently a much more observant man than I! I'll definitely try that and I guess I'll report back!

As for the fuel filter...guess I'm not used to a bike that has one :p. Forgot those can get clogged.

*sigh* I can tell this will be the problem that is not fun to diagnose.

What's weird with it all is I started it up just fine in the summer. Road it ~70 miles. Parked it for three weeks. Tried it again annnnd nothing. Now it's a good six months later. Time does not usually help these problems.

#13 ·
It is a journey that somebody will have to drag me, kicking and screaming, most of the way. I am absolutely dense in this topic, I think ;).

But ya know, where there's a will there's a way. I firmly believe I can fix all the previous owner's mistakes. Just have to figure out what they were...

I probably won't update this thread until I get free time. Starting my second degree very soon, and full time work for pennies...not much time for fun.

#14 ·
With a good maintenance manual and time to go through it methodically you can fix about anything with the proper tools. As for the wiring at the tank, that's the fuel pump and low fuel light wiring.

#15 ·
This is a very quick reply as I have a deadline to meet.

When you turn on the bike does the fuel pump whir? If no, then there is no fuel.
If yes, then you need to find out if it is fuel or spark preventing starting.

You can remove the horizontal spark plug without removing the fairing.

Whip out the plug, put it into the plug lead and hold the spark plug thread onto the cylinder fins. If you don't have a race stand, you will need to work out how to have the bike with the kick stand up so you can crank the engine as though it was starting.

If you don't see a spark, then you have an electrical issue, which I can maybe steer you through later.
If you have spark, then it is probably fuel. With the plug out and after cranking you should be able to smell petrol. Also, if you pull the plug immediately after cranking, the plug should be wet.

If it is dry then your injectors may be clogged. I doubt that your fuel filter would the issue if it started before you laid it up.

Those rubber things are called well nuts and those at he bottom of the fairing are a PITA as the threads get clogged up. Worst case is grab them with pliers to hold the metal inserts, which will destroy them. Desmotimes stocks them. On mine, I cut about 3/4" of suitable diameter tubing, sealed one end with a cigarette lighter, then screwed it on as a thread shield.

Tell us how you go and we can see what to do next.

Richard

#17 ·
I might get banned for this and have resisted making a comment on this post for a while but cannot resist any longer.

This must be close to, if not, the most ridiculous post I have seen on this forum. Cleaning a bike does not fix this type of fault. There are no prizes for posting, so if someone has no substantial information, then don't post.

Should I test the theory though?
I have an old BSA with a broken con rod and holes punched by the rod through the crankcase. If I wash it, spray on some WD40, poke around with brushes and get out the hair dryer all will be fixed? Hope so as it will save me heaps of time and money.

The point of forums is that if someone does not know what to do, they search a forum, then if they can't find an answer, they start a new thread seeking informed opinion.

My son recently bought a his first bike (secondhand) that had turned out to have some issues. My actions included testing, then based on that we put in a new battery, stator and regulator. It now runs perfectly.
If he read a post like this one above that cleaning fixes all he might say "Dad, with your 40 years experience with bikes, why did you let me spend all that money and time, when we could just have cleaned the bike and all would be good?"

Arrivederci from Punch?

#19 ·
Some advice based on a recent forum search I did.

Looking at your Avatar (aka a pic) I reckon of you give your bike a bit of a clean you might get another 10 to 20 degrees of lean angle more than your avatar.

Hey wait a moment, spray some WD40 on it and you will be at 90 degrees.
You will get your elbow further down than Marquez!

Richard

#21 ·
Hey ! I thought stirring up shit around here was MY job ! Let's keep it simple. Clean the damn thing so you can see what's wrong and not get filthy working on it. Then, fix everything you can find wrong, regardless of what the problem is. Then, charge the battery, replace the fuel with fresh, and change the plugs. Then try to start the beast. If it won't start, ask on the forum. My bike has fifty things that might keep it from starting, and I haven't done any of them, is only going to turn into a can of worms. Help yourself first, then ask us.

#22 ·
Stirring - great fun but usually quite true, especially after a few drinks. Bear in mind that 9 or so in the morning in the US is 9 or so at night here in Oz so we might have a couple under our belt by now.

Ignoring posts in between, I reckon the OP should head back to earlier posts and I reckon have a look at my suggestion starting with "This is a very quick reply as I have a deadline to meet."

I await the OP's further info.

Richard

#29 ·
I'm thoroughly amazed! Usually I'm the one starting the flame wars :D.

I'm going to do that test by removing the air filter and pouring a little gas in to see if it's the electronics or the fuel. My guess is actually the fuel. I think I put in high octane fuel (93?), and from what I understand this bike is meant to run just 87 (which is actually a bad thing to do, I hear). I figured since I had this exotic Italian bike, I'd have to run the premium. Though I'm sure running %10 ethanol, which is seemingly standard in New York, is probably not good for it either. Then it sat for two months...

Next chance I get I'll work on it my entire day. I'm starting Nursing school in less than a week, so it's either now or never!

@Ducpton -I do agree though, it needs cleaning. Friend of mine just got a garage 5 minutes away from me, instead of 30, so I'd have more of a reason to work on it. I wanted the thing to run long enough to move it, so we could both work on our bikes.

Also, I have to be able to remove those stupid screws that hold the lower fairing on. I have a bunch of maintenance waiting for that.

#30 ·
I'm going to do that test by removing the air filter and pouring a little gas in to see if it's the electronics or the fuel.
Whilst I have never tried it, it seems risky pouring in fuel. I think it would be much simpler and safer to pull the front spark plug. There are spray cans for spraying "fuel" into carbs, air filters whatever. Aerostart is one brand. Mostly because of the name, i use "Start ya bastard" here in Oz. As I was out of it, I used a lighter gas refuelling can and sprayed it into the air filter on a little bike we were trying to get going, after checking there was spark.

this bike is meant to run just 87 (which is actually a bad thing to do, I hear). I figured since I had this exotic Italian bike, I'd have to run the premium. Though I'm sure running %10 ethanol, which is seemingly standard in New York, is probably not good for it either. Then it sat for two months...
The owners manual states 95-98 RON for my 2001 Australian model.
There may be "gum" in the injectors from being left a long time although I have left mine that long without problems.

As per my earlier post, does the fuel pump whir when you turn things on?

Richard

#31 ·
Cleaning is a BIG PLUS

I work on airplanes and even with a brand new airplane, the best way to inspect it is to take it apart and clean, and touch and feel everything.

One of the most productive ways to find out whats going on with the bike is cleaning.

No, obvious damage will not be repaired by cleaning, but the extent of the damage is easier to evaluate if the equipment is clean.

#35 ·
Bad night on TV Chris? The last post was in April.

However 3 months on it does make me wonder if it was resolved and if so will the solution be posted for all to see.

Forecast is good tomorrow, so might even risk a blat down the old road to the cafe.

#37 ·
Good luck with your degree.

Reading back through the posts it looks like you have not tried any of the suggestions. Maybe i missed something.

Just my opinion, but putting a new battery into a bike that was already cranking is unlikely to fix whatever the problem is.

Until you try some/all of the suggestions, then there is no info for any of us to hone in on to help you.

#45 ·
It was acting like the battery wouldn't hold a charge. I base this on the fact that I'd charge it one day, and a couple days later it would not have a charge. Charging the battery got it starting once. Due to this battery being somewhat expensive, I disconnected the battery terminals in case I had a short somewhere, or something. Next time I'll have someone who knows what he's looking at to help me decide on a bike -_-.

I might work on it this week as I have off from school. School is a two hour drive, and unfortunately I have to work on moving out there so that my only functioning vehicle (car) doesn't prematurely die on me.

Trust me guys, I'd love to have time to work on this bike and not schoolwork.

Edit: Unfortunately with my ribs getting worse (from the last motorcycle accident) and from the extreme distance my school is from where it's stored, this might be something I have to sell or just ignore for the next couple years until I graduate and I find a doctor who's willing to work on my ribs. Kinda sucks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.