Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Dry Clutch through the years

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  ryanr256 
#1 ·
Since there have been a few other clutch related questions I decided it would be a great time to put this out there.

Yes I know it is sacrilegious to bad mouth the baglioni dry clutch sound but I must know...

Dry clutches make noise but as I recall different years of Ducati bikes have had different clutches. All interchangeable but different none the less.

My 99 900ss had a steal basket and steal plates ( I know that to be true because they are starting to rust a bit).

I remember from other posts that I can't seem to find now that the ie bikes (02+?) had clutch baskets and clutch packs made out of aluminum.

I currently have a speedymoto pressure plate on my clutch and I have noticed that my clutch makes more of a high pitch cling clang. More like a pair of badly tuned symbols.

I have noticed that on newer bikes (listing to all the pretty noises at the local shop) they make a much more appealing rattle rattle shuffle noise. Like a hand full of bearing and other small bits of metal in a dryer. Much more base and a lot less high pitch noise.

I love the sound of the Ducati clutch but my clutch (only 6k miles mind you), if just a bit much.

I actually need to replace my clutch pack and wanted to know my options. If the aluminum plates would make the clutch a bit less like a brass band I'm all game. I also have an opportunity to replace the whole assembly with components from an 06. This would be the above mentioned aluminum setup correct?

See less See more
#4 ·
DucatiGal said:
I just had the clutch replaced on my '95. My dealer used a Barnetts...aluminum with steel inserts. It's much quieter. Too quiet, if ya ask me! :)
+1 on the Barnett basket...
Considerably quieter
I also agree it is too quiet, but the more miles you put on it the louder it gets.:D

#5 ·
Hi Chris,

Did you want to sell me your "red" pressure plates? :)

#6 ·
demoni said:
I have noticed that on newer bikes (listing to all the pretty noises at the local shop) they make a much more appealing rattle rattle shuffle noise. Like a hand full of bearing and other small bits of metal in a dryer.
Wow, yes...that IS an appealing noise!

Thank goodness the 800 has a wet clutch.

#7 ·
Actually, I love the sound of your bike (Demoni's) when I krode with you on Ducati Day. I was worried at first when I got my bike that I got a wet clutch and not having the option of having an option clutch cover.

At least, you can always replace the cover after a while to have a different sound again, like what you did. If you eventually miss the sound, just take off the cover.

If I had the money, I would purchase this in a second:

Motowheels Set

#8 ·
I changed my 900ssie to a full Alu clutch, Basket and plates and IT IS much quieter and not so much the ring ding but more of a clack clack. Its also a kilo lighter so the motor spins up more freely. If you have to change everything anyway its worth doing. and its DIY in about an hour. And because its a dry clutch its not a messy oily job.

Chris

p.s. a ducati with a wet clutch???? na!

#9 ·
ducatiti said:
Actually, I love the sound of your bike (Demoni's) when I krode with you on Ducati Day. I was worried at first when I got my bike that I got a wet clutch and not having the option of having an option clutch cover.

At least, you can always replace the cover after a while to have a different sound again, like what you did. If you eventually miss the sound, just take off the cover.

If I had the money, I would purchase this in a second:

Motowheels Set
Thanks for posting that ducatiti I have been looking at clutch kits and that looks good.

#10 ·
hammer said:
Thanks for posting that ducatiti I have been looking at clutch kits and that looks good.
You're welcome. I've been looking around for a long time and that set seems like the best deal, but note they are not billet. Let me know how it goes.

I am kinda hesitant because I'm not sure if I can do it myself without messing up something.

#11 ·
There is an exact copy of this pressure plate from carbon world for about 90.00 plus shipping...the Speedy moto one is better IMO as it offers better protection ...check out Speedy MOtos..then go to carbonworld.com....good luck
Mike

#12 ·
Resurrected thread from the dead - thanks ducatiti!

I really think that the difference of sound I am thinking about is the steel vs alu basket.

I honestly go through phases. One week I want the ring a ding a ding dong of the clutch the next no so much. I feel bad because every time I put the cover back on I hide my speedymoto gold bling. Just depends on my mood.

Mike that pressure plate has your name written all over it, im really surprised you have not jumped on it.

Speaking of crazy talk... I am going to be putting my stock pipes :eek: back on in a few weeks. Just for a week a swear, I am going a on trip and however much I love my boom boom Remus pipes they don't serve a purpose here. I love the pipes in the city (it get's you noticed by cagers and that is always good) and when im getting on the throttle on weekend rides. Yet when I am out in nature it's about doing as little negative impact as possible. Noise has it's place and the forest is not that place.

Ride report will follow

#13 ·
The new Barnett plates in a stock basket are pretty quiet.

For the ultimate in quiet check out the Pro-Cutting basket with the Barnett plates at DesmoTimes ( http://www.desmotimes.com ). Each tang on each plate is hand filed for a custom fit in the basket. The Pro-Cutting basket is hard anodized for long life.

Some say the Pro-Cutting basket and Barnett clutch plates with an open clutch cover are quieter than the stock setup with a closed cover.

-Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.