Repairing a rusty or leaking SS tank - Page 8 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #71 of 79 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2013, 12:42 pm

just tried POR-15.. on my sv650..... worked wonders.... thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 79 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2013, 12:12 pm

Phosphorus acid will do the trick. One liter acid (30% acid, 70% water) and small rocks inside tank. Then just wait and shake once in a while. After a while there is no rust left and the surface is somehow resistant to rust. If you do that trick with citric acid you have to dry it very fast because after that treatment iron is almost immediately in rust. I don't like the idea of cover rotten tank with layer of sealer or plastic kind of stuff when the problem itself is still in there.

Here is a link to my blog where you can see how it works. Text is written in finnish, but there is also pictures of that project. It will remove part of the paint inside tank but after this treatment it is easy to fix.

Tankin putsaus ruosteesta | Mäniksen blogi

Last edited by sledgrehammer; Jul 15th, 2013 at 2:48 am.
post #73 of 79 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2013, 5:54 pm

Great thread! I did the tank on my '93 900SS this summer after seeing your post. My Guzzi's are next.

1993 Ducati 900SS
1993 Moto Guzzi Daytona 1000
1996 Moto Guzzi Sport 1100

post #74 of 79 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2013, 11:28 am

My 2006 1000SS suffered from the cracked spot weld. Inside of the tank was rust free so I opted to have the radiator repair shop flood the hinge bracket with solder. Took him a few weeks longer than quoted but he did do a nice job, charged $50, and I luckily have several other bikes to ride.

Been trying to make up for lost time by racking up the fall miles.
post #75 of 79 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2014, 8:38 pm

I now have a leaking spot weld. Rad Shop sounds like a great idea.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

SportBikeTrackTime

1999 Ducati 900SSie
John Deere 42"
Tora 22" sp

enjoy life ride a duc today.
post #76 of 79 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2015, 7:25 pm

i have a small leak on this bike i just got, 1999 750ss. the tank previously was sealed, my leak is at the bottom of the tank where there is a small round fitting/vent with an o ring for a seal. maybe my o ring has dried out? can someone explain what this fitting and o ring are for and a fix? thanks!

1999 750ss, first Ducati. Gone but not forgotten.
2005 999, my liter streeter. Never tracked, never will.
post #77 of 79 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2015, 10:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonBSG75 View Post
i have a small leak on this bike i just got, 1999 750ss. the tank previously was sealed, my leak is at the bottom of the tank where there is a small round fitting/vent with an o ring for a seal. maybe my o ring has dried out? can someone explain what this fitting and o ring are for and a fix? thanks!

HA! I just posted a thread about this. That is the drain plug. I guess it is supposed to be an AL or copper crush washer. So if its rubber, I would replace it.

OH now my problem, any household solutions for dealing with flash rust on the tank?

1999 750SS
2007 Triumph Daytona 675
post #78 of 79 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2015, 4:35 am

POR 15 an my 'fear-and-loathing-in-las-vegas-Ducati-gas-tank-overhaul' procedure

Okay, i finally cleared an afternoon, and stated the most dreaded restoration job on my SS: cleaning my tank.
After i read this post, i was sold to the POR 15, orderded it, and i left this job last, just to make sure the tank will not sit empty for a long time.
Mind you, i started a complete overhaul of my 98 SS i.e. 11 months ago, planning a cafe racer conversion.
The tank in question comes from a 96 600SS, left to decay in a barn; the previous owner bought for scrap, but was refused, beacuse of the plastics and mixed aluminium parts, so he sold it. I only bought the bike for the tank, and man, that bike was in a sorry state. but the tank had no leaks, so i went for it. I have to say, the inside had around 3-4 mm of solid rust inside. Solid, evenly distributed rust. It looked like it sat on the bottom of the ocean for a year. No leaks, though. Check out my first image.
6 or 7 months before the POR 15 treatment, the tank was filled to the brim with 100% apple vinegar 6% solution, and left for a3-4 days. My garage still smells like vinegar and rusty nails, even after 6-7 months. It will litterally knock your socks off. After a thorough cleaning, the inside looked clean, all the piping was ok, so i left it on the shelf for a later date.

Now, that day is here. It took me around 9 hours for the complete procedure, i followed it to the letter. Some thoughts on each product from the kit.
The Cleaner was a bit dissappointing, as it seemed weak in force, as i respected the 1:1 dilution. I've had better results with vinegar, honestly. Same goes for the MarineClean. Mine did not create the froth that everyone mentions; i left it in extensively, 30-40 min for each side/panel, and a thorough flush and hot water treatment in between sessions. I was draining the Marine before each flush. The result was satisfactory, although i would have preffered to use a vinegar solution in between sessions, and use the Marine after the vinegar part. Some flash of rust remained, though, but i used very hot water and dried it immediately, using my wife's high performance hairdryer. That sucker has 2200Watts, mind you. I had to use welding gloves in order to hold the tank, it got that hot
The liner is another bitch: it took me 20 minutes to crack open the tiny can, and another 10-15 to mix the product.
The whole garage smelled like Marine Clean and liner; it all felt weird and hazy, like a "Fear and Loathing in LV' scene, plus i was using beer as a gap-filler in between sessions.
I did the best i could to evenly cover all the surfaces, making sure there were no bubbles(impossible task), and no puddles( a big no-no).
It was 4 AM, and my head was a haze by the time i drained the remaining liner. I removed all the inside/outside pipe protection, inserting a wood chip in each, to prevent clogging overnight.
The result though, is amazing: it all looks new inside. Now i understand all the hype around the POR15. I hope it will hold, as i have read horror stories, with exfoliation and flaking, but i hope all that was because of the puddles left inside.
I hope this helps in some way.
Here's some pics of various stages of the procedure, as well as a preview of my shed project.

Mihai
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender1.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	411.5 KB
ID:	597498   Click image for larger version

Name:	POR 15 after Marine.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	545.5 KB
ID:	597506   Click image for larger version

Name:	POR 15 after cleaner.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	497.5 KB
ID:	597514   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2006.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	836.1 KB
ID:	597522   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2004.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	783.0 KB
ID:	597530  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2003.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	688.4 KB
ID:	597538   Click image for larger version

Name:	POR15 after liner.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	349.7 KB
ID:	597546  

'cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run' - The Boss
'98 900SS i.e. / '96 600SS / Vespa ET4 1998 125
post #79 of 79 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 2016, 1:43 pm
Prolific Poster Award

Garage
Used POR (professionally applied...not by me) and two years later ( I wasn't riding much...probably 3K mi. in two years) it lifted screwing up the tank and filter. Ended up buying another tank.

bruce19
'05 SS1000DS
'14 Ford Focus ST
'05 MASI Gran Criterium S
'13 GURU steel w/SRAM Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode