Repairing a rusty or leaking SS tank - Page 3 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 79 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2008, 9:12 pm

Could you more experience guys (and gals!! - Duchess!!) take a look at my latest thread and let me know what sort of tank prep an earlier owner used??

THANKS VERY MUCH!!

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/57-supersport/46125-my-story-sad-but-true.html#post434079

I need to lube my chain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 79 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2008, 2:49 pm

I have a question, and it may be dumb, but a question none the less. I see there is a metal tube in there which i assume comes off the fuel pump/filter assembly. Do you not have to worry about the POR-15 getting in there and clogging it up? Sorry if this is a waste of your time, but im new to the motorcycle thing. Thank you for your time.

2000 750SS Yellow (I heard it was the fast color)
post #23 of 79 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2008, 3:13 am

Nvr.fnsh, you need to cover the pipes up with duct tape. If you apply well enough, you should be able to do all the cleaning and prepping without the tape coming off. If you're not sure, just apply new tape before putting in the sealant.

1998 900ss - Yellow! (Desdemona)

post #24 of 79 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2008, 2:45 pm

Duchess, thank you very much for the insight.

2000 750SS Yellow (I heard it was the fast color)
post #25 of 79 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2008, 11:08 pm

Any time! Us yellow riders have got to stick together!

1998 900ss - Yellow! (Desdemona)
post #26 of 79 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 5:13 pm

I just completed this process and would like to add one more note regarding this treatment.

I noticed within a couple hours of pouring in the liner (and draining out the excess) that there were pockmarks in the liner. I realized that the pockmarks were only in locations where the liner was a little thicker than other areas. I also realized (now too late) that some ingredient in the liner has to evaporate in order for it to dry. If the liner is a bit too thick, then the evaporation from the 'underneath' portion has to work it's way out. The upper portion is already partially dry. As a result, the process forms very small pockmarks.

I don't think it will negatively impact the efficacy of the treatment. However, I wanted to post this so that others in the future will be aware.... drain as much of the tank liner out as possible so that it doesn't puddle or remain thick in the low-lying areas of the tank.

I need to lube my chain.
post #27 of 79 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2008, 6:29 am

Some great tips there. My bike came to a stop the other day and I suspected the fuel filter or something. Opened up the tank and I found this. It's not leaking "Yet" but I believe I'll have to do something soon. Thanks for the article.
post #28 of 79 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2008, 6:43 pm

I meant to include a picture of the offending tank.
post #29 of 79 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 4:11 pm

Question How do you get filter out of tank??

I don't think it was addressed but how do you remove the inlet assembly after taking off the gas cap assembly. I'm afraid that if I try to force the thing off I'll end up doing more damage to the tank. I've ordered the Por-15 kit but I'm trying to prep the tank before it gets here. Thanks for any help with this, new bike for me 04 800ss yellow, want to treat it with care.
post #30 of 79 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 6:54 am

cap

there are several hex head grub screws to remove from the inner edge,then put the handle of a wooden hammer through the hole and gently lever the cap up whilst working around in a circle
they not keen on comming out but some patience will get the job done,its worse trying to get them back in,use rubber grease and a rubber mallet to tap(wack) it back in
dont forget to fit the breather hoses b4 u refit it!!
cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode