'95 900ss carb idle circuit settings - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Supersport

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 10:56 pm   #1 (permalink)

'95 900ss carb idle circuit settings

I've been doing some work on my new (to me) 900sscr which included cleaning the carbs. I'd never cleaned carbs before, but it was full of gelled gasoline(?) and really needed it. I cleaned the jets etc and in the process I'm not sure I replaced the idle jet correctly. Let me explain: as I understand it, the idle circuit is made up of an idle jet and the idle screw. The both are removable, but only the idle screw is accessible from the outside of the float bowl. Now before I fully understood what was going on, I may have misinterpreted the screw settings for the idle screw to apply to the jet. So I while reassembling the carbs I think I set the idle jet 2.5 turns out. I need to go back in to verify this, but before I do, what is the correct setting for the jet? Should it be seated all the way in?

Lastly, in regards to adjusting the idle screw I keep reading that turning the screw out makes the mixture more lean. But it seems to make the mix more rich (sluggish response, higher Rpms, fuel smell in exhaust). Am I just totally backwards?

Anyway I can't wait to get these setting right and get rid of this flat response at the bottom of my throttle!

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
jbergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 30th, 2012, 2:17 am   #2 (permalink)

Do you mean the pilot jet inside the float bowls you set 2.5 turns out? that needs to be all the way in snug. The idle mixture screws should be set around 2.5 turns out after lightly seating them.
PeterVentura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 11:52 am   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVentura View Post
Do you mean the pilot jet inside the float bowls you set 2.5 turns out? that needs to be all the way in snug. The idle mixture screws should be set around 2.5 turns out after lightly seating them.
After sealing up the bowls and really understanding what was going on in there, that's exactly what I thought. On the plus side, I can now break down and fix my carbs super fast now!

Thanks for the confirmation!! Looks like I've got a little Sunday project ready to go

Old Jun 30th, 2012, 12:45 pm   #4 (permalink)

Idle mixture screws richen the idle as they are unscrewed, screwing them in makes it more lean (as you noticed).
1998 900 SS/FE #299
Joe-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 5:12 pm   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-B View Post
Idle mixture screws richen the idle as they are unscrewed, screwing them in makes it more lean (as you noticed).
That makes a ton of sense (in terms of physics too). I must have gotten some bad info or just interpreted it incorrectly. Thanks!!

Old Jun 30th, 2012, 5:56 pm   #6 (permalink)

i generally replace pilot jets that have been blocked due to their small size and how hard it is to clean them accurately. i'd set the mixture screws at 4 turns out too.
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 9:17 pm   #7 (permalink)

depending upon pilot jet size, a guitar string can "poke " them to spec

available in .001" graduations at your local music store

Also, the pilot path from jet orifice to screw orifice should be blown aggressively from both directions (with diaphragms removed for damage prevention)

as there is a pilot path chamber there you can't see

Beware to assemble the pilot screw orings, washers and springs in correct order

I just split my carbs....new needles, seals , orings to great success
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 1:33 am   #8 (permalink)

Some carbs actually do operate the other way on the idle mixture screws and only control airflow which means turning out would lean the mixture, not ours though. So in a general sense it wasnt necessarily bad info...

Wow guitar strings, good idea!
PeterVentura is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement