Engine case repair - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Supersport

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Dec 10th, 2011, 11:13 am   #1 (permalink)

Engine case repair

I acquired an 05 DS 1000 engine complete with a cracked/ broken front engine mount on thr left side crank case. I removed both cylinders so I could get access to the crack for a weld repair. Any opinion on welding up the crack without splitting the cases? The crack is actually more than just a crack the entire upper half of the mount is broken away so it can be beveled back for a decent weld.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 11th, 2011, 10:52 am   #2 (permalink)

This is going to be tricky to do well. Find a real expert in TIG welding. Spend a lot of time cleaning the weld area, especially down in the crack area. Al welding is very sensitive to contamination. Pre-heat the case as much as possible to minimize heat stresses and burn off contaminents. Good luck!
boosted_sled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 11th, 2011, 10:55 am   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian996 View Post
I acquired an 05 DS 1000 engine complete with a cracked/ broken front engine mount on thr left side crank case. I removed both cylinders so I could get access to the crack for a weld repair. Any opinion on welding up the crack without splitting the cases? The crack is actually more than just a crack the entire upper half of the mount is broken away so it can be beveled back for a decent weld.
Any photos please? Hard to say without seeing the crack itself?
470four is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 11th, 2011, 2:58 pm   #4 (permalink)

here are 3 shots of the damaged engine mount as you can see this is more than a crack and is probably easier to make a quality repair. I think the broken piece can be beveled to create decent "V" for welding... but then again I am not a welder. The dark grey material on the case is the remains of the epoxy repair from the previous owner.
Attached Thumbnails
Engine case repair-dsc01505.jpg   Engine case repair-dsc01506.jpg   Engine case repair-dsc01507.jpg  
Old Dec 12th, 2011, 2:46 am   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian996 View Post
here are 3 shots of the damaged engine mount as you can see this is more than a crack and is probably easier to make a quality repair. I think the broken piece can be beveled to create decent "V" for welding... but then again I am not a welder. The dark grey material on the case is the remains of the epoxy repair from the previous owner.
Off topic a little, but just being nosey - how did they manage to crack the case there, was it from being in a crash and had crash bungs fitted or something else?
cs363 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.