http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Motorcycle Forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Supersport

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 8:21 pm   #1 (permalink)
I hear airplanes

JE high-comp install 900SS

Question for those who have dropped in some JE high-comp pistons.

Just double checking my work/clearances, here is what I came up with.

Top ring - .014" gap
Second ring - .022 gap
oil control rings - .015"

The above is how they came.

Also...the valve reliefs appear to be the same size....but I'm double checking there isn't a "install towards front" type orientation.

I also noticed a small marking "N" on the top ring. I installed both of these up, although I'm not sure it matters.

Piston to wall clearance is .0022 - .0025" Nothing I can really do about that, but I'm hoping that will work.

Experiences/thoughts are appreciated!

TAftonomos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 3:28 am   #2 (permalink)

You don't say whether they are 92 or 94mm, but I don't suppose that makes any difference to the answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAftonomos View Post
Question for those who have dropped in some JE high-comp pistons.

Just double checking my work/clearances, here is what I came up with.

Top ring - .014" gap
Second ring - .022 gap
oil control rings - .015"

The above is how they came.
I guess this depends on the bore?

Quote:
Also...the valve reliefs appear to be the same size....but I'm double checking there isn't a "install towards front" type orientation.
They are different sizes. Larger to the INLET - beware of 'front' or 'rear' - think INLET / EXHAUST.

Quote:
I also noticed a small marking "N" on the top ring. I installed both of these up, although I'm not sure it matters.
It DOES matter but I think N on top is correct, if no-one else jumps in I will check later.

Quote:
Piston to wall clearance is .0022 - .0025" Nothing I can really do about that, but I'm hoping that will work.
The clearances, and where on the bore to measure them comes with the piston. You can have Nikasil stripped / replated / honed or cylinder bored and re plated. Google 'Langcourt'
Pict is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 4:55 am   #3 (permalink)

Hi,

with the pistion should be an instruction sheet. Rings will normally have to be gapped. I have very seldomly not needed to adjust the gap on new rings. The "n" goes up.

The piston clearance should be checked with a bore gauge... You can also hone Nikasil with the proper flex hone.

If you don not have or have lost the instructions you should contact JP to get the exact specs.

Gray
herrgray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 8:29 am   #4 (permalink)
I hear airplanes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pict View Post
You don't say whether they are 92 or 94mm, but I don't suppose that makes any difference to the answers
92mm

Quote:
They are different sizes. Larger to the INLET - beware of 'front' or 'rear' - think INLET / EXHAUST.
Hmmm...the mic up the same

Quote:
It DOES matter but I think N on top is correct, if no-one else jumps in I will check later.

Quote:
The clearances, and where on the bore to measure them comes with the piston. You can have Nikasil stripped / replated / honed or cylinder bored and re plated. Google 'Langcourt'
They are "drop-in" pistons, and my piston to wall clearance is listed above.

No where on the spec sheet of the piston are the suggested ring gaps. There are measurements for the actual machine work on the piston, but nothing about ring gap. Piston to wall clearance is listed at .0020, mine are measuring .0002-.0003 larger, which I can't imagine would be a problem.

I'm looking for people who have installed these things to let me know where I'm at. I've obviously already checked the piston/wall clearance, know what a dial bore gauge is, etc.

Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 9:21 am   #5 (permalink)

If your in spec then you are good to go...
.0002-3 is just fine. Piston clearance is minium clearance. De-glaze the cylinder with a fine scotch brite pad.

I have installed many piston kits... Arias, JE, Weisco, Cosworth...

Gray
herrgray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 10:37 am   #6 (permalink)

Hi,

Here is the work I did on mine.
1994 900SS engine work completed

Your clearances are good. Ring gaps are fine and the "N" goes up. The piston only goes in one way. The diameter of the valve pockets in the top of the piston are different! The smaller dia pocket goes to the exhaust valve pocket. I recommend ball honing the bores, it wont change the diameter much and will have a better surface. I took mine to Ducati Milwaukee and they brushed it while I waited. I had them do it, just so I wouldn't have to buy a hone that size.

I had the same questions with my JE piston kit, so I called JE and they said run it! I have several thousand miles on it now and I love it.

And for me being a Pilot and A&P, thanks for your help as a controller.

Cheerio and I hope this helps.

Bill
1994 Ducati 900 SS CR
2001 aprilia RST Futura
Bill T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 11:01 am   #7 (permalink)
I hear airplanes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill T View Post
Hi,

Here is the work I did on mine.
1994 900SS engine work completed

Your clearances are good. Ring gaps are fine and the "N" goes up. The piston only goes in one way. The diameter of the valve pockets in the top of the piston are different! The smaller dia pocket goes to the exhaust valve pocket. I recommend ball honing the bores, it wont change the diameter much and will have a better surface. I took mine to Ducati Milwaukee and they brushed it while I waited. I had them do it, just so I wouldn't have to buy a hone that size.

I had the same questions with my JE piston kit, so I called JE and they said run it! I have several thousand miles on it now and I love it.

And for me being a Pilot and A&P, thanks for your help as a controller.

Cheerio and I hope this helps.

Bill
Thanks Bill. Nice work on those exhaust retainers and even more so on the dual plug heads!!!

Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 11:25 am   #8 (permalink)

I was told not to use a hone on the Nikasil bores, I used a scotch brite pad and that cleaned up the glaze nicely when I did the drop-ins.
LeoLegend is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 11:30 am   #9 (permalink)
I hear airplanes

Also...while I wait on Orings the dealer forgot to send me.

I installed the base gaskets DRY. Problem?

Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 8:22 pm   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Also...while I wait on Orings the dealer forgot to send me.

I installed the base gaskets DRY. Problem?
no problem there, dry is the way to do it.
LeoLegend is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.