ohlin forks for 900ss 93 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Supersport

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Sep 7th, 2011, 4:42 am   #1 (permalink)

ohlin forks for 900ss 93

Hi, started a massive rebuild on a 93 900 ss and would like to change forks over to Ohlins, any easy way of doing it? Thanks
sharpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 7th, 2011, 6:09 am   #2 (permalink)

Maybe the old 888 Ohlins are a straight fit. The triple clamps from an 888 seem to be the same as the 900SS (but then again, so does the M900 triples and they have a different ofset).

You need other triples or have the stock ones adjusted to use a more recent Ohlins fork.
Old Sep 7th, 2011, 9:00 am   #3 (permalink)

ohlins FG 845 forks are the correct diameter 50mm for the 900. They will bolt up to the stock triples.
ian996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2011, 5:12 am   #4 (permalink)

I'll keep an eye on this as I'm planning to do the same (at some point) - my Ohlins are currently on my Falco but came from an RSVR - I'm hoping to use the whole Aprilia yolk and find suitable bearings OR I seem to remember seeing that the 900ss stem can be pressed in different yolks.

From my poor memory my Ohlins are 53mm top diameter.

This has been done before but I think with 50mm Ohlins as stated - I seem to remember cyclecat offered an upper yolk to do the proper conversion.

Good luck - Frank

PS - Get some 4 pad calipers from an RSVR or 749, you'll love the improvement!

Currrent Bikes:
1993 944SS: Everything has been fiddled with
2001 ST4S: The new kid on the block
2001 Aprilia Falco: Ohlins forks, Oz wheels = Stealth Fighter.

My 900ss Resource: http://900ss.proboards.com/
Iconic944ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2011, 5:18 am   #5 (permalink)

Some good info here:

Ohlins forks on SS?

Currrent Bikes:
1993 944SS: Everything has been fiddled with
2001 ST4S: The new kid on the block
2001 Aprilia Falco: Ohlins forks, Oz wheels = Stealth Fighter.

My 900ss Resource: http://900ss.proboards.com/
Iconic944ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2011, 5:34 am   #6 (permalink)

If you have plenty of money, nothing is impossible. I do recommend doing the research first though as there are a lot of hidden costs. With my recent fork rebuild on a '94, I ended up going down the Race Tech road rather than the Ohlins even though I was able to access some cheap forks. It was definitely worth doing anyway.
Flash Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2011, 5:40 am   #7 (permalink)

By coincidence, I'm currently working on my engine and getting the bike painted at the same time. If you need a hand with anything, give me a shout. I'm probably not that far away if you're NOR?
Flash Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2011, 10:20 am   #8 (permalink)

I'm gonna chime in here a little because I have found myself considering an older SS as a project bike and have similar thoughts. I'll start with this...

Ducati Supersport Complete Triple Assembly - Includes Upper and Lower Triple Clamps - Fits all super: SpeedyMoto Ducati

Is this set-up a bolt on application for the pre-'98 SS's?? If so, wouldn't this simply allow you to add forks, fender, brakes, wheels, etc; a bolt on swap-over if you will from any SBK with 53mm forks...which if I recall, would work with forks off of almost anything: 749/999/848/1098/etc??

I've been trying to follow discussions on adding late model wheels to older SS's and this has it's challenges as well. Seems going this route, albeit quite pricey, would eliminate some headache??

I don't know that I'm correct about these tripples making the rest of the project a bolt on application, but if I am this could be the bulk of your investment. There's always great SBK forks and wheels floating around for sale used at some really great deals sometimes.

'05 749s...Termi 54mm full system, 41t sproket, DiD chain, Evoluzione fender eliminator, PCIII/custom map, Pazzo Levers, Puig DB Windscreen, Penske Shock, CRS Forks, CF everything.

www.ducati-owners-group.com

"Freedom, for those who fought for it, has a flavor the protected will never know..."
galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2011, 11:29 am   #9 (permalink)
Ducati.MS sponsor

When going to SBK forks on a early 900SS, you have to consider axle size, speedo pick-up, clip-ons, fender mounts and brake mounts-- in addition to the triples for the larger SBK fork tubes.

We've done quite a few fork conversions on Supersports and Monsters. If you get the right forks, you can save a lot of money and minimize the amount of extra parts that you have to get later.

Showa SBK forks are also an option and much less expensive than Ohlins SBK forks. But consider the age and condition of anyforks you buy as many are in need of rebuilding or at least freshening up.

-M

05 999R
01 996R
98 900SS FE
96 M944
07 1098
06 SC1000
10 Streetfighter
02 MV Agusta F4
02 ST4S
12 1199S
06 Paul Smart

Last edited by moto; Sep 8th, 2011 at 12:02 pm.
moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2011, 11:33 am   #10 (permalink)

If you can live without the external visuals of a Ohlins fork, you can have better-than-OEM-Ohlins performance with your stock fork if you have it rebuilt with Ohlins internals. Rick at Cogent Dynamics (NC Rick on here) can modify the internals and custom valve a 20mil Ohilins comp/rebound kit w/ springs on the old 900SS forks, or you can go balls out and have him install a 25mil cartdridge kits (again, adapted for use in 900SS fork). Probably spend about the same money on the 25mil retrofit as you would on a complete Ohlins fork, but then you know it's freshly rebuilt and valved and sprung precisely for your weight. That was my logic.
ThrottleJock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement